• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 GM HD trucks out in early 14?

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
A lot of really good info in this thread from people who know what they are talking about. Lot of bull**** too.

I can’t help but laugh at the haters point out things that are completely irrelevant to 95% of the people driving HD trucks. 95% being people that tow with their trucks, keep a tire size that is near stock (up to 33” or so), and, indeed, rarely or never leave the pavement with it. That’s what GM designs to, not the guys who need a 12” lift and 40” tires with twin turbos making 700HP that truck pulls and drag races every weekend. Those are the same guys that complain the Allison transmission is junk because it limps. Double the horsepower and you’re surprised the trans doesn’t last? Who would have thought?

DEF tank too close to the ground? Yeah, it looks stupid, but it’s above the frame. I watch the dmax forums pretty close and I’ve never heard of a single person “puncturing” one, but everybody is so sure they are going to. If you really think you’re going to, then spend $150 buy one of the many aftermarket skidplates available for it and stop worrying about it. And this being a reason not to buy a truck? REALLY?
http://4wheelonline.com/Skyjacker_DEF_Tank_Skid_Plate_Duramax_Diesel.170125.627881

Talking about how IFS doesn’t hold up as well in sled pulling applications isn’t really relevant when all you do is cruise down the highway and put it in 4x4 when it snows. IFS haters gonna hate no matter what. But most of that is just factless bashing anyway. For every person that says they can’t drive 20K miles without replacing balljoints or blowing a CV shaft, there are 1000 more with 100K+ on their stock parts. Another problem people fail to realize is when you take the high-quality OEM parts out and replace them with the cheapest **** that Autozone sells, it’s not going to last as long, so I can see how larger tires and cheap parts wouldn’t mix well, on ANY suspension not just IFS.

When I was shopping for a diesel, my friend cautioned me that the “IFS junk” is going to be a constant headache. We’re both now at about 100K miles. The front of my Duramax is all still original, as tight as the day it was new, and I have never had a single feathered edge on any of my tread blocks. I’ve done probably 20 launches in 4x4 @ 10 PSI on pavement with the tires warmed up at the track. He’s replacing his third set of wheel bearings and ball joints on his F250 this weekend and he’s now on his fifth set of tires due to them wearing out so fast because he can’t keep it in alignment. The ride isn’t even remotely comparable between the two. I realize that SFA technology has come a long way since the leaf sprung days. It had to compete with the awesome ride and dependability of GM’s IFS. :p And let’s not even get started on the Ford 6.0 engine problems he’s had to deal with. Yeah, I really regret not buying one of those Fords. LOL

Most people who think they “need” a diesel to “save” money need to sit down with a calculator and some realistic numbers. Anybody that thinks they will ever save a single dime buying a diesel over a gas truck is wrong. The only, only way that would ever be remotely possible is if all they do is hauling all the time. Diesels are EXPENSIVE. Everything about them is.

Yes, resale is way better, but I think the market price is still very much artificially high as everybody wants to get into a pre-emissions diesel. Paying $30K for a 8 year old truck with 100,000 miles on it is nuts, but people are still doing it every day because they are so scared of the emissions. My loaded 06 Duramax was $42K sticker. That same truck new today is easily $65K sticker. The used market prices went up because the new prices went way up and the pre-emissions trucks are more desirable. Once they get the emissions stuff working better and the new trucks become more appealing, the market will level back out. I’ll be keeping mine around for a few more years until I can find a 15+ a few years old used. The new ones are just too much money.

I’m not unhappy with the cab space in my Crew Cab Chevy, and nobody has ever complained that has ridden back there (several people 6’ tall), but if they made a Mega Cab, I would have held out for one for sure. There is definitely some market share to be gained there, but with the new cab just being just released, I think we got what we got now.

I will say that if I didn’t need a diesel, I wouldn’t have one. I have a high profile 10K enclosed trailer I pull all over this country, and a gas engine would really struggle. I average about 10 MPG with it, and my friend with the same truck with a 6.0 got about 6 the time he borrowed it. The cost of diesel fuel is stupidly more expensive than gasoline. Always have to use additives when filling up is an expensive and a pain in the butt. Having to always let the truck warm up so the engine doesn’t sound like its coming apart sucks. Fuel filters are expensive. God help me if my injectors or injection pump go bad ($$$$). I still don’t like the smell of diesel exhaust. Diesel fuel smell does not wash off your hands and it doesn’t evaporate off the pump handle, so every time you fill up you get it on you. Stations that carry diesel are far fewer than gasoline. The spool-up time is frustrating sometimes, but you get used to it. Even with all those gripes, I still love driving my truck every day. But, if they made a gas engine that made the same power, I would be the first one to buy it.

fuel prices.jpg

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
A lot of really good info in this thread from people who know what they are talking about. Lot of bull**** too.

