• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any reason why I should not swap my D8 for a nytro?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I have a line on a straight up trade for a nytro, my 08 D8 for his 08 nytro. Over there my D8 is worth about 2g more than what he is asking for his nytro, but over here (Can.) the nytro runs about the same as my D8 would. The sled has just over 1900 miles, has full exhaust/can, CE track and a riser. I know about the 08 sub frames, and would get that stiffened up. But other than that is there any reason not to go for it? And questions I should be asking him, looking for problems? Next year would bring MCX 180 kit and suspension work. It's a long drive for me so I don't want to do it only to be let down and not have it be what I expected. Can you give me any negatives on these sleds? :face-icon-small-ton

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well I don't own a nytro and I haven't ridden a D8...and now your wondering if my opinion really means chit! haha I rented a nytro and rode it for 5 days straight to get a good feel for it. I went on a trip with a 07/05/06 rev's and 07/10 m8's, the snow was pretty setup due to the lack of snow and warmer temps up here in northern utah. The nytro does fine in the flats, but when we got up to the "competition" hills it fell hella short. If I hit the throttle at the same place they would hit it I would make it about half as high as them on a long steep hill probably around 100-200 yard climb. If I took a huge run (50 yards) at it and "death-gripping" the throttle like I did back in the "short track" days I could BARELY make it to the top, still having to pull out of my line and angle it towards the top.

Keep in mind the nytro is in the 700 class though.

I like riding it because it takes skill to get it to where the other guys just go straight to the top. I keep telling my buddies the most best times i've had sledding were back when I had a 88' ski doo stratos air cooled 500. You could pound the little hills over and over and have a blast! The nytro chassis is hella fun to ride, the anti-swaybar never should have been put on this sled though. I beat the absolute chit of the sled, always jumping/climbing at full throttle and she never hiccuped. Gotta love that electric start :D

I was dead set on buying a nytro because of the reliability, had 3 out of the last 4 sleds i've owned blow up on me...that stratos was the only one that didn't! All the guys I was riding with were making fun of me...saying buy a newer sled...they are just as reliable! We later hauled the 07 M8 out of the canyon due to motor problems! Figured with a full excell exhaust (claiming around 147hp with this kit), and clutching supposed to get another 3-4hp at the jackshaft (i think that's where they measure clutching hp increases).~all mods were centered around reliability. Should be pretty competitive with the 800's.

but now I see polaris offering a $1000 discount on snow-checking because your taking a gamble on a first year chassis. They are also offering a $1000 on polaris trade-ins calling it a "loyal customer" discount or something like that. The big kicker is a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty, or 2 year engine warranty with 700 bucks in polaris gear/stuff. Looks like I may be giving 2-strokes another shot!

If your dead set on boost, the nytro is obviously the way to go...

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Ive never rode a D8. I do own a nytro and came off of a rev to the nytro. Doubt you will ever see me on a 2 stroke again. Mine is not boosted yet, (someday) but i still have a blast on it. It falls a little short in power on the steep and deep but not alot. Ive got the exhaust, track and rear suspension and wow it amazes me everyday i ride. If the one your getting has the Track and undertunnel all you really need is a rear skid and you will be happy with the change. Another good mod is a tunnel or tunnel mod. The running boards are so wide and long you tend to get held up when you start diggin. Then when you do get boost your in a class all its own. And for being in a 700 class theres not a 700 that will come close to you. Id put the nytro even with like 775

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
The heart of every sled is it's engine,...your D8 engine is a hand grenade with the pin pulled, and the Nytro motor will likely never even as much as hiccup. There are aftermarket remedies for all of the Nytro short comings as far as susp/chassi, and when it comes to boost, the options are endless. Overall, I consider my Nytro to be very playfull in the trees, a well balanced jump sled, and potentially a big hill killer. The powder performance seems a little lacking, but that too will change with the addition of compressed air. I ride with several D8's, and they are decent Mtn. sleds, but their life expectancy is always in question...

Last edited:

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
I've spent time on both machines. I'd take the the Nytro 4sure. Especially with the CE track. If its been upgraded to a longer track from the 153 hopefully they did a skid setback to help the approach angle. With the CE track the Nytro should lay a whipping on the Dragoon in the more setup snow.
As mentioned above the D8 is a grenade with the pin pulled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if boost is your plan right down the road.. go nytro... they is fun!! and with a CE your already part way there on one of the bigger $$ mods you need for em to be good... or you could boost your d8?1 :)

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Thanks guys. I would love to do this swap. But the sled is like 20 some hours away. And the other guy isn't interested is in meeting have way. To long of a drive for him. SO I'm thinking I might buy his sled outright, get it shipped here, then sell my sled next fall. Not sure yet. We shall see. It's cheap so I would like to do it.

Premium Features