• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker cold air intake - Opinions?

Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB
Anyone running their filter outside the hood like this?

I have a Silber kit and was thinking of plumbing mine out. I know there are lots of advantages to getting the cold air, but what about the disadvantages of the air filter hanging out front?

Ever get knocked off? Plug up while doing a down-hill side hill? Durability for when you roll over to get unstuck? Thanks folks.

cold air.jpg

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Ever thought about plumbing it over to the stock intake on your silber kit? The problem with the one sticking out of the hood is it always gets iced up and then sled runs like crap. Ask a lot of yamaha apex guys that use to run these, even filters at the rear of the sled like MCX before they snorkeled it up higher were no good. I think the intake behind the console is better because it won't collect as much snow and is easy to wipe off, you don't have to stop and get off your sled to do it.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
In the powder I think you will hate it and not just in downhill right turns. Talking to someone who has been in the business for awhile told me that he thinks it funny the cycles that snowmobiles go through. This is what he told me. "Years ago when people first started running turbos someone came up with the idea that to run a snorkel for cold fresh air and more power. This became the latest and greatest thing that the kit makers started doing. Then everyone got sick of clogging and bogging due to iced over intakes. Next the latest was under hood intake for no bog in powder. Looks like we are back to the snorkels, clogging and bogging."

IMO I think if you are wanted every once of power and more of a hill climber it may be worth it. But if you boondock and play around I think you are going to be stopping often to clean your intake off.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I agree, I don't think the gains are worth it. There is not that much power to be had from it. The air being taken in is still going through the turbo, being compressed thus heated. Getting air flow to the intercooler is far more important.

H
Aug 18, 2010
In the powder I think you will hate it and not just in downhill right turns. Talking to someone who has been in the business for awhile told me that he thinks it funny the cycles that snowmobiles go through. This is what he told me. "Years ago when people first started running turbos someone came up with the idea that to run a snorkel for cold fresh air and more power. This became the latest and greatest thing that the kit makers started doing. Then everyone got sick of clogging and bogging due to iced over intakes. Next the latest was under hood intake for no bog in powder. Looks like we are back to the snorkels, clogging and bogging."

IMO I think if you are wanted every once of power and more of a hill climber it may be worth it. But if you boondock and play around I think you are going to be stopping often to clean your intake off.

The reason this has gone full circle is builders have figured out if your in enough powder to plug your snorkel you will plug the air intakes regardless of where they are and if your pulling air from under the hood you might get an extra 100 feet, but once the air is used up inside your motor compartment your bogging and running rich until you get something up out of the powder and the snorkel will find free air before the under hood intake will. A skilled rider learns how to keep the snorkel cleaned off with back pressure and can actually have the best of both worlds. None of these systems are flawless, but at the end of the day in deep powder the snorkel is your best option and will allow you to have the best running sled day in and day out IMO.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I have always run my air intake outside my hood.
2 apex's with MPI superchargers
2 nytros BD and an Impulse ....Of course Paul's was already outside.
3 polaris pros 2 BD and a Silber.
And on at least another 5 of friends and customers sleds.
I have never had an ice up issue on the pros. I have on the yamahas.
It never was an issue that you couldn't just clean off the filter.
You do learn to just crack the throttle off and on and the pressure from the turbo blows off anything accumulating on the filter.
I also do believe that the sleds run better with the fresh air.
Like what was said before, when you have your intake under the hood, you run out of fresh air.
Maybe out west where the snow is heavy it sticks to your intake and ices up easier. Here in Wyoming I just don't think it's an issue..

D

Dustin_R

Jan 11, 2010
Washington
I have always run my air intake outside my hood.
2 apex's with MPI superchargers
2 nytros BD and an Impulse ....Of course Paul's was already outside.
3 polaris pros 2 BD and a Silber.
And on at least another 5 of friends and customers sleds.
I have never had an ice up issue on the pros. I have on the yamahas.
It never was an issue that you couldn't just clean off the filter.
You do learn to just crack the throttle off and on and the pressure from the turbo blows off anything accumulating on the filter.
I also do believe that the sleds run better with the fresh air.
Like what was said before, when you have your intake under the hood, you run out of fresh air.
Maybe out west where the snow is heavy it sticks to your intake and ices up easier. Here in Wyoming I just don't think it's an issue..

DC. On your pro turbo's did you use their CAI? Or did you fab something up yourself?

Thanks

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
DC. On your pro turbo's did you use their CAI? Or did you fab something up yourself?

Thanks

I call it my fab... We have done it this way on all 5 turbo pros, Silber and BD. 2011-2012.
BD copied me!!

Also I have never had any issue with branches beating up the filter.. And I hit plenty of trees!

