• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro or M8

$
Feb 11, 2010
Rigby, ID
I was just wondering which sled would be best for me. Im not huge into geting the highmark or getting myself into avelanche territory, and i want a good reliable sled that will be the best for me.

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
I've always been completely a 2 stroke man and have bashed on yamaha for years, that was tell I demo'd the 2010 nytro last year. I was very impressed! Loved the sled seemed to have good power, and it held its weight very well.(meaning to me it did not feel much different than my rev, felt light) My next sled is a nytro.
Dont know where your located but the Anthony Lakes hill climb (Baker OR.) in mid april Outlaw Motorsports will have sleds to demo even the new 180 turbo.

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
I've always been completely a 2 stroke man and have bashed on yamaha for years, that was tell I demo'd the 2010 nytro last year. I was very impressed! Loved the sled seemed to have good power, and it held its weight very well.(meaning to me it did not feel much different than my rev, felt light) My next sled is a nytro.

Like to hear that. Everyone says that Yamaha's are junk and they are heavy. Well have you ridden one. "well no i haven't they are junk." Make sure you ride both before you make ur decision!

BTW I would go nytro. They are very reliable and easy to do stuff to. If you completely satisfied with the power you can always add BOOST. :face-icon-small-hap

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
I would actually say the 800's have more power then the nytros. I rode a stock 2011 nytro mtx in Colorado 2 weekends ago in endless powder. I went everywhere the 2-smokes went. I love the nytro mtx.

I have ridden a M1000 and a Xp 800 Summit. The 2 strokes definitley laid over easier. the summit didn't really have a balance point for carving IMO. You would start to carve and it would get to a point and just fall right over. It would take some getting used to for sure. The nytro has more of a balance point when carving. sidehilling was very easy on the nytro to. I could sidehill for a long ways on those things!

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
I would suggest a Nytro, especially seeings how you can get a turbo kit through Yamaha Parts for 1500.00 if you snow check the new Nytro. A nytro is a turn key 200-250 on pump gas. As long as you don't mind the weight. I have heard their new track is amazing too.

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
just put a 180 turbo on then. the 1500 option on a new 12 is for a turn key 180 super or turbocharger not a 200-250hp charger.

W
Dec 16, 2009
Having owned lots of yammis (turbo, modded and stock) I would suggest either an M8 or Pro RMK. I jumped ship last this season to an M8 and love it.

The nytro is a great sled but IMO to make it mtn worthy you need to spend some money. Also for me reliability really isn't much of an issue as long as the sled can handle 2500 trouble free miles since i keep my sleds for 1-3 years.

Turbos help the nytro out a lot but i don't think the dropping 30-40lbs helps that much. Granted if you are dropping weight you are probably replacing stuff that sucks like the stock suspension and track.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I would buy a 10 nytro 163 or newer. Learn to ride the nytro. When your ready for more power install a 180hp kit. Now your 2stroke buddy's will love you. Or you can buy the 2stroke and rebuild motors change belt's,plugs and play with your clutch. Dont forget a good degreaser to wipe your sled and gear down every ride.:nod:

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Watch this first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7C54TXQLc

That's as close of a comparison as you can get without you being on the hill with all 4 manufacturers.

Now the 2 sleds in question are the M8 and the nytro. The M8 HCR is actually lighter than the standard or sno-pro M8 so I've been told. The wet weight between the HCR and the nytro mtx was only 45lbs! That's a lot less than what all the 4-stroke haters on here will tell you! Also notice that the HCR weighs 25lbs more than the pro, but you don't hear everyone saying that the HCR is a fat pig. A timbersled rear suspension and drop brackets will drop around 25lbs on a 2010-11 and 2008-09 saves 38lbs. A full exhaust system will drop around 7-8 pounds and get you up to 150+ hp with a fuel controller.

So you will have a reliable mountain sled that weighs very close to the M series sled, comparable horsepower, but an ENORMOUS torque band. Also the operating/maintenance cost of a Yamaha 4-stroke is incredible!

The number 1 thing I would do to a nytro is to swap out the track...The Maverick isn't worth it's weight in dog sh** and the benefit of a different track is something you won't be able to comprehend until you do it.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
But isnt it true they are comparing they nytro (600 class) to three 800s. there is a big difference in hp

Bancroft huh? Are you a NG Cowboy?!?! haha I'm originally from Rockland, so we were raised to give each other a hard time!

But yes the nytro is a 600 class sled that is rated at 130hp from the manufacturer. However the independent dyno companies (such as dynotech) that dyno all of the 2 stroke motors show the stock nytro motor at 139hp. So even though it's rated at 130hp at sea level you are most likely around 140.

80 ponies

Nov 26, 2007
Bancroft Idaho
Bancroft huh? Are you a NG Cowboy?!?! haha I'm originally from Rockland, so we were raised to give each other a hard time!

Not from here, Only lived here for 10 years now.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well decided to go with the m8 due to power to weight reasons.

I'm sure you'll be happy, the m8 is a killer sled. The 4 stroke isn't for everyone!

If you are even considering buying a 4 stroke make sure you go test ride one first. I rented one for a weekend before I bought one. The first 4 hours of my ride I HATED it...by the end of the weekend I was set on getting one. You can't beat $20 worth of fuel for a days worth of operating cost!

Premium Features