• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

getting a 2006 apex mtn with bad rod bearing,piston,valve need help!!!

A
Dec 24, 2010
hello all, im in the process of getting a 2006 yamaha apex mtn. the guy says it needs a new rod bearing,piston,and that one cylinders valves done. im looking to fix it my self but not exactly sure how as ive never tore into a 4 poke. i was told that the rod bearing isnt like a 2 stroke it is just 2 sleves and are easy to replace,but im not sure so i need some help. im also wondering what kind of prices im looking at if i do it my self.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
hello all, im in the process of getting a 2006 yamaha apex mtn. the guy says it needs a new rod bearing,piston,and that one cylinders valves done. im looking to fix it my self but not exactly sure how as ive never tore into a 4 poke. i was told that the rod bearing isnt like a 2 stroke it is just 2 sleves and are easy to replace,but im not sure so i need some help. im also wondering what kind of prices im looking at if i do it my self.

IMO, if you got that much wrong with it, I wouldn't waste my time or money. Pm Laneo and buy a good used, stock (unboosted) running motor and save the headache. Sounds like it needs a new crank, bearings, piston(s), head, block, etc, etc. Some guys resleeve the blocks, but I'm not a big fan of it.....

I've got 3 broken motors I bought for parts, every one has a f$%&ed block. If the motor was abused or detonated, chances are the cylinders are "out of round" anyway. Nice to start with a clean used stocker. My $0.02 :face-icon-small-win

Was it boosted?

A
Dec 24, 2010
well im actually tradeing it for my 03 yz250. he took it to a dealer and the dealer said that crank was good,block was good,everything but that one set of valves,piston,rod bearing. the motor wasnt boosted and the dealer thought that the bearing was defective. thanks

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
well im actually tradeing it for my 03 yz250. he took it to a dealer and the dealer said that crank was good,block was good,everything but that one set of valves,piston,rod bearing. the motor wasnt boosted and the dealer thought that the bearing was defective. thanks

Hmmm, id want to see it too believe it. Depending on price, not sure its worth all the headache of dismantling and rebuilding. Your probably looking 2-3K for a good used motor. I think you could find a good used Apex, States side for probably 4K. Really is a buyers market right now...

A
Dec 24, 2010
ya it is if you have money lol i think i could trade my other bike for a motor lol. the apex has something called kmod skid or something like that he said it was spendy also has the avid drivers and new track

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
if its just a rod bearing, piston and a valve why didnt the dealer just fix it for the guy? sounds fishy. Rarely will a rod bearing spin and not wreck the crank too especially if it lost oil pressure. if you do get it make sure its really cheap. the parts for these engines will empty your wallet quick. you can buy good running nice apex's for 4 grand or less.

also, these engines are very complicated. nothing like a 2 stroke if thats what you are used to working on. Make sure you have a genuine yamaha service manual, a lot of time and patience, and good tools if you take on the project.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Yeah honestly it might be best to look into it buying a used motor. Can actually pick one up for 1600-2000. Can always sell the one in that apex to help cover half the cost. By the time you buy all the parts to fix that one or have it fixed you'll be half way to a used engine anyway

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I'd buy a good used motor. They can be a mess just from a rod bearing going out and getting in the rest of the motor.

Premium Features