• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 m7 fuel consumption???

Nov 26, 2007
my 06 m7 seems to get poor milage about 50-58 miles per tank this cant be right, the sled is stock 162 with rkt head what can i do to make it better?

D

DusterB

Nov 26, 2007
B-Town MT
Not sure of your riding style but all the M7's in our group average about the same. We ride Cooke City and are always on the throttle.

Nov 26, 2007
I ride pretty hard but it seems that all the other guuys in my group on m7's get alot better milage like when im on 1/2 they still have more than 3/4 tank left

O
Dec 6, 2007
They are notorious for high fuel pressure settings from the factory. You may want to start with a gauge and regulator. The '05 M7 I ride is a gas hog, it burns more fuel than the 800's I ride with. It runs awesome though, and no gauge/regulator on it.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Are you going by the gauge or by when you all fuel up? Gauge sucks.

^^^This. I've done 23 miles on E and still had a gallon or two left to go. Granted I was headed off the mountain and taking it easy. LOL.

Nov 26, 2007
i usually go by the gauge till get worried then look inside, but it sounds to be normal if thats about what everyone else is getting

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
Thats about par for the course.
If I can get around 60 miles per tank I'm happy. It is true that the fuel psi is cranked up a little on these things, but I'd rather run fat than lean...know what I mean.:face-icon-small-hap

Also, I don't mean to imply anything, but are you new to sledding??
The reason I ask, is that we've been riding with a new guy this season who also rides an '06 m7, and he eats gas WAAAAAAAY faster than any of us....The reason being is that EVERYWHERE we go he feels like he has to pin it to climb even the smallest of hills. He's still not comfertable with finding that sweet spot and just holding it there, it's either nothing or to the handlebars with that kid. He's learning though, the more he rides, the less fuel he uses.

Just a thought. :thumb:

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
My 05 M7 was a HOG too. It ran with the 800's, and burned more fuel then them. I wasnt really bothered by it as it worked really well. But it was definitely noticable how much more fuel i could use then others.

Nov 26, 2007
nope not new to the sport been at it for about 17 years. i went out again today went 46.6 miles just above empty so i looked inside and probaly could have gone another 20-30 mile so maybe its ok and just a messed up gauge???

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
What I have noticed is the fuel level guage pins down the fuel pickup line in the front of the tank. Some times stop and look down in the hole and it might be pinned down.

I know I burn fuel faster but those 7's are designed for top end running. you cannot compare it to the 8's totally dif. power range.

But 40-miles is not good check the psi and it should be @ 40 no less than 38. :fencing:

Nov 26, 2007
i was wondering about the fuel press but i cant afford a 200 dollor regulator. is there any cheaper that are still of good quality?

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Don't you have a dealer near? It only takes a few minutes to check it? If you buy a adjustable regulator from them they would set up the psi for you? only a 40-60 dollar part. :fencing:

Premium Features