• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Antifreeze in Oil tank

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I just had a friend call me and tell me that his 2012 RMK has coolant in his oil tank. He said that they were out riding and noticed that the sled was low on coolant and added some. Later on they checked it again and it was low so they added some more. When they got home they pulled the cover off the other side and there was oil all over his clutches and belt. Looking at the oil tank and inside the oil tank there is coolant in it. He did say that it was not running right and had a different smell. How could this be possible?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Most likely he's got a bad o-ring, likely in the heads. Could be the outer ring.

Make sure it's not a cracked cylinder. Pull the hood (keep the healing plugged in if you can set the hood on the gas tank so the voltage regulator can keep up) and run it in the shop.

Watch for the leak.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
[B]I would not run it! [/B]

I would not run it!

I believe that there are still check valves on the oil lines? So even if the crankcase was full of coolant it would still have to get past at least one check valve and go backwards thru the oil pump. That is just not likely, possible though I suppose.

Go buy a lottery ticket because the odds of that happening are extremely slim.

Oil is lighter than water so the oil would float to the top and over fill the oil tank. But how it got / gets there? The only way it to back feed thru the oil pump. Which means whichever line it is coming thru is not getting any oil.

If it were mine this is where and how I would trouble shoot it;
I would pull the floor plate and look for the oil injection hose with Anti-freeze in it. That will tell you where to focus your next look. If it's one of the center ones (most likely). It is likely the water pump mechanical seal and your weep hole is plugged allowing it to fill the center water / oil pump drive cavity. If no antifreeze is in any of the lines is is likely entering the oil pump thru the oil pump shaft seal.
If it either the PTO or MAG line then likely a cracked water jack in that cylinder or a bad combustion o-ring (not likely though as typically the pressure of combustion would over pressure the coolant side and not let it build up in the case.

Hope this helps

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
It seems pretty unlikely this could happen and was hoping to get a look at it and verify some of the thoughts expressed on here but they already have the sled loaded up and its going to the dealer in the morning.
Thanks for all of the quick replies!! If I hear anything about what the dealer finds I will post something to let everyone know.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
OK, I'll read closer next time...

Oil in the tank? Uhhh, yeah as they said, most likely human caused.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I just had a friend call me and tell me that his 2012 RMK has coolant in his oil tank. He said that they were out riding and noticed that the sled was low on coolant and added some. Later on they checked it again and it was low so they added some more. When they got home they pulled the cover off the other side and there was oil all over his clutches and belt. Looking at the oil tank and inside the oil tank there is coolant in it. He did say that it was not running right and had a different smell. How could this be possible?

This bolded sentence negates all of your assumptions that is was simply a human error.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
There has to be more to their story. They needed to take pics of the oil tank, at least. Otherwise, it's just another unicorn. And, short of circling back to the truck, who carries coolant with them on a pow or trail ride?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I'm guessing he topped off his coolant and oil tanks at about 3am...after a good night at the bars...blacked out. And there you have it.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Since there is finally snow in our area this year they just loaded up the sleds and rode locally. They had antifreeze in their trailer and didn't ride far from it. They thought that they might have ruined a belt is why they pulled the cover off the other side when they got home.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
My friend got his sled back from the dealer and this is what was wrong. The cooling system had a air pocket in it and that is why the antifreeze level was going down and he had to add antifreeze. "There was no coolant in the oil tank." He was running Amsoil oil in the sled and had a little bit of some other oil in a jug that was blue, I think Polaris oil. When the two oils mixed they made a color that looked exactly like green antifreeze. He also didn't get the oil cap installed correctly and oil was leaking out of the cap onto his belt guard and clutches.

Premium Features