• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Once spider is shimed for MTX clutch weights, can one try other brands of weights?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I sent my primary clutch to SLP to have them shim my clutch spider and install their MTX clutch weights. The clutching seems to work ok but, I would really like to try my Cutler adjustable weights to see how they compare.

Can Cutler or Cat weights be used when a primary clutch spider is shimed specifically for SLP MTX clutch weights?

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
Your deflection will be off, I just machined the inner heel of my mtx weights where they rest on the clutch to get the proper belt deflection instead of re-shimming because like you I was trying different weights, I can't remember how much I had to take off but its not much.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks.

However, mine is already shimmed. I suspect it might have to be "deshimmed" to make it work properly for other clutch weights?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Lee, what are you unhappy with? I just did the same thing and got balanced, mtx weights and the spring they recommend. Anxious to try it. Have you tried adjusting the mtx's?

Aaron

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Aaron, I think the MTX weights work just fine but, I really don't have anything to compare there performance to at this point.

I just would like to see how they compare to the Cutler adjustable weights.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I deshimmed mine to run other weights and a roller went out and ruined a weight so I and modified the mtx weights to work. Last time out worked well. Better than stock in my opinion but still curious on some others. Although I am thinking of a rkt secondary setup first. or turbo.

W
Dec 3, 2007
NS Canada
Not sure, but could you take the extra shim out and use thunder products new ABC kit to tuck/untuck your different weights and set belt to shiv clearance??

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
bolted the weights together so they are all in line with each other(had to remove extra weights and us bolts that fit the holes perfectly) then grind the tip off at a 45* until it will let the weight go down all the way and not hold the spider up. Because of my elevation I only ran 1g in outer hole but after the mod I ran 3g in outer hole and worked great, If you already have a 2 or 3g in the outer hole you may not be able to add enough weight back to it. Also after you grind the tip of weigh each weight individually and grind them until all are the same weight. I used a paint scale.

Premium Features