• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster Finger Throttles

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
curious to see if anyone has any experience with them? I like the idea just want to hear more before I go and buy one.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
curious to see if anyone has any experience with them? I like the idea just want to hear more before I go and buy one.
Loved mine while it lasted. Throttle cable broke after 100 miles, 20 miles in. Used a visegrip as a throttle lever to get back to the trailer, not cool, would have been bad if we were back in nasty terrain. There were like 3 axys throttle cables in stock in the states, needless to say I couldnt get one and had to rent a sled for the rest of the trip.

This was early last season. It sounds like it is a common problem, lots of frayed cables, and some broke. I have no idea if they have come up with a fix. It was a beautiful piece and ergonomically it was awesome.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
They're very easy to get used to! I can still ride a thumb throttle but it feels strange. I think traditional throttles make sense for a sit-down riding style, but for stand-up riding, the finger throttle feels natural.

The heating element isn't the greatest, and hitting tree branches is an issue - manageable though. If I bought a new one I'd consider the guard, too. The version I have won't work with the guard, and I've considered adding bark busters from the dirt bike.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
I've also tried it and broke the throttle cable right of where the round insert for the lever is. Problem is that it doesnt run freely during its motion and that creates tension right where the wire goes into the round tin stop.

Ergonomic its a big step up from the oem throttle. But i cant stand breaking throttle cables so it is collecting dust now.

And yeah the heater is not enough to warm up one finger. That is also one of the flaws.

Nov 23, 2015
I had it on my 14PRO and I just bought a new AXYS.
Munster finger throttle was my second most favourite mod after a 3" track on the pro.
I can't wait to install it on my Axys now.
Once you get used to it (took me 2 trips) you dont want to look back!
If you ride in the trees, make sure you get the guard. Saved my *** few times.
Sam

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm a big fan of finger throttles in general and used lots of cheaper options before spending that chunk of change on a munster. They're really well made though, and very ergonomic. I've got one on a proclimb and can't really see where the cable would get any stressors to cause it to fray.

Where are you guys splitting yours on the axis/pro setups? Down by the throttle bodies or up at the block?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of finger throttles in general and used lots of cheaper options before spending that chunk of change on a munster. They're really well made though, and very ergonomic. I've got one on a proclimb and can't really see where the cable would get any stressors to cause it to fray.

Where are you guys splitting yours on the axis/pro setups? Down by the throttle bodies or up at the block?

Cable snapped right at the T that attaches to the flipper.

muskiedoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2008
www.icemansmuskieguideservice.com
Cable snapped right at the T that attaches to the flipper.

Mine did the same on my 15 Pro with about 700 miles of use...Noticed fraying at the "T" during a ride. I babied it back to the truck about 9 miles out then it finally broke right when I was climbing up the ramp into the trailer. Got lucky! I carry a spare throttle cable in trailer now.

Oh! And the heater element stopped working after 350 miles of use.

Last edited:

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I put one on my '16 before it ever saw snow. Like others have mentioned, it feels a lot more natural and is always comfortable when I get to the high side / low side moments. In the mountains, I have no problem with it. I do feel a little fatigued on the groomed trails up though. I'd have a hard time going back to a thumb throttle. I have not broken a cable yet, but I have broken the plastic sheathing at the T as others have mentioned. I love it and it's worth it, just add the throttle cable to the more frequent inspection list, as well as have a spare. Pretty sure my heater element is not working as well.

The pic is more to show the Polaris windshield bag, but it shows the lever and the broken plastic sheathing that I'm running.

IMG_1821.jpg

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If you guys are just braking the little t-nub off and the cable hasn't frayed too badly, you might be able to put one of these on the end. Can't speak from experience but it's about the same size.

https://www.amazon.com/LEV-Int-272-...0400&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=ks+lev+cable+clamp

It's a mountain bike part but might be easier than pulling the whole cable and housing.

FWIW, on mine I run it pointing pretty far down and just pulled in the extra slack into the engine compartment so you don't have any hard angles going into the throttle block assembly.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I put one on my '16 before it ever saw snow. Like others have mentioned, it feels a lot more natural and is always comfortable when I get to the high side / low side moments. In the mountains, I have no problem with it. I do feel a little fatigued on the groomed trails up though. I'd have a hard time going back to a thumb throttle. I have not broken a cable yet, but I have broken the plastic sheathing at the T as others have mentioned. I love it and it's worth it, just add the throttle cable to the more frequent inspection list, as well as have a spare. Pretty sure my heater element is not working as well.

The pic is more to show the Polaris windshield bag, but it shows the lever and the broken plastic sheathing that I'm running.

With that throttle assembly, I would think a steep sidehill to the right with the handlebar down into the snow would be more than a little unpredictable. YIKES!!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
With that throttle assembly, I would think a steep sidehill to the right with the handlebar down into the snow would be more than a little unpredictable. YIKES!!

LOL, they are not unpredictable and scary like every person whos never run one makes them out to be.

Typically your not bumping your brake when sidehilling left, right? Chances are you’re counter steering as well and its definitely out of the way.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Question for the actual munster owners...

When you install the "T" end into the throttle lever... does it rotate freely in the bore..

If it does not... then it WILL ruin the cable in short order as it flexes it back forth right where it leaves the swaged on "T" end.

That "T" must rotate freely.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I think some of the early ones had an issue but I have 500 hundred trouble free miles on mine and will never go back to a thumb throttle. For the people that think they are dangerous there are at least two situations where the thumb throttle is more dangerous. When you reverse a sled and a panic situation where you might be losing grip on the bars and you accidentally pin the thumb throttle to the bars. Tree branches can be a concern but overall with the improved grip you get on the bars using the finger throttle I believe the finger throttle is safer then the thumb throttle.

Premium Features