I can’t help but laugh at the haters point out things that are completely irrelevant to 95% of the people driving HD trucks. 95% being people that tow with their trucks, keep a tire size that is near stock (up to 33” or so), and, indeed, rarely or never leave the pavement with it. That’s what GM designs to, not the guys who need a 12” lift and 40” tires with twin turbos making 700HP that truck pulls and drag races every weekend. Those are the same guys that complain the Allison transmission is junk because it limps. Double the horsepower and you’re surprised the trans doesn’t last? Who would have thought?

DEF tank too close to the ground? Yeah, it looks stupid, but it’s above the frame. I watch the dmax forums pretty close and I’ve never heard of a single person “puncturing” one, but everybody is so sure they are going to. If you really think you’re going to, then spend $150 buy one of the many aftermarket skidplates available for it and stop worrying about it. And this being a reason not to buy a truck? REALLY?
http://4wheelonline.com/Skyjacker_DEF_Tank_Skid_Plate_Duramax_Diesel.170125.627881

Talking about how IFS doesn’t hold up as well in sled pulling applications isn’t really relevant when all you do is cruise down the highway and put it in 4x4 when it snows. IFS haters gonna hate no matter what. But most of that is just factless bashing anyway. For every person that says they can’t drive 20K miles without replacing balljoints or blowing a CV shaft, there are 1000 more with 100K+ on their stock parts. Another problem people fail to realize is when you take the high-quality OEM parts out and replace them with the cheapest **** that Autozone sells, it’s not going to last as long, so I can see how larger tires and cheap parts wouldn’t mix well, on ANY suspension not just IFS.

When I was shopping for a diesel, my friend cautioned me that the “IFS junk” is going to be a constant headache. We’re both now at about 100K miles. The front of my Duramax is all still original, as tight as the day it was new, and I have never had a single feathered edge on any of my tread blocks. I’ve done probably 20 launches in 4x4 @ 10 PSI on pavement with the tires warmed up at the track. He’s replacing his third set of wheel bearings and ball joints on his F250 this weekend and he’s now on his fifth set of tires due to them wearing out so fast because he can’t keep it in alignment. The ride isn’t even remotely comparable between the two. I realize that SFA technology has come a long way since the leaf sprung days. It had to compete with the awesome ride and dependability of GM’s IFS. :p And let’s not even get started on the Ford 6.0 engine problems he’s had to deal with. Yeah, I really regret not buying one of those Fords. LOL

Most people who think they “need” a diesel to “save” money need to sit down with a calculator and some realistic numbers. Anybody that thinks they will ever save a single dime buying a diesel over a gas truck is wrong. The only, only way that would ever be remotely possible is if all they do is hauling all the time. Diesels are EXPENSIVE. Everything about them is.

Yes, resale is way better, but I think the market price is still very much artificially high as everybody wants to get into a pre-emissions diesel. Paying $30K for a 8 year old truck with 100,000 miles on it is nuts, but people are still doing it every day because they are so scared of the emissions. My loaded 06 Duramax was $42K sticker. That same truck new today is easily $65K sticker. The used market prices went up because the new prices went way up and the pre-emissions trucks are more desirable. Once they get the emissions stuff working better and the new trucks become more appealing, the market will level back out. I’ll be keeping mine around for a few more years until I can find a 15+ a few years old used. The new ones are just too much money.

I’m not unhappy with the cab space in my Crew Cab Chevy, and nobody has ever complained that has ridden back there (several people 6’ tall), but if they made a Mega Cab, I would have held out for one for sure. There is definitely some market share to be gained there, but with the new cab just being just released, I think we got what we got now.

I will say that if I didn’t need a diesel, I wouldn’t have one. I have a high profile 10K enclosed trailer I pull all over this country, and a gas engine would really struggle. I average about 10 MPG with it, and my friend with the same truck with a 6.0 got about 6 the time he borrowed it. The cost of diesel fuel is stupidly more expensive than gasoline. Always have to use additives when filling up is an expensive and a pain in the butt. Having to always let the truck warm up so the engine doesn’t sound like its coming apart sucks. Fuel filters are expensive. God help me if my injectors or injection pump go bad ($$$$). I still don’t like the smell of diesel exhaust. Diesel fuel smell does not wash off your hands and it doesn’t evaporate off the pump handle, so every time you fill up you get it on you. Stations that carry diesel are far fewer than gasoline. The spool-up time is frustrating sometimes, but you get used to it. Even with all those gripes, I still love driving my truck every day. But, if they made a gas engine that made the same power, I would be the first one to buy it.

Pretty much nailed it.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
well i did it yesterday. ordered myself a brand new 2015 2500hd with the 6.0

thanks for all the advice giving in this thread :beer;

congrats, ya rich plant worker! this one better have 4 doors so you can drive for the tony llama trip next year :horn:
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
congrats, ya rich plant worker! this one better have 4 doors so you can drive for the tony llama trip next year :horn:
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

nope, regular cab long box ;) hahahaa

Premium Features