• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

an idea for cooling - this works!

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
F
Sep 11, 2008
Williams Lake, BC
Unfortunately there is a lack of snow here right now, and we are faced with a pretty good trail ride to get into the mountains. I have an 05 RMk900 with SLP intake (radiator removed) and in the past I did have some trouble keeping the temps down, but yesterday I hit onto something.
A few weeks ago I removed the plastics from the rear of the tunnel (the rack) and made my own with aluminum angle. I haven't finished my rack yet and that leaves the top of the heat exchanger exposed (but protected) and has alum angle on either side, and the tail light in back. I filled that up with blocks of snow/ice for the trail ride and never got anywhere near overheating. In fact I let it get up to about 80 degrees (celsius, of course) then loaded it up and after a bit of running it would bring the temp down to about 54 (with a bit of snow on the trail), and kept it at about 61 where there was no snow on the track at all.

When there is plenty of snow on the trail and when I am up in the fresh stuff my temp is pretty steady at 54.

If you start running hot, maybe try jamming some snow on top of your heat exchanger.

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
Been running this set up on the 05 900 sounds similar wanted to trap/catch the snow and ice in the grooves and hold it on top as it kicked up, thought that it may help out with some cooling figured if the fins work on the bottom it will work on the top as well for cooling and something that would add protection for the top of the exchanger in case of a roll over.
I found this aluminum profile Home Depot some sort of door trim about 1.75” wide with a ½” lip fits together like tongue and groove, built a aluminum frame fits over and sits flat on the exchanger, no gap just pop rivet it on. I also have the rad delete and re routed the coolant hoses never have had a heat issue, ran it this spring riding on hard pack snow and outdoor temps well over 20C or 68F and right up until late May early June the only thing that did happen was burned down the Hifax and was running scratchers at the time now thinking of adding a 2nd set. if anything liked the look better then the plastic on the back.

Post up some pics when you can.

DSC01882.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

Premium Features