• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's in your backpack?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
With the snow quickly approaching a lot of people are wearing their boots around the house.....wearing their helmets while watching sled videos.....sitting on their sleds in the garage making "Braaaaaap" sounds!

We're also taking out our backpacks and taking inventory to make sure the important things are in there.

List the contents of your backpack when you go out riding. You may get some ideas from others and maybe give someone else a idea too.

rmk2112's backpack:

• Spare pair of gloves & socks in a sealed ziplock bag
  • Secondary pair of gloves
  • Klim beanie
  • Shovel & Probe
  • Bottle of H2O
  • Protein Bars & snacks
  • 2 Flashlight & Spare batteries
  • Zippo lighter
  • Bivey blanket
  • Whistle & signal mirror
  • First Aid kit
  • Waterproof matches in watertight case with fire starter
  • Spot Connect attached to front backpack strap
  • Last but not least...a good supply of "mountain money"

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
My list is very similar--
Spare pair of gloves & socks vacuum packed
Secondary pair of gloves
beanie
Shovel & Probe
Bottle of H2O
Protein Bars & snacks
LED Flashlight & Spare batteries
Zippo lighter
Bivey blanket
Whistle & signal mirror
First Aid kit and SAM splint
Waterproof matches in watertight case with fire starter
Folding saw
GPS and compass and topo map
hand warmers
stove and cup for warm liquid

Basically, anything that is for "survival" stays in the pack and on me. Anything that is for the actual trip (food & water) stays on the sled. Easier to get to and not essential if separated from my sled.

BigT

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
Your forgetting:

Chain saw, tourniquet and a couple Hemcon bandages, I won't ride with anyone who doesn't carry a tourniquet! :face-icon-small-ton

No Joke on the Hemcon good for big open wounds. a quality first aid kit would be nice.

If you'd stay on your sled you will have the stuff that you pack on it; it's called Snowmobiling, not separated-from-the-sledding :face-icon-small-dis :face-icon-small-ton

I like the vacuum pack idea. sounds like a good kit.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I try to keep my pack as light as possible but I keep
shovel and probe
spare socks
goggles (another pair of goggles under hood also)
several extra pairs of gloves
fire starters (several methods)
whistle
water purification skills
"mountain money", lol
supply of "emergency rations" (a baggie full of snacks that will only get opened in case of an emergency) {I need a new supply now, I cleaned out my backpack this summer, left everything on the bench in my shop, and the dang mice found it...revenge was sweet but I need a new stash supply. They needed to be replaced any ways, they were probably ten years old}

I also keep a larger first aid kit and a military MRE (hot meal) in my Polaris under seat bag. Hope I never have to use any of them. Tools and lunch go in the tunnel bag.

Dec 21, 2007
All of the basics should always be carried. Ways to start a fire, make shelter...etc. But I am big on first aid also. Below is what I carry in my pack.

-Shovel
-Saw
-Probe
-Emergency blanket
-A few handwarmers
-extra goggles
-extra gloes
-extra socks
-balanclava
-a few zip ties
-rescue tape
-fire starter (Magnesium block with striker)
-Waterproof matches
-2 small bungie cords
-First Aid kit
-Tampons (Meant to absorb blood, right?work great for a puncture wound)
-Super Glue (Will work for stitches)
- Neon Green Ribbon Tape
-Water and snacks

It might sound like I carry a lot of stuff, but it really isn't that heavy. I have spent a couple nights on the mountain before If you are prepared, then it is not too bad.

Think snow and lets ride, almost here!!!!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Nothing!

After 10yrs of riding with a backpack I called it quits for the backpack last year. All of my stuff is in 4 bags on my sled, the only thing I still carry on me is one of my phones and stuff to start a fire with.

Best thing I ever did. My shoulders thank me after every ride.

Blast away. Eric

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
"Ouch" :boink: Although that wouldn't fit in my backpack now would it?:face-icon-small-dis I've got a little surprise for you. Ha! Radios and GPS are also good to have.

WoooHooo!!!

If you tear little strips of shirt, cloth, will superglue hold them to your skin? Just wondering how big a gash supper glue or another method would be good for?

I have been carrying a cheep first aid kit for a few years and adding things to it... would be good to get a combat medic advice on small but worthwhile things to have in a backcountry FA kit. The rock/knee incident a few years ago had some information on some bandage wrap(s).

Also, what is the best light weight compact shelter. I have been packing a cheap space blanket or two and one of the bigger insulated ones from FredMyer 6'x11"x1" folded.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
Last edited:

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
I carry the same Bivy. At times (depending on where I'm going) I also carry a small "blue" tarp. I figure keeping the wind and/or snow off me along with my riding gear should do the trick.
BigT

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
I see a couple people have mentioned a saw.
I carry one on my sled but never thought to carry a good, small one in my pack. You never know if you're going to get separated from your sled. Saw would come in very handy on a over night stay to help build shelter and a fire.

And on a side note, Only 2 people have listed "mountain money". Is everyone using pine cones and tree bows? :shocked::nono:

Last edited:
P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Ohhh, Ok.

I thought "mountain money" was to pay someone to find your sled since you seem to loose it soo much :face-icon-small-ton

And here I was thinking I could make a killing rounding up sleds for everyone... :face-icon-small-sho but (a little pun intended) if I see you without your sled I will know your just using the pine tree :face-icon-small-hap

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Mountain Money is to pay for the heli lift out. Make ya wanna $h&t when you see the bill.

As far as the saw goes, I keep one of the coiled up chain saws in my coat pocket.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
My list is the same.
8 inch folding saw. mule tape,elec tape, duct tape wrapped around a knife, beacon, rhino 650 gps w/games.

I made my own fire starters.
chain saw shavings. arborist sharpens my chain.
saw dust
candle wax.
8 inch 2-1/2 steel pipe with cap on 1 end.
10 ton press.
Use ex in-laws wedding gift crock pot. Melt the wax , mix in shavings and dust to were all the wood is coated in wax. Not soupy like Campbell's chicken noodle either. Using salad tongs stuff yur wood mixture in pipe with cap on the other end. Put in 10 or what you have ton press and with a solid dolly or what ever you have, press yur mixture. Wax may come out the top. Let it cool for a bit.

Extraction.
Put pipe in vise and use a heat gun to warm pipe melting the wax in the pipe just enough to knock through with a hammer and dolly.
cut into 1 inch thick pucks. These things work killer. A striker or any open flame causes instant ignition and will burn long enough to dry wood enough to get a fire going. I could have made some in less time than explaining it.

Premium Features