• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Final ride on 09 dragon

T
:brokenheart:Well this is My observations of my ole Dragon That I spent 11 Grand on and HOPED would of had a happy ending two or three years from now.:mad:
#1- center driver???? who's Idea was that and can ANYONE tell what is good about it???
#2- Track rubs on heat exchangers making install of a 2.5 track not possible unless going to smaller drivers or rolling chaincase.
#3- Removing bogie wheels And front heat exchanger to PUBLISH weight savings:rolleyes:a.- had to reinstall bogies b.- cooling system was MARGINAL at best
#4- Releasing a motor that was not tried and proven and going to a single ring piston...,second ecu flash,single ring pistons belong on race sleds not consumer sleds....
#5- air box snow injestion problems....headlight ajustment knob void drop's right into air box, POOR seal around headlight.
#6- moving controls down on tank cover...Cant see to operate and will fill with water...corrosion and have to stop to ajust:confused:
I could go on but why??? I did fix all of these issues that I could but hell I spent 11 grand on this sled' Not 4-5000. If anyone can tell me WHY Polaris did any of these things I would love to here why. I loved the Dragon 100%of the time it was on its own power. In my life I have been on the WRONG end of a tow rope 3 times with a Doo, Make that four...One time the other end was hooked to a helicoptor:eek:, and now twice on a Poo. Well I hope you all have a better ride that I did. The ecu going up in smoke..AND I MEAN SMOKE was the final straw for me and my DRAGON. I must agree with roberto (heeb) on one thing.Thats a scary statement!!!! IF there's a better sled just like some say there is a better board. ifI can afford it I will buy it. with that being said see ya.....Garry

PS used slp pipe and can for sale for 09 dragon 800 500.00 pm me

T
Dec 6, 2007
Don't take this the wrong way but if you have been towed out 5 times in I'm not sure how many years you have some very bad luck or you are just hard on equipment or maybe both. I have been riding in the mountains 21 years this year and have been towed out once on my 04 King Cat and that was dealer errror on oil pump set up. I have had to fix a few things on the hill but overall so far I have been lucky. The ECU burning up is not good but I am sure they will fix it on warr. At any rate I hope you have better luck with your next brand whatever it may be. :beer;

T
I have been at this for about 30 years and yes I buy them to ride them....about 3000 miles a year on average although I am slowing down:beer;
Funny thing is (back in the day):D my dealers always said I was too hard on the sled (commom excuse) only to find out what I was BREAKING in the first year was becoming common flaws after most most sleds hit the milage I was putting on them in one year. Go Figure....anyway ride what you like BUT more importantly LIKE WHAT YOU RIDE...Hoping NO ONE comes out on the rope.....Garry

PS Look below Im back on a cat

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
glad to hear you like your new ac garry, i'm the parts manager at the store where you bought it. too bad about the whole polaris deal but at least your happy.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry about your bad luck with the 09 Dragon, but all sleds have issues. My sons 07 M8 had 250 miles on it when the ecu went bad, I had to tow it out with the wifes 600 RMK. Now he feels that he can't trust it anymore, riding any sled in the back country is a crap shoot.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
I agree with alot of what is being said here but I put just over 700 miles of back country riding on my 09 D8 163 and haven't had a lick of problems.

L
Nov 22, 2008
spokane, wa
Love mine

I love my dragon not one problem yet, and i ride the you know what out of it. Right now it has sap and bark all over it. I hear everyone talking about snow getting in the air box, I haven't ever had that problem. I wonder if it makes a difference where you get it from. My 08 and 09 worked great until i total them out.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Tree Magnet...why the 74? Seems silly unless you were running a turbo setup, right? Not sure exactly which one you had but that is a 70+ pound track, stock 63 is around 50. 20 lbs of rotating mass is alot!!

T
I remember when 136 was tooo long,then the 156 was insain.Problem is I have never had a sled where I wished I had a shorter track, but wishing I had a longer track is a differant story. Alot of guys have said that track is Too long however it is the same footprint as a 163 16 wide Doo is pulling and it is up to the owner to decide what is too long. I play in the tree's where I love to put the hurt on younger jocks that are no more than throttle jockeys. Gear the thing down to 2.4-2.5 to 1 and your belt heat goes away, you have a stump puller and your fun factor goes up also. So no turbo here, just a ole tree hugger that kept the 174 to maybe put on the ole 8 next year.

T
Bugito please go back and read my first post. The point I was trying to make was a MOUNTAIN sled should have enough clearance (for snow clean out )for a stock track to not rub on the heat exchange. A buddy was 74ing his 09 dragon that he had put 400 miles on with the stock track and had worn into his heat exchangers from the track rubbing. In my opinion (and have been at this for a number of years) antirachet drivers work!!!!!! two drivers, one on each side, running the track looser than Polaris specks. Cat does it,Ski-doo does it, Polaris half (***) does it and then they have you run the track tight tight tight. Avid drivers increase performance on these sled period. now I think MAYBE because of the steep approch angle Polaris has they are concerned about track stabbing if running drivers that would have a void between the drivers and rails but that is just my opinion. I spent good money putting my faith in Polaris and new of some issues that would have to be addressed and did so. Was it a mistake??? for me it was but I hope they get it fixed. Alot of guys are having problems that are becoming common place and if you are one of them IT SUCKS.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
ya b/4 loving the cat put the 174 under her and let's see what you say. you are not the engineer so if you go do things like you did don't ***** maybe your dealers are right about you. The people who make the sled have to anticipate that pipes and stuff will be added but to go to a 174 set up might not work as far as the ecu burning the only thing poo did wrong is to pick a poor vendor for that part lol on your cat and please don't buy another poo again

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
If not in love with her , leave her
ya b/4 loving the cat put the 174 under her and let's see what you say. you are not the engineer so if you go do things like you did don't ***** maybe your dealers are right about you. The people who make the sled have to anticipate that pipes and stuff will be added but to go to a 174 set up might not work as far as the ecu burning the only thing poo did wrong is to pick a poor vendor for that part lol on your cat and please don't buy another poo again

Premium Features