• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid PLate?

Aug 15, 2008
Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you put skid plates on your apex's? Mine is getting some work done and decided to put one on, I just always have with my M sleds and my rev. What about you guys?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I run one on mine - a habit I guess, I've had one on my last 4 sleds.

A better question maybe: Is there anyone out there that does not have a skid plate that had an issue when they thought it would have saved some repair $$ ?

I may not put one on my next sled - that will probalby result in a nice rock incident....

Aug 15, 2008
lol, just what I was thinkin.... Wasn't gonna do it, but then thought for sure then I'd do some damage...lol

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
This one is new for this year from Skinz. Let me know if you would like one!

SPGYamahaApexFloatPlatePartYFP675-B.jpg

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you put skid plates on your apex's? Mine is getting some work done and decided to put one on, I just always have with my M sleds and my rev. What about you guys?

Without a skidplate you are leaving yourself wide open to potential grief. The Apex is identical to the RX1 underneath. Take a look at the back edge where the front heat exchanger meets the bottom of the belly pan. Now imagine something scraping from front to rear of the belly pan. Many a poor soul has found their front heat exchanger resembling the shape of the letter V!!!!! Thats not to mention the lack of protection to the engine sump itself. The Yamaha one works good. Throw the aluminum Rivnuts away and get the metal ones.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The Apex I bought used last year didnt have one and they hit something at the back of the plastic oil pan cover. The aluminum was pushed up into the coolant hose that is right there at the back of the engine. It was almost cut all the way through. I put in a new piece of silicone hose, bent the metal back out and put a skid plate on. TOO MANY stumps and rocks to not run one.

Sled Soultions.....the main issue with the plate you have is that design holds too much snow and after sitting over night outside they ice up the a-arm travle. Had a plate like that before and had to cut all that material out to resolve the problem. Eric

Premium Features