• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011-2012 Sicamous Snow Conditions

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Maybe I missed the sticky for our area some where or else no one has been sledding around these parts! Blue Lk yesterday, unloading anywhere between the bottom and 6km, trail not being groomed yet. We did "the loop", cabin and across the lake, past 200 HP to 911 and then back to Brown Pants, to the cabin and the checked out the meadows. Enough snow to have fun and get stuck but not enough to do any serious side hilling or the usual climbing spots. We probed the snow up in the meadows area and had an honest 4' of packed stuff, not bad for this time of year. Its raining here as I type so that'll mean more fluff up top, time to ride! Sherm

Last edited:
Z

ziperhead

Dec 17, 2010
heading to sicamous on thursday for a weak! a friend of mine moved there last year. did 2 trips out there last winter and loved it. road blue and quest but didnt venture to far from the beaten paths any chance someone has a good map of the blue area with the areas mentioned above? thanks in advance!! let it snowwwwwww!

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
If you hit Mac's Machines and see Trev or Leanne they'll probably have a Passport book around from last season that has the maps. They are also putting out a new map/folder this year that will be much more detailed, not sure when they'll have it out but for sure when the grooming starts in a couple of weeks. We're headed up Saturday if your around, Petro Can at 0900..Sherm

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Grooming?

Me and some buddies are heading up and will be riding the 17th, 18th and 19th. I was wondering when they start grooming the trails in or if they already have.

S

sicamous

Feb 9, 2009
Sicamous, BC
www.sicamousinn.ca
Grooming Soon

I hear that if conditions allow, grooming will start this week at Blue Lake and Owlhead and at Queest next week. Eagle Pass is yet to be determined.

My son and I were up Queest on Sunday and enjoyed a bit of powder on about a 4' base. We parked at 4k but could have dumped off at 2k. We rode till sunset under mostly blue skies:face-icon-small-coo

IMG-20111204-00025.jpg

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Rode up Eagles Saturday....about a foot of new snow on the road and we couldnt see any evidence of tracks going past the gas drop. Not enough snow to cross over the creek by the large boulders and get up around the ice waterfall so we went left boondockin up through the trees to get to the first lake. LOTS of landmines up there seems to be 4-5ft of base but tons of stumps and rocks with no surface expression in the snow that were being uncovered at the expense of several a-arms. We got all the way up top but vis was so bad didnt drop into the first big open area. Basically they need several more feet of base or be very careful. Qweest on Sunday under bluebird skys was awesome though got to really love the new proclimb. looks like no new snow this week so i will be holding off until they get another good dump....

S

sicamous

Feb 9, 2009
Sicamous, BC
www.sicamousinn.ca
Sicamous (Eagle Valley) Grooming Update

GROOMING INFORMATION: I spoke with the Grooming Manager and he is planning to groom the Blue Lake trail today (Thursday), Queest this evening (Thursday), Owlhead on Friday morning and Eagle Pass Saturday morning. For more detailed and up to date info, check out the new and improved site for the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club and Eagle Valley Snowmobile Grooming Society at http://www.sledsicamous.com . Early conditions still apply so be carefull of obstacles on trails and in the alpine!

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Blue Lake yesterday, its all pretty much pounded out. We did the loop and hit Brown Pants and then Foggy Bowl, still some "stuff" left over for us to mess up. There was about 6" of fresh on the back side of Blue so not a bad day overall, doesn't look like any more fresh snow of any amount for a week or so....Sherm

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
Owl's head was fun today

FYI - Snow is not great, but still fun day. About a foot of powder with lots of rocks and stuff still exposed to keep you on toes,,, not at all great, but better than Xmas shopping :) From Owl's head on Friday. Road right from lot, trail was a little rocky for about a mile, but nothing to worry about. Trail was mostly smooth with 6" of soft, didn't use scratchers at all. made it down to Morten Lake and then back over saddle to the other side for a bit. About a 55Mile day. Snowed the first half of day, then very light snow with good visibility the last half of day. Maybe 40 people on the hill, hardly ever saw anyone,
attachment.php

Dennis_Stuck.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
That picture is from today??? Maybe we need to head up that way soon. We haven't had any fresh snow for about a month, and nothing in the fourcast for at least a week.

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
Blue Lake - also has not bad snow for Dec

Rode Blue Lake today. Snow was actually better than expected (again). About a foot, to foot and half of powder (just below me knee cap). Clouds moved in in afternoon and it became very foggy to get back over the hill to the cabin, needed the GPS (I use BackCountry Navigator on my SG1, worked pretty good, darn glad a couple of us had it). Fun day, road right from the lot. Trail was a little ruff, but good snow cover, and no scratchers again. We were later at 11AM, but only two sleds went up before us. So, not great base, but still decent snow to play in, our group of 5 enjoyed it. Yes the picture was yesterday at Owl's, I'll grab one off the phone from today. So, the snow is not as terrible as feared when we drove out, but another 10 to 15' of base would cover a lot of stumps,,,
This is a crappy pic of us playing around Blue today,

attachment.php

Blue_Saturday.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet thanks for the pics Im hoping to get up Tuesday, we go up the king fisher-laforge way is this kind of the same area!? I usually stick over to the hunters-ashton area but loved this area cant wait to get up again with a little deeper snow. I use my GPS all the time Garmin 60 with topo canada works great.

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
Queest -has pretty good snow and is very likely being groomed tonight

Rode there for the first time, so didn't likely see much of it, lot of trail riding through trees. Rode from lot. Likely thirty sleds on hill which was more than we expected. Trail was pretty rough, but groomer pulled in as we left so it should be great tomorrow. I think the snow is deeper at Queest than Owl's or Blue. We poked around, and went up to the towers and found good snow with very little tracks (but now it's a mess). Then we took the trail below the cabin around to almost the lake, or where "North Queest trail" is shown on the map. This area had some nice open play areas, faces to climb, and good snow with very little tracks. We then came back and took a slightly different trail and ended up at the towers above the cabin. The visability was foggy (foggy, but no snow) 90% of the day, with only a bit of good lighting at the end of the day.
I would like to try this again sometime, and try to find more play areas that aren't so far from the cabin,,, need to explore some more, LOL.

PS, sorry but I can't comment on whether the areas you ride are the same as the ones we ride.
From today when we were out a long ways from the cabin, not sure what these areas are called, it's where "North Queest trail" is printed on the map (or co-ordinates 51.00481, -118.83773).

attachment.php

Queest.jpg

Last edited:

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Blue Lake

Four of us did the Blue Lk "circle" (the 18th), starting out from the cabin and going across the lake, above 911 and over to Brown Pants. A good 8" of fresh snow and no other tracks for the outing so we had a blast! Its always nice to be the first ones to mess the hills up! We did hit fog once we got towards the cabin again, to the point of almost getting out with a stick to poke our way through. FYI if you do hit fog in one area of Blue, just move over the next ridge and your almost guaranteed to find a spot that's clear, that's the nice thing about Blue. As Lady Luck would have it we met up with Gerald and his crew from Saskatchewan and they had an injured rider. Dan and I scratched our way through the fog and beat the trail for them back to the cabin across the ridge, good to see you Gerald! Still a few `things`poking out here and there so sidehilling still not the best but otherwise its shaping up to be great over Xmas! Sherm

Last edited:
Premium Features