• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RH powder bog ?!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
oil in the airbox is a common trait on the old motors so i wouldnt worry too much if its been dumping a lot extra on break in mode. i preach checking the cables to every cat owner, mine were outa spec brand new. the '18 i checked was right on, but it was easy to do, a little easier than the pre '18s even.
i wonder if the SSI plastic conversion kits for our proclimbs have any intake gaps like these. maybe theyve got some options for the 18s as well.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Just checked my cables. They were at 34mm.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
My Snow Check has been great. No bog at all in the deep. Bone stock but an SSI Ti can. Sled has 140 miles and just rips. Looking forward to having it completely broke in.

Definitely going to check power valve cable adjustment.

Ol* Geezer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Just checked mine and one was at 34mm and the other at 32mm. I reset both to 36.5mm, now just need some snow.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Had mine out in the powder the last two days, no boging at all, but i had allready seen these posts and put tapes one the sides of the intakes. Had the same openings as others here.

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
Over the weekend I taped the intakes near the goggle bag as described by others in this thread. Hopefully AC will release an update for this, I was really surprised and disappointed at the lack of quality on these pieces. Black Gorrilla tape was used for the time being and hopefully will keep the snow out of the intake.

I siliconed the lower nose piece as their were gaps here also. I placed the hood upside down on my workbench and placed a LED work light in the air box. Turn off the lights in your shop (total darkness) and it’s pretty easy to find the gaps. Black RTV was used to seal these areas.

Checked the APV cables and found them at 34mm. Adjusted to the 36.5mm spec.

Installed the AC skid plate and was surprised at the lack of quality for the 2018 version. The 2017 version I installed on my M8000 last year seemed to be of higher quality. The directions for 2018 were just as crappy as those for 2017. Had to take a trip to the hardware store to purchase some additional bolts as the AC supplied hardware was too short in many locations. Some locations that were listed to install bolts were just downright absurd as they were located in voids where it is impossible to install a nut on the rear of the bolt. Totally unacceptable and the engineer who designed should be reprimanded. Hopefully the skid will function well as it surely doesn’t add anything in the aesthetic department. The 2017 piece was shaped on the side to “hug” the side panels a little and give the look of a finished product. The 2018 piece doesn’t do this and appears to be chopped off on a Friday evening with a dull hacksaw blade. Looks like a piece that was rushed into production in my opinion, which is really unfortunate because I know AC is capable of better. They just didn’t take enough pride to do so and are charging a premium in the meantime.

My first AC was a 1998 ZL500. Fast forward 20 years, I still bleed green but do shake my head in disbelief on some of my findings this weekend.

S
Nov 5, 2014
So it seems the V-Vents on the early release model are better than the in season models.
0f3943c5fa2537fcaef2c9681001b21d.jpg
3e4038ee6e0dc37838d93e592d45852e.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

B
Mar 31, 2010
Still bogs super bad lol! I've sealed the air box best I can with silicone but if u bury the right hand side in she blocks off and bogs bad ! Rode today with another sealed off mtn cat and we were both bogging bad ! It was deep but nothing a mtn sled should be able to handle

S
Nov 5, 2014
Still bogs super bad lol! I've sealed the air box best I can with silicone but if u bury the right hand side in she blocks off and bogs bad ! Rode today with another sealed off mtn cat and we were both bogging bad ! It was deep but nothing a mtn sled should be able to handle
You have sucked snow in. Your pistons are fawked. Seek help immediately.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I've owned 09, 10, 14, 15 and 17 Cats. I've been a loyal cat guy because of the Suzuki motor....even though the clutches were crap. However, I'll just address this to the theoretical Cat reps who read this and say unless this issue is addressed and quality is taken more seriously, I for one wouldn't even consider buying another Cat. They should be embarrassed. This "it's a great sled, but" thing is a joke when you're paying $14,500 for a sled. I used to fight bogging back in the 70's and 80's and I thought we had moved past that about 20 years ago.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I've owned 09, 10, 14, 15 and 17 Cats. I've been a loyal cat guy because of the Suzuki motor....even though the clutches were crap. However, I'll just address this to the theoretical Cat reps who read this and say unless this issue is addressed and quality is taken more seriously, I for one wouldn't even consider buying another Cat. They should be embarrassed. This "it's a great sled, but" thing is a joke when you're paying $14,500 for a sled. I used to fight bogging back in the 70's and 80's and I thought we had moved past that about 20 years ago.
Sounds like you should stay home.... The new Ctec engine will run circles around the good old zuke.
Every new sled is going to have a hiccup or two. This is just how these things go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Sounds like you should stay home.... The new Ctec engine will run circles around the good old zuke.
Every new sled is going to have a hiccup or two. This is just how these things go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

There’s a difference between hiccups and embarrassingly poor quality control. But hey, some people like to patch up new sleds with silicon seal and duct tape more than others.

I’ve ridden an 18 ER against a 17 mc. Uphill drag they were side by side. Yeah it was crisper but “circles” is a gross exaggeration.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
I found this from mine.. Stock pipe.... 900km put some more aluminium tape... Lets see.......
58737006c1cb5eb11f2095ea223fe2de.jpg

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
In the process of selling my Turbo Viper and was going get a 18 MC. None of what I have been reading makes it sound very appealing. I could go G4 and fight there clutching I guess, or wait to see what 2019 brings.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
In the process of selling my Turbo Viper and was going get a 18 MC. None of what I have been reading makes it sound very appealing. I could go G4 and fight there clutching I guess, or wait to see what 2019 brings.
Zero boging with mine, best stock sled i have ever ridden.

Mountain Cat

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

Haha. Maybe read more? Taping up some plastic seams or buying a wobble clutch that takes out belts cranks and bearings, and has a shattering bulkhead if you fart at it. Tough choice.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Finally in deep enough snow to see if there were any issues, ran perfectly fine all day, I checked over my screens before I rode and they all seemed to be tightly sealed, AC problem isn’t their sled, it is their quality control, I bought one of their skid plates, it looked like someone with a dull hacksaw had trimmed it, but the sled it self seemed to be well put together, maybe they need to hire someone to go over their production processes and figure out how to make them less variable.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Finally in deep enough snow to see if there were any issues, ran perfectly fine all day, I checked over my screens before I rode and they all seemed to be tightly sealed, AC problem isn’t their sled, it is their quality control, I bought one of their skid plates, it looked like someone with a dull hacksaw had trimmed it, but the sled it self seemed to be well put together, maybe they need to hire someone to go over their production processes and figure out how to make them less variable.

They’ve always had sub par fit and finish. Frankly I don’t care much about that but if it translates into a loss of the best powder days bogged out, it’s a legit concern. If you can really fix it with some simple patching no big deal I guess. I was just hoping for more from Cat on this sled. Consumers deserve more for that amount of money.

Premium Features