• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TSS, RRS soft strut vs Rigid strut

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm looking for some general real world feed back on soft struts vs rigid, nothing brand specific. Pros and cons. Now that Zbroz is making a rear shock for the Camso kit I'm curious as to how it might affect the kit. Is a lock out mandatory, Where does the soft strut shine and where does it give it up. I've honestly never felt the need for one but I've been wrong before.

M5

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
I ran solid strut for 3ish years, 2 years on a LT and half year on a 2016 SX120 and then I switched halfway through a season. Been running the TSS now for a couple seasons.

Would I go back to Solid strut? No. Also, would I run the TSS anything under 400 PSI? No. Once it gets to soft (under 400 psi for me and I only weigh 180) I find you’re giving up climbing, overall snow performance as the kit loses the proper attack angle. But with it stiff enough, it only flexes for a quick second, just enough to take the hit out of stuff. Which seems to make a big difference on a lot of things. Especially any sort of jump/drop where the TSS helps with somewhat of a preload effect, and seems easier to keep the bike at the angle you want for landing. Where the solid sometimes seems to send you nose first. Also on the time where you have to spend on a trail somewhere, the TSS seems to help take whoops real easily.

Setup is key for the 3rd shock but I personally feel it was a game changer once dialed in. My back certainly thinks so if I happen to be sitting down and riding in flat light.

I've grown to prefer the soft strut over tss or fixed strut. Fixed strut is just too rigid on big hits and transfers the energy to you in a bad way.

TSS is good for soaking up hits and keeping the bike planted instead of deflecting. Problem with TSS is that it seems to rebound too quickly after successive hits and starts to buck and swap. In my experience all air shocks will do this at some point.

Soft strut is a nice compromise between the fixed and TSS. Has enough give to take the impact out, but never tries to buck you off.

Would like to try the z-bros coil-over, but will wait until it's proven to be stiff enough for the application.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I was thinking the same thing. The Zbroz spring looks pretty robust and they supply the rate according to your body size. How does 400 psi compare to an actual spring rate, I cant say myself, you would be at the mercy of Zbroz. This is the Camso one but the TS is the same just a different mount as far as I can see. Compression and rebound would be nice being that its $550.

https://zbrozracing.com/camso-snowbike-strut-shock

M5

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Ive been riding fixed strut (timbersled and Camso) since 2013.
I Just switched to a TSS this season and although the first few rides I was on the fence about the investment. I can honestly say I wouldn't ride without one now. It makes my snowbike feel more like a dirtbike. Exceptional for any kind of jump or drop. Also good for hammering through whoops on a hammered out trail.
In the powder boondocking yeah its not that big of an improvement over a rigid strut. I think it helps articulate your angles when you go into a steep transition though which happens in the powder. I run mine about 350 psi (estimate as my fox air pump only reads to 300psi).

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
The valving could definitely be changed on the TSS, that being said, I’ve seen a few “TSS SX” models out there that are supposed to have stiffer valving to start with. Never got the chance to try it tho.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
On the TSS keep pumping until the needle hits the 0 from behind , that is approximately 400 psi -- at that point there is not enough rebound , but it is about as good as it gets without getting to involved.

If I did not have the TSS on my ARO I would have a hard time deciding between TSS and a properly sprung and valved set of Elkas. I tried one Kit set up like that and it was as good as mine in the whoops and great in the deep stuff. If you mess up the TSS still saves the day in the real big hits.

High end shocks set up properly should never be underestimated.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If somebody made a resi shock for the Camso I'd already have one. I'm not sure there is enough room for a reservoir though. Compression and rebound adjustment would be nice. Hopefully somebody makes a 129 narrow rail kit for next year with a 12 inch Camso track.

M5

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I was able to try the Zbros 3rd shock on my snowtech, and I can say it worked really really well. It felt the most like a swingarm shock. The stock snowtech 3rd shock works similar to a soft strut, I was happy with that too It lacked rebound dampening though. Im on a yeti soft strut now, works pretty well, much better than solid strut. I would never run a solid strut again

W
Feb 23, 2009
Yeti is coming out with a narrow rail and a 12.5" track for 2020 should be the ticket. The yeti soft strut was stock for 2019. You should be able to order from Yeti.

B
Jan 29, 2011
I was able to try the Zbros 3rd shock on my snowtech, and I can say it worked really really well. It felt the most like a swingarm shock. The stock snowtech 3rd shock works similar to a soft strut, I was happy with that too It lacked rebound dampening though. Im on a yeti soft strut now, works pretty well, much better than solid strut. I would never run a solid strut again

Anyone have anymore feedback on this Zbros strut? Im on the fence about buying one. Seems like a great alternative

Premium Features