• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Snowy Range snow conditions

cowboy tom

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
We went up today the road was open and the plows ran all day long. We mostley went up to get some time on two new sleds. Road the side of the road to the back side. There are to many rocks to get off and ride at all. There were a few spots with 24 to 30 inches no base at all. Snowed hard all day. Need some more snow then some warm weather to set up the base. After that bring on the snow.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
They plowed 130 over the top? If so why? Sometimes I don't understand our state. They are going to close it this week for sure with this storm rolling in. Why waste money plowing a road that is going to close soon(within days)?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
snotel site says 50 inches?

If you look at the hourly data and see it steadily increasing you can usually count on the reading to be reliable. Also look at other sites and see if they were also increasing. The wind can mess things up too, but in this case I would say the readings are correct. Looking at the weather they should still get another 12-18" in the next 2 days. Eric

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
snotel site says 50 inches?

If you look at the hourly data and see it steadily increasing you can usually count on the reading to be reliable. Also look at other sites and see if they were also increasing. The wind can mess things up too, but in this case I would say the readings are correct. Looking at the weather they should still get another 12-18" in the next 2 days. Eric

All I know is I'm going to throw my sled in the truck tonight and verify.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
All I know is I'm going to throw my sled in the truck tonight and verify.
Thanks!
We are going some where the first week of January, so I may seek out your wisdom. The River Ridge you told me about looks awesome! Does Dale still own the Rendezvous?

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
Headed down there Thursday to confirm snow totals ! 500 miles one way, better not disappoint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Headed down there Thursday to confirm snow totals ! 500 miles one way, better not disappoint!

Looking at the snotels the snow pack looks very inconsistent. Also looking at the snow to water, what is up there is pretty dry and will likely compact a foot or more.

- I am not trying to tell you what to do, or rain on your parade
I live 25 miles from the Mtn, and I am reluctant to throw my sled in the truck tonight for the amount of snow that the snotels are showing..... much less drive 1000 miles.

Last edited:

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Thanks!
We are going some where the first week of January, so I may seek out your wisdom. The River Ridge you told me about looks awesome! Does Dale still own the Rendezvous?

If you end up coming here definitely let me know and we can meet up again!

I believe Rendezvous is still under the same ownership and management.

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
Looking at the snotels the snow pack looks very inconsistent. Also looking at the snow to water, what is up there is pretty dry and will likely compact a foot or more.

- I am not trying to tell you what to do, or rain on your parade
I live 25 miles from the Mtn, and I am reluctant to throw my sled in the truck tonight for the amount of snow that the snotels are showing..... much less drive 1000 miles.

Hell at this point it's the best we have need some break in miles for the new turbo. Plus what's better then road tripping with buds and having a few.

J

jwebb06

Dec 17, 2012
Schleswig, IA
I read on a Facebook post someone had shared from SledSmoke saying 37" in the last 24 hrs.... 60" in the past 7 days? Can anyone confirm this? Also seen through the weather channel, the Snowy Range Ski Resort, and Albany Lodges websites that weather advisory tonight into tomorrow. Anyone heard so projections in that storm? Just wondering because me and 2 buddies are getting the itch and thinking about making a trip out from Iowa to ride maybe 2 days or a day and a half... wondering if its worth it yet. Also had just a slight fear of the lakes not being froze over enough yet... anyone got an idea on that?

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Well I didn't make it off work early enough to make it up today, but some of my buddy's did.

3' or so at the gate (west side) & around 5' at the lake Marie hill.

Wydot plowed this morning so they had to ride the ditch.

They didn't have enough time to explore the north end of the Mtn where the snotels showed the deepest

They said the snow was bottomless down to dirt in most spots, zero base.

Last edited:

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
Well I didn't make it off work early enough to make it up today, but some of my buddy's did.

3' or so at the gate (west side) & around 5' at the lake Marie hill.

Wydot plowed this morning so they had to ride the ditch.

They didn't have enough time to explore the north end of the Mtn where the snotels showed the deepest

They said the snow was bottomless down to dirt in most spots, zero base.

Well that's good news, could be all dirt. Right?!

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Well that's good news, could be all dirt. Right?!

Absolutely! Especially with the slow start this season!! Hopefully the forecast holds and gives this snow and chance to settle. Then get hammered the second week in dec.

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
Glad to hear folks are getting some riding in.

PLEASE remember that although we can legally ride "off trail" right now, we still need to respect the USFS MBR snow depth rule of 12" or "snow conditions sufficient to protect soil and vegetation resources"...

THANKS!

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Going Saturday. By then might not be as much powder but do you think it will be set up more like a base by then?

Premium Features