• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheap Nytro mods to gain HP! NOT BOOST

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
waitin for power commander, clutch kit, roller secondary, high flow intake to come in from ulmers and the nytro already has excell exhaust. going by manufactuers claims, could possilby see around 10-15hp at the track, no dyno to prove this though.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
these guys have nailed it. If you really want to gain HP without boost you can also look into port/polish and different cams as well. I dont get the drift that you want to open up the engine though.

IMO the biggest difference you'll see is with clutching, the stock setup is marginal at best.

G

GSR

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'm going to be running a stock nytro for just a month, then boosting it, so I was just looking for some simple ideas. This is my first 4 stroke, so it's all fresh. I usually pipe / head / gear / clutch my 2 strokes so I was just interested in some simple mods without getting in too deep. Sounds like clutching, and air flow are the tickets.

D
Simple mods of the stock nytro airbox gives 4-6 hp increase (or aftermarket intake kits).. My bud used to get me 4 to 5 lengths on his 2009 rtx as i have a 2011 rtx..

We drilled out about 15 small coin sized holes all over the box:face-icon-small-coo

2011 nytro rtx | cr10ek's | mbrp | c&a | stock airbox mod | backcountry 1.75 | lake effect riser 6in.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you are looking for cheap mods, then airbox vents , add a glass pack under the tunnel for like 50 bucks, clutch it and use Cr10EK plugs, 19 40 gearing. You should see an honest 10HP and spend less than $200 on the works. I had one set up like this and it ran quite well. If you do the glasspack thing don't weld to the stock header, whack to connector off the stock muffler and weld it to the glasspack. Buy the 1 3/4" 12 inch long muffler Thrush, Cherry Bomb or whatever, then you won't hoop yourself should you decide to go MCX.

This pic the sled also had an Excell Vector header but that was another $400 or so.
M5

undertun2.JPG

Last edited:
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Highly doubtful you will get 10 hp from undertunnell exhaust. yamaha did not leave that much on the table. the stock system is perfectly tuned. People are fooled into thinking its got more power because its WAY louder. You might be lucky to get 3 or 4 hp with a excell or aaen header. these engines are designed to have some backpressure. just throwing a glasspack on it you will likely lose HP and torque over stock. Not trying to bash, but i have been down this road with my nytro and this was my experience. If you don't believe it Just look at the new Apex with the EXUP system its a butterfly valve in the header to control exhaust backpressure for increases in HP and torque. If there is any benefit it would be the weight loss. Also, Like any sled there is always room for performance gains with some Clutching work.

Last edited:
S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I had a very similar set-up to M5's before I turboed my sled and I can tell you that the performance increase is noticeable. Figure a 7 HP increase with the header and 2-3 HP increase with the CR10EK and you are in the 10HP range. There are dyno numbers to support this. I don't know the validity or accuracy of the dyno results, but the seat of the pants performance gain sure felt more than 3 or 4 HP.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
If only riding it stock for a month or so before turbo i wouldnt waste my time on HP gains. Instead buy a different track, better shocks, Rear suspension, front suspension anything except HP mods. Might as well buy stuff to accent the turbo. Depending on the year on what id put money into. My 08 Nytro had just about everything done to it besides a turbo. Besides nitrous a new track was by far hands down the best mod done to it.

Premium Features