• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5lbs vs 7lbs question

Jul 22, 2009
First time turbo owner but been around them a bunch - everything from pump gas to full BD race gas kits. I went with the Silber setup this year. My question is, have you guys noticed much of a difference in wear & tear on the machine between 5 and 7lbs? Ex - both belts, reeds, top ends, etc? This isn't really a Silber specific question - all brands/responses welcome.

I'm up at 9k plus feet and was planning on just running 5lbs for simplicity sake with gas and wear & tear but I'm also wondering if the extra 2 pounds of boost will really effect much in the way of reliability. I get that it'll need a little bit of 100LL.

FWIW, that Silber kit is stupid easy to install. I'd read all the reviews saying that and was skeptical but I'm a believe now. Now I just have my fingers crossed it runs just as well!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Keep us posted on how the Silber kit works for ya, very interested in feedback on these kits!!

M

MOABNUT

Dec 4, 2012
Silber Turbo

Both my son and I have new Silber Turbos last year. Boy what a Difference. We love them! We both have 155s and i'm running the 5 pound spring and my son is using the 7 pound. Mine is quite a bit snappier down low and his has a bigger hit.
Spent quite a bit of time with clutching on mine, his is the stock Silber set up. Clutching helped a lot with the low end gurgle.
Rode my buddies stock stage 2 at the end of last year and wow, mine had more power everywhere, even down low.
Best thing we ever did!!
We use a gallon of 110 per 5 gallons of gas. Works great.

Jul 22, 2009
Both my son and I have new Silber Turbos last year. Boy what a Difference. We love them! We both have 155s and i'm running the 5 pound spring and my son is using the 7 pound. Mine is quite a bit snappier down low and his has a bigger hit.

Spent quite a bit of time with clutching on mine, his is the stock Silber set up. Clutching helped a lot with the low end gurgle.

Rode my buddies stock stage 2 at the end of last year and wow, mine had more power everywhere, even down low.

Best thing we ever did!!

We use a gallon of 110 per 5 gallons of gas. Works great.

Sounds like you are running a different clutch kit that what they provide on your 5lb kit? Care to share details? Also what elevation are you guys at? Any noticeable different in reliability, belts, etc between your kits and your son's? Thanks for the intel - very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
We Run elevations from 8,500 up to the nose bleed of over 11,500.
Run both the 5 and 7 boost levels-. 155's and 163's... There is noticeable difference in performance with 2 lbs of boost- however- with correct clutching and P/M we see no noticeable difference in wear and tear.

Getting a full season out of a belt with either boost level at our elevation ( with correct clutching)- is realistic. We do rotate belts throughout our ride so that we have belts that can take the hit when we need / or someone else needs, and never had one let go.... We run the Gates 45C4553

The is a lot of information on turbo clutching on this forum and in very much detail, and if followed to the "T" will provide you with a lot more fun factor- if you want more than what you have right now.

Just do do a search- There is some VERY reputable top notch information,from some very well thought of riders input...... in fact so much, there is a part 4 to the information provided that really should be read if your honest, and want your turbo to respond to it's full potential.

Have fun with the Silber- I have sold, and installed a lot of them... glad you liked the install.. now the fun begins!!

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Unless you are running outside of the parameters Silber has given I would run what they recommend in their user guide. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0775/7767/files/Silber_Axys_Turbo_Kit.pdf?2227937199758030551

That depends on elevation. That guide doesn't work for 0-3000'. The clutching that comes with it, you have to run way more weight than what the guide says. It isn't until you change how you are approaching clutching that you will get your weight down and more in line with where the guide says you should be.

I highly recommend looking into what was said above about the 4 part thread all having to do with turbo clutching.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
TRS Clutching is what to look for. Silbers set up is way off at low elevation. 82.5 grams here at 3-6000. 76.5 with the trs set up with a very noticeable difference in performance. Ive had 0 issues with parts or belts. You will want to go up in yur gear ratio so as not to leave any performance on the table. These are the changes I made to my 17 axys prior to the snow falling last yr. Sled has been boosted its whole life. Be sure to check belt to sheave clearance.025-030

Avid anti ratchet drivers
Anti stab kit
TKI belt drive conversion. gear ratio changes.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
good info on some clutching, I have a boosted pro and It needs re clutching for my ~5000-7000k feet riding. when I hit the throttle its slow to rev out til boost comes, but on the high end my clutching is max'd and wants to hit the rev limiter, usually it hits the rev limiter since the clutching is slow to catch up

if your running ~7k+ feet at 5# you should be able to get away with premium just fine, if you have access to 94 octane at the pump then you will be golden., Guys here ive heard of at the ~5500 feet running 5# on premium but the lower elevation that gets closer to borderline for sure.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
If your are riding in the 9k plus you will obviously like the 7 pound range. The more boost you run the more heat your will create but at that elevation you should see no issues. Guys are running over 10 at those levels. No since it is so easy to change springs you could start out at 5 and go from there to see what you like.

Clutching is a huge part of it as mentioned above but with that said I have seen alot of guys happy with the Silber clutching and higher elevations. Now that does not mean there is not something left on the table, I just can not speak for that elevation.

As said, Make sure your primary belt to sheave clearance is correct and also I have found a lot of these sled to be off on the aliment between the primary and secondary. All these little things add up on belt left.

For the rest of the engine, as long as you are not detonating life will be good. I have ran 7 pounds plenty here at 0-3000 and it is a handful!

A
Sep 5, 2015
massachusetts
As said, Make sure your primary belt to sheave clearance is correct and also I have found a lot of these sled to be off on the aliment between the primary and secondary. All these little things add up on belt left.

For the rest of the engine, as long as you are not detonating life will be good. I have ran 7 pounds plenty here at 0-3000 and it is a handful!

axys clutch alignment tool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Axy...ash=item2cb4c13659:g:lo0AAOSwal5YEmvM&vxp=mtr

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
TRS Clutching is what to look for. Silbers set up is way off at low elevation. 82.5 grams here at 3-6000. 76.5 with the trs set up with a very noticeable difference in performance. Ive had 0 issues with parts or belts. You will want to go up in yur gear ratio so as not to leave any performance on the table. These are the changes I made to my 17 axys prior to the snow falling last yr. Sled has been boosted its whole life. Be sure to check belt to sheave clearance
Avid anti ratchet drivers
Anti stab kit
TKI belt drive conversion. gear ratio changes.

What’s your clutch setup gears ratio and elevation ?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If your are riding in the 9k plus you will obviously like the 7 pound range. The more boost you run the more heat your will create but at that elevation you should see no issues. Guys are running over 10 at those levels. No since it is so easy to change springs you could start out at 5 and go from there to see what you like.

Clutching is a huge part of it as mentioned above but with that said I have seen alot of guys happy with the Silber clutching and higher elevations. Now that does not mean there is not something left on the table, I just can not speak for that elevation.

Just to be clear, you create more and more heat as you go up in elevation (at any boost level) as the compressor has to spin faster to compress the same level of boost (starting air is thinner)

I only post this as yes, charge temps can creep up on you quick. If you are a "hold it to the bars for a long time" kind of guy, I'd think hard about intercooling. If you are more of a chop the throttle - only need WOT for a few short moments, then yeah, 7-10 will work for you above 9K.

Premium Features