• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile GPS

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I thought I would post the sweet GPS I have been using. I have been looking for a good gps to take snowmobiling in case of emergencies. (Low Visibility) Even if you know the area like the back of your hand, if visibility drops to 10' you can get turned around. This is what I came up with. I got the Casio Commando. It is water proof, shock proof, rated for cold temps, dust proof ect. I guess its certified for the US Army. Then I got backcountry pro which is a sweet gps programs that enables you to download, for free, all the topographic maps of where you are going. I have tested it out and it works awesome. I just turn it to airplane mode, nothing else is running, then run backcountry pro so its tracking me. I have ran it all day sledding and battery life was at 70% when finished a day of riding. I paid 70$ for the phone with a two year contract. Then I just switched back to my old phone. (Not a fan of a smart phones) The cool thing is everything on the phone works with a wifi connection to update maps ect. and 911 will still work in an emergency. Plus its got a pretty good camera. Talk about all in one. To bad its not a beacon also! I just keep it in my coat but have a belt clip to clip it to my mountain bar if needed to follow it to find my way out

casio_gzone_commando_894340_g3.jpg

Last edited:
C
Feb 28, 2011
mount

what do you use for a handlebar mount if you don't mind me askin? Never mind, question answered upon actually reading the whole post. Thanks for the good idea!

Last edited:
Premium Features