• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ford F-150 Order Guide released

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Getting closer everyday

are you thinking about one? would you pull your 30' with it? i hooked my 30 BP to my cousins ecoboost and it had the power to pull it (only 1 rzr 1000 inside) but it got a little wobbly in the turns.

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What was the cause of the "wobblies"?

4 ply tires, shorter wheelbase, softer springs?

I have the 6.5' bed on my supercrew and it makes a sizable difference in towing stability. I'm not saying that would be the ideal fix for a 30' trailer though.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
A trailer that size should have a WD hitch on it if towed by a half ton IMO. That said the new fords are pretty impressive with the weight loss.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That's a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton in the mountains on a slick road, full of sleds, fuel, people and gear. Probably over the GVWR regardless of what the trailering weight is.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Me and a friend started doing some calcs on what kind of forces it takes to start pushing a vehicle around on a slope with and without ice. Really puts things in perspective when you see the numbers. Every additional pound of towing vehicle weight translated into 8 additional pounds of force required to move it (think trailer pushing on it). I have a whole bag of nopes when it comes to pulling 4 place or bigger trailers with 1/2 tons or explorer type vehicles.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Are you willing to share some more of those cautious tales with the rest of us (help us justify our diesel truck purchases)... Some of us haven't been at this snowmobiling thing for very long, so it's great to learn from those who have a lot of experience with the sport which certainly includes arriving safely at our destinations out West.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Are you willing to share some more of those cautious tales with the rest of us (help us justify our diesel truck purchases)... Some of us haven't been at this snowmobiling thing for very long, so it's great to learn from those who have a lot of experience with the sport which certainly includes arriving safely at our destinations out West.

With a load distributing hitch, proper tongue weight & good trailer brakes we can tow most 4 place trailers with most of the current half tons.
However, the heavy duties allow a larger safety margin for overdriving the road conditions.
And let's face it, nobody wants to run 800 miles at the speed limit.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Me and a friend started doing some calcs on what kind of forces it takes to start pushing a vehicle around on a slope with and without ice. Really puts things in perspective when you see the numbers. Every additional pound of towing vehicle weight translated into 8 additional pounds of force required to move it (think trailer pushing on it). I have a whole bag of nopes when it comes to pulling 4 place or bigger trailers with 1/2 tons or explorer type vehicles.

I'd like to add that I put around 6 50# bags of sand in the bed of my truck during the winter. I know this is can be debated, but I've pulled trailers with & without the extra weight and there's is a difference in traction IMO. My truck is a '15 GMC 3500HD SRW 4x4 CC/LB Duramax. The previous truck was an '09 Chevy 3500HD SRW 4x4 EC/LB Duramax.

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID

growing up with a cabin that required a 12 mile drive over a small mtn pass on dirt roads i could fill pages of stories about my gpa jack knifing trailers, sliding off roads, having to unload the snowmobiles and drive in empty for the weight, driving the tractor 5 miles to pull the neighbor out of a snowbank etc .... but im a slow typer :)

few quick thoughts:

half ton can easily tow an enclosed 4 place when its nice and dry. with a good set of studded snow tires i pulled our old 24' fromt boise to mccall and it wasnt too bad. need to be extra cautious of people as the trailer WILL push you around. if the road has a good grade you need to take the time to throw a set of chains on (we've had to do all 4 numerous times) before you end up stuck. its no fun when you start to spin then start sliding backwards with all 4 tires locked up lol

overall a 3/4 ton gives another level of security when things go wrong.

now its up to you if its worth ($$$) it or not.

for me i have a f250 since we tow a fair amount (probably 20-25 weekends a year).

Premium Features