• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wyo /kmod steering mod vs post forward kit

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Trying to decide if I should run the stock configured steering or run another post forward kit on my alpha. I've been running the post forward since 2015, but am interested some people say the vertical steering is better in certain technical situations. And also interested in the steering increase mod instead of the post forward...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I ran both on my 16 and am running neither on my new one. Mainly because I don’t want to take the time to swap them. Just don’t see the need. I will probably miss the kmod steering some but I’ve found I can ride stock just as well. Wish Cat would increase steering from the factory.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
I don’t think the steering changed at all on the ascender platform. I noticed a huge benifit with the wyo arm on my proclimb. Only really needed on steep side hills or deep snow. Allows you to get the nose of the sled down hill quicker. Keeps you level arcross the slope and lets you cling onto much steeper hills without the track washing out as much.

I also run the post forward. I had to get the bars out of my chest on straight steep climbs and on side hills. Running the 2” post forward and a 2” bar riser (I’m 6’2”) on flat ground the bars are a little low. But once in the hills they are perfect. Stay out of my chest and allow me to get much further forward to keep the front end down when sidehilling of climbing.

So I would recommend both. I didn’t expect to notice much with the wyo arm. But man it was a big improvement for the terrain I ride. Post forward was much needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I don’t think the steering changed at all on the ascender platform. I noticed a huge benifit with the wyo arm on my proclimb. Only really needed on steep side hills or deep snow. Allows you to get the nose of the sled down hill quicker. Keeps you level arcross the slope and lets you cling onto much steeper hills without the track washing out as much.

I also run the post forward. I had to get the bars out of my chest on straight steep climbs and on side hills. Running the 2” post forward and a 2” bar riser (I’m 6’2”) on flat ground the bars are a little low. But once in the hills they are perfect. Stay out of my chest and allow me to get much further forward to keep the front end down when sidehilling of climbing.

So I would recommend both. I didn’t expect to notice much with the wyo arm. But man it was a big improvement for the terrain I ride. Post forward was much needed.

Yea. I had the post forward on my 18 as well. But I'm leaning like jakeyboy. Leaving it all stock.

Or possibly trying the steering mod instead of the Post forward.

There are quite a few guys who say the vertical steering is better in technical situations. I am curious to hear some specific details as to why it's better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had both on a 2013 Pro-Lite 163. Without the wyo arm that sled turned uphill badly. Even tho I knew it was going to do it I had a hard time stopping it lol. I did the post forward first and that really didn’t change it much and I did the wyo arm mod and put a TOMS 174” skid under it at the same time and one the other or both FIXED that problem.
What I struggled with on that sled was very heavy steering effort. I called that sled my training sled because in anything but perfect deep snow it wore me out. Main reason I sold it.
I’m sure the wyo arm mod HAS to increase steering effort because of the decrease in leverage but I was wondering if the post forward does too. Is it a big increase or not would love to know that from the guys who have done one or both on the 18?

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
I had both on a 2013 Pro-Lite 163. Without the wyo arm that sled turned uphill badly. Even tho I knew it was going to do it I had a hard time stopping it lol. I did the post forward first and that really didn’t change it much and I did the wyo arm mod and put a TOMS 174” skid under it at the same time and one the other or both FIXED that problem.

What I struggled with on that sled was very heavy steering effort. I called that sled my training sled because in anything but perfect deep snow it wore me out. Main reason I sold it.

I’m sure the wyo arm mod HAS to increase steering effort because of the decrease in leverage but I was wondering if the post forward does too. Is it a big increase or not would love to know that from the guys who have done one or both on the 18?

What skis were on your 13?

On my 15 with Mohawks and post forward/wyo arm. I can’t say I noticed much change in steering effort. It might be heavier on flat ground, but when riding I never think about it. I find the sweep of the bars (riser inline with the post) easier to turn than vertical. Seems to match the turn of my body better. Find my elbows got more sore after a day with the vertical post than the post forward.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
7” sly dogs. On my 1100T I used the 8” sly dogs which lowered the steering effort a huge amount from the stock skis or powder pros or Mohawks. Tried all 3.
I tried the powder pros and Mohawks on the 900 and the 7” sly dogs were better but not like the dif on the 1100. I had the post forward on the 1100 but not the wyo arm.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com

I have everything identical on my two 16 sleds: gripper skis, post forward only difference is mine had kmod and other didn’t. Without a doubt there is an increased steering effort. This is second reason I’m going to try not running it and see if I feel it handicaps me in the steep.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If your pushing the limits of the sled you will notice having the steering mod. Stock requires a force and sometimes will screw you. With the mod you have more ability and more options.

As for effort, Ive noticed more in suspension and skis than the actual steering. Running a kmod skid on stiff snow with the mod and without there is a difference but not huge. Any rear skid applying pressure to the skis makes a huge difference on steering.

Any ski that bites hard is much harder. Even from a 16 cat ski to a gripper I cant stand the cat ski because it makes in a lot harder to steer in many conditions.

The mod is the least of your worries in steering effort but can be vital in technical riding.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
When I jump on the dealers demo mod sleds to do some testing I instantly cuss him for not letting me install the steering bracket. Doesn't like the idea of cutting the sleds, but he also wouldn't let me install grippers. I harass him non stop.
If that tells you anything.
But if your not going up and hitting the limits on a steep hill your unlikely to notice.

Premium Features