Sorry wrong size on the pic. uploaded

intake 2012.jpg

Last edited:
A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
I call it my fab... We have done it this way on all 5 turbo pros, Silber and BD. 2011-2012.
BD copied me!!

Also I have never had any issue with branches beating up the filter.. And I hit plenty of trees!

Sorry wrong size on the pic. uploaded

View attachment 160801

Do you sell these??? Nice to know they are tree worthy. How about upside down worthy? Some people on this forum might be curious to know how it holds up in the event that they roll their sleds.... ALOT...
.....Some people, not me.
.... ok, it's me. My perceived skill level and actual skill level don't quite align.
I like the look of this snorkel! If you sell em, I'm interested. I didn't know that BDs looks similar.

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
My bd turbo pro last year
5647967522_f5d34c9297_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

My new bd turbo pro for this year

6397157459_83e12ef1e4_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
6397158071_c6bfb47e3e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

6397158851_7d999140e6_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Do you sell these??? Nice to know they are tree worthy. How about upside down worthy? Some people on this forum might be curious to know how it holds up in the event that they roll their sleds.... ALOT...
.....Some people, not me.
.... ok, it's me. My perceived skill level and actual skill level don't quite align.
I like the look of this snorkel! If you sell em, I'm interested. I didn't know that BDs looks similar.

No problem on rollovers. I watched my buddies sled roll down off a chute last year probably 20 times the windshield came off and the filter was fine.
Roll overs are the only way to get your sled unstuck..
On the BD they have you cut their rubber elbow just under the filter, you then place the elbow on the turbo and they supply you with a light weight aluminum tube that you drill a hole through the hood and then attach the prefilter. It sticks straight up and may be a little more of a branch catcher..
As for selling them..... It's easy to do yourself..
You need a silicon 90 degree elbow and some silicon tubing. I used some lightweight 3" tubing and just cut a 1 1/2" collar and hose clamps.
Easy squeezie ..

D

Dustin_R

Jan 11, 2010
Washington
Well I went ahead and installed the CAI provided by Boondocker with my kit. Everything is pretty straight forward, but I almost messed up bad. I took the elbow off of the turbo, cut the 2" off (I would just cut 1 1/2" off if I could do over, would rather have more aluminum tube in the elbow on the turbo end). Re-installed the elbow on the turbo and started to cut the 3" hole out in the hood. IDIOT.... Cover the open elbow on the turbo :face-icon-small-ton. I was caught up in cutting holes on my new sled I didnt even think of it. I like DK's idea. Looks good.

SN: Anyone else have any issues with the bottom of the steering post rubbing very slightly on the intercooler?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Well I went ahead and installed the CAI provided by Boondocker with my kit. Everything is pretty straight forward, but I almost messed up bad. I took the elbow off of the turbo, cut the 2" off (I would just cut 1 1/2" off if I could do over, would rather have more aluminum tube in the elbow on the turbo end). Re-installed the elbow on the turbo and started to cut the 3" hole out in the hood. IDIOT.... Cover the open elbow on the turbo :face-icon-small-ton. I was caught up in cutting holes on my new sled I didnt even think of it. I like DK's idea. Looks good.

SN: Anyone else have any issues with the bottom of the steering post rubbing very slightly on the intercooler?

at full lock to the right hand side my steering arm does touch a bit, just needs some more messing with, but i dont think its touching enough to hurt anything. at first my intercooler was touching the bottom of the steering post, i was able to push the intercooler into the adapter boots to the throttle bodies a bit more and that took care of that.

Last edited:
S
Oct 29, 2008
I run an outside the hood intake on my td8 and its the real deal. I used 4 inch aluminium tubing reducing to 3 at the turbo. The 3" was only available in plastic and the polished aluminium looks sick so I went with the 4". I also feel like the aluminum conducts cold. The entire tube feels ice cold. As for rollovers, mine has never busted off or even come loose and I consider my riding to be aggressive. I hit trees on a pretty regular basis and it has held up to those as well. Never a problem at all. Power wise it made a huge difference. Probably 50 degree drop in charge tube temps. As for plugging, I have only had an issue once and it was on the "deepest day ever" (in Chris burandts words) this season at wolf early season. That day was unreal deep. The snow was so deep the bars and all were under the snow at all times. I don't think anything short of a 8 foot snorkle would have worked well that day. If you don't believe me check out the 509 video on YouTube about that day. Someone mentioned you get used to riding with the intake....very true. You can see the snow clear from the back pressure. Even on normal deep days the rear of the filter stays clear when the front freezes or plugs. A prefilter would remedy this but I haven't bothered to put one on. I think its totally worth the mod! Hope this helps.... And you will be addicted to the sound.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
To anyone that has added the cold air intake...

How much did it change the bottom end?
Did you have to change fuel numbers?
Did you have to change clutching?

Thanks

Premium Features