• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 mountain cat clutching for 9-10,000?

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Heading out next week for 5 days of riding in Cooke. First day will be breaking in the new motor, it comes clutched for 6000 to 8000 ft (70g). Should I leave it "as is stock" or should I drop down to 68 or 66g weights. Will be riding between 8500- 10,000. I am assuming my TEAM adjustable weights from 16 will work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I rode it with the stock weights at Cooke and mine pulled 8050 all day, everything was buttery smooth but I was going to try some MDS the next time I go and remove some weight and see where it takes me.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Stock weights and spring still the ticket for 8 to 10 elevation?

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I have installed a couple sets of the MDS weights with the recommended spring that Steve wants you to run and also a different helix. The stock sled is a ripper and pulls like a freight train, and am really pleased with it. 162" setup for 8500-10500.
The other set is on a sled with some mods and I cant comment quite yet on them because I have a few other things to get worked out yet on that sled before I can give any feedback.
I have installed a set of Dalton adjustables on a sled also for that elevation and they are working extremely well.
Have a set of SSI adjustables that are working extremely well also. SSI changed the bushings in the weights now and they are an improvement over the previous version. Order some new bushings from them to replace the old ones.
My theory on weights is if you are going to spend the money for them you might as well get a set of adjustables so you can ride different elevations or modify them for the snow conditions.
Last spring on the early builds we were running 68 gram weights and leaving everything else the factory. We were mainly riding 10K range. On one of the sleds we ground down a set of 68's a little bit to see how they would do a little above 10K and they were quite a bit better.

Premium Features