• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy beacon newbie-where to buy from?

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Ok so I know how to search old posts and such, but I am looking for the newest technology. Been riding out West now for 10 plus years and no one in the group uses a beacon. Well we're just plain lucky no one has gotten in trouble yet. Time to get unstupid and buy them. Probably looking to pick up 6 or more and wondering where to shop at. We want the best technology and ease of search. I would truly appreciate any help out there as I can only read the reviews on the companies website. Looking of some field reviews. My condolences go out to those we have lost this year from slides. I'm going to be an advocate of beacons and spread the word.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
BCA Trackers are the simplest to use, IMO, although I haven't been around any of the new beacons in the last 5 yrs or so, maybe there's others.
Going on 12yrs on my old beacon and it still works great. Down to about $16/yr + new batteries cost!
If you're on a budget, I'd hit up the swap meet here and start buying them up.

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Do all beacons communicate with each other? Or do they have to be the same brand?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Good start...

Ok so I know how to search old posts and such, but I am looking for the newest technology. Been riding out West now for 10 plus years and no one in the group uses a beacon. Well we're just plain lucky no one has gotten in trouble yet. Time to get unstupid and buy them. Probably looking to pick up 6 or more and wondering where to shop at. We want the best technology and ease of search. I would truly appreciate any help out there as I can only read the reviews on the companies website. Looking of some field reviews. My condolences go out to those we have lost this year from slides. I'm going to be an advocate of beacons and spread the word.

You are on the right track for sure. Step 2 is becoming proficient with them. I have seen people wear them and get lulled into complacency just by having them on. I have also seen people wear them and not even know how to turn them to search mode. If you have a group of 6, split up into teams of three and practice. Have one group bury one or two beacons in a pack while the other group is not in sight. (Make sure you do this on extremely low angle terrain with zero chance of any avalanche) Make them hard to find, and make them do it in under 15 minutes. It is an eye opening experience. Good on you for taking the initiative...it's never too late to learn something new.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I got mine at SnowBigDeal.com. I recommend the Pieps DSP. They're more expensive than the Tracker but have longer range and IMO are even more easier to use. In Avy practice drills the DSP is the fastest period at finding a buried beacon. It's also a favorite of the instructors. The one to steer away from is the Ortovox S1. According to the avy instructors it's flip-open design is fragile and it doesn't hold up well to cold weather.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
X4 on snowbigdeal. Especial for a group buy as they will give disounts. Make sure everyone get probes as well. Then get together with your buds on a friday night and strap a beer to a beacon hide it. 1st to find it gets the beer. Then repeat... If you guys ever get snow down there, rather hide it, just chuck it out the door. Make a game of it. The more you practice, the more apt you are to save each others lives. Seconds count. Seriously, Wrap a beer to a beacon up at the cabin on a trip and chuck the beacon. Hide the rest of the beer. Someone will go find the last beer! Great game... and life saving skill.

Premium Features