• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23 to 24 million more acres of wilderness proposed in five western states

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
If this thing gets traction. Nearly every good riding spot in South Central Idaho is gone. Take a close look at the map. The Boulder Whiteclouds, the Smokies, the Pioneers, Dead Wood, Bear Vally, Trinities, Everything around McCall. I don't see a single high elevation riding place left. It's almost like someone targeted us.

They want over half the national forest in Idaho closed. 9.5 million acres in Idaho alone.

Last edited:
M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Yepper! Everyone seems blinded by the "short term" economy issues and the mountains that we use for sledding,atv'ing,4x4'ing,biking,ect. are going to go into these wilderness status's along with the wilderness corridors. The introduction of grizzles in areas are a precursor to habitat closures also to follow.
Over the past ten years the gates have gotten closed lower and lower, with new ones popping up all over. I have to walk 5+ miles just to get to the gates I use to be able to park at during hunting season. Once they get it into the wilderness status it is GONE!

S
Nov 30, 2007
Colorado
Soon all of us will be corralled into one little oval track where we can ride our sleds in circles til we fall off from overwhelming fun and the greenies have all the land sewed up and taken away from the public.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
do we get to ignore wilderness areas yet??

If this passes, it will be your obligation to ride in wilderness as a show of peaceful resistance to injustices. At least that's what MKL, Gandhi, and probably Jesus would have done. So, yes. We want to sit at the front of the bus, and the have a seat at the lunch counter.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
With how easy the 2.5 TRILLION dollar (with interest) passed the removal of mechanized vehicles from the forest is a easy win for them

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I'm starting to believe that the people who have been elected to represent us are living in their own world, moreso than in previous years. I think that the only time that the majority of us matter is tax time. "Pay up sucker".

Other than that we can go screw ourselves as far as they are concerned. Oh I could go off...

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
If this passes, it will be your obligation to ride in wilderness as a show of peaceful resistance to injustices. At least that's what MKL, Gandhi, and probably Jesus would have done. So, yes. We want to sit at the front of the bus, and the have a seat at the lunch counter.

You are 100% correct, I am reaching the point of just ignoring the signs. I have had quite enough of this garbage. I will ride where I want to when I want to,I will respect the enviroment,not litter and not damage anything. BUT I will NOT obey your stupid restrictions on land that we have hunted/sleded for years.
Time to start packing a nice set of bolt cutters, they make a aluminum set for those concerned about weight.....lol...

B
Dec 21, 2006
I like the fact that a lot of us on here are signing the petitions against these types of bills/etc. Everybody gets a + rep from me. Please forward this to as many people as you know begging them to contact there rep.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Bush protected public land, he wouldn't allow any additional limitations to public land. The last forest plan in the Snowy Range in Wyo called for no off trail snowmobiling. Bush vetoed it. We won't have that kind of luck under Obama. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the days of riding like I have for the last 20 years, I fear are coming to an end. Restricting motorized vehicles to roads only year around in the National Forest is the biggest threat we have.

I agree that this administration is not going to be a friend of motorized recreationists from everything I have seen, heard or read. This new Congress leans very left, which means opposed to multiple-use, and supportive of new wilderness designations. :mad:

My sad prediction is that by the end of the next 2-4 years, Clinton's version of the Roadless Rule will become law and YNP will be closed to snowmobiles. Not that riding down a groomed trail at a slow speed in YNP is all that thrilling, it is still important to keep open, as to not set a precedent. :(

I am not sure if NREPA will make it into law or not in this Congress, but I think it has the best chance it has ever had with this 111th Congress. And even if NREPA does not get the entire 23 to 24 million acres of new wilderness implemented as a whole, I do believe that we will see millions more acres of wilderness implemented in the western United States through other bills such as the Omnibus Bill (S22) and others. :(

As others here have posted, if NREPA does become law, there will not be much decent high elevation off trail riding areas left in ID and many other areas in several states. I would have to question whether it would even be worth the fight (time and effort) any longer if this bill passes. :(

So to everyone that says they will just ride the new wilderness areas anyway if this bill passes, I can certainly understand your point of view and your frustration, but I certainly hope that for now you will all help fight these new wilderness proposals and join groups like SAWS (free), BlueRibbon Coalition, and your state snowmobile association. I know that several of you do :) .

If NREPA passes, I will probably just sell my sleds and buy myself a loud a$$ Harley and cruise the payment. :p

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'm still sledding in all the places I sled now if NERPA passes.

In fact, just for the hell of it, I'll probably sled even MORE places.

In fact, I'll even help organize mass "protest rides" if need be.

:)

I'm still sledding in all the places I sled now if NERPA passes.

In fact, just for the hell of it, I'll probably sled even MORE places.

In fact, I'll even help organize mass "protest rides" if need be.

:)

I like that, unfortunately it would just give them reasons to shut more land down, you know cause were crazy rednecks.

I wrote my Congressman, Don Young of Alaska. My main point was economically how this bill would hurt hard working families. Think of all the mom and pop restaurants, locally owned gas stations, and other business you frequent in those areas. If I was in this new protected area, I would haul to Canada, and my money would go with it. Also we go out as family and friends. It would hurt us socially. Could you guys organize a ride with some of your local dealers to get the word out about this bill? I know my Congressman will vote Nay on this. Make sure yours does to.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Hey Dave,

I'm curious if any of the manufacturers are involved in lobbying against these bills?

They have the most to lose financially, so it would seem natural that they would be at the forefront of supporting the fight against these closures.

Or is the mountain segment too small for them to concern themselves with the hassle of the fight? I was talking to a Yamaha rep on Friday, and he said industry-wide (all mfg's) that mountain sales make up less than 25% of their sales.

And thanks again for all of your efforts. We all do what we can in our own way with contributions, fund raisers, etc...but it's you guys at SAWS, BRC, etc... that are on the front lines. It is apprectiated!! :beer;

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Won't this bill do the opposite of trying to "rebuild" our economy? 2300 jobs created but how many small business owners of shops/gas stations/restaurants/hotels, etc will lose the businesses they worked so hard to create and keep running all these years because thousands of sledders can't use the magical "wilderness" land? So fvck small business and yeah to more gov't spending which we don't need? I don't get how far someone can shove their head up their own azz. Yeah like the hippies don't already have 95% of the land to cross-country ski already. Sledding is a very very small % of the overall traffic in the mtns. I mean talk about hipocrites... spending $$$ to get rid of logging roads? just let them sit as is. Not like it's hurting the environment at all. Taking those roads down with machines will produce more pollution than all the sleds going into those areas for years combined. Take that wasteful $$$ and put it back into our country's infrastructure like the bridges we somehow still have no $$$ to fix before they collapse.

Last edited:
M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
I have read the SAWS alert and I have read this entire legislation. It does NOT state anywhere any restrictions for snowmobiles. It is very clear about logging, oil production and mineral extraction and the restoration work.

I have email'd AWR and Representaive Maloney's office directly asking this specific question about whether or not this legislation will curtail or stop snowmobiling access to these areas.

I am seriously asking for it to be explained, how does this designation as "wildnerness", place these lands of limits for sledding usage?

Please seriously explain exactly how this process has worked in the past. I want to know the process and details. I can't fight a battle I don't fully understand.

I have lived in the strip-mined coal regions of Pennsylvania, so I completely understand the need for control over the literal raping of the environment in the name of energy and minerals, so I cannot lock-step reject legislation that may be beneficial to this cause.

I will however fight for snowmobiling access too because it does NOT harm the wilderness.

I believe there is a balance that must be struck and I will fight for that.

Premium Features