• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 600 Summit Hard to start when warm?

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Just as it says, 03 Summit 600 144", starts fine when cold but then when it is warm and sits for 5-10 mins, it is hard to start, needs choke and 10-12 pulls. Anyone else have the same issue? Solutions?

Thanks.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
You probably need to turn off carb warmers little red knob near carbs. if on in warm weather above 20' f sled is hard to start warm cause fuel is evap'd from carbs into cylinders when parked... rings would not do this, they would be worse when cold.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
" rings would not do this, they would be worse when cold. "

I have to dissagree with this statment. I have seen this happen many times when the compression on one cylinder is lower than the other. Compression is one of the first things I check with a hard starting when warm complaint.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Thanks guys. Its not rings, compression specs out at good and sled was lady driven (literally) before we bought it, only has 1700 miles on it. Sled runs really strong too, and also it starts good when cold. Its my old mans sled, will check to see if the carb heaters are on.

Thanks for the help.

P
Nov 28, 2007
in a town
You probably need to turn off carb warmers little red knob near carbs. if on in warm weather above 20' f sled is hard to start warm cause fuel is evap'd from carbs into cylinders when parked... rings would not do this, they would be worse when cold.

yea they sure do actually my 04 starts up like a champion in the morning then you ride it for a bit let it sit for a while quite hard to start exactly like above....:beer;

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Went riding yesterday. Carb heaters are off, still doing it. Seems like its not getting enough fuel in it when it sits for 20 mins or so (fuel evaporating?). You have to choke it to get it to fire, then hold the throttle open a little and go to half choke. Frustrating, any thoughts? Carb heater switch is working, no hot coolant going to the carbs. Pilots plugged? Never had a sled do this before.

Also, you have to turn the idle up to about 2000 rpm for 2000 ft, or it won't idle at all at 6000 ft. I dropped the idle to 1400 at 2000 ft and he has to keep his thumb on the throttle to keep it running at 6000 ft? Anything the DPM that might be wrong? I am going to check all vent lines etc, this morning before we go out.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
1/4 throttle and pull when warm....if it has stock rings YOU NEED CHROME RINGS, PERIOD...check PJ and low speed fuel srew....clean jet and set LS @ 2 turns out...when you rering use a 5 hole base gasket-BJ

Premium Features