• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled starts on it's own?

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Anyone had a Pro RMK that cranks over/starts on it's own when the sled is sitting? And kills batteries as a result?

I have a replacement key switch i'm putting in, but not sure if it is that or the starter solenoid. Can't imagine any other part causing the problem. Hard to diagnose since it normally doesn't happen.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Anyone had a Pro RMK that cranks over/starts on it's own when the sled is sitting? And kills batteries as a result?

I have a replacement key switch i'm putting in, but not sure if it is that or the starter solenoid. Can't imagine any other part causing the problem. Hard to diagnose since it normally doesn't happen.

Yeah this will most likely be the relay for the solenoid or the solenoid itself.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Murph on the forums here came home to one of his sleds running and it started again on its own once more.... spooky!

Yeah, I know, that was my sled...luckily the throttle wasn't stuck, would never have believed him if it had started and crashed itself.

Did it again once when I was rolling it to get unstuck...not the sound you want to hear when you have the sled upside down, throttle in the snow, and your hands on the track.

Definitely spooky and something I want to get fixed.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Been doing auto repair for 20 years and have never seen a relay operate on its own. I have seen switch contacts burn and corrode several times causing battery drains or things to turn on when they shouldnt. I would start with replacing the ignition switch. Eric

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Relay for the solenoid? Where is that located?

Right next to the solenoid.

Another reason to always have the kill switch down when off (use it exclusively to shut the sled down), so at least it doesn't start.

Does the starter stay energized/engaged with the ring gear? If not, it gets even weirder.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I agree, a relay has an electrical solenoid that pulls a contact towards another. If the contact has losts its springiness it is possible for self star to occur but my bet is ignition switch.

I wonder if water in the ignitions switch is causing this problem?

I run my sled every couple of weeks when I'm not using it. At idle, I can hit 200 deg F in about 25 minutes. I usually take the sled up to 175 and then shut it down. I figure that is hot enough to burn moisture out but not damage engine. I would be disgusted if my sled started on it own, overheated and blew something.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
After having to replace some of the Chinese made electrical components in the pro-ride poo's, including both a failed solenoid and then a relay with only 1 season on them, I'm not shocked. Lowest bidder. Another reason to get a long-term warranty with a poo. The Axys is better, but there's a reason they cost a lot more.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
After having to replace some of the Chinese made electrical components in the pro-ride poo's, including both a failed solenoid and then a relay with only 1 season on them, I'm not shocked. Lowest bidder. Another reason to get a long-term warranty with a poo. The Axys is better, but there's a reason they cost a lot more.

It is looking more like key switch failure. I noticed the new switch has a much better feel to it, and the old switch feels gritty in comparison.

I opened up the old switch, looks like water has rusted out the old switch, and the rust mixed with grease has turned into a gritty paste.

In my opinion, their are probably enough metal particles in the grease that it could cause the starter to intermittently fire.

The switch is something you'd see in a car from the 1960s. Doubtful it is even Chinese in origin, probably some old junk Polaris had on the shelf.

Yup, confirmed, switch is made by INDAK - an American manufacturer.
http://www.indakswitches.com/

Last edited:
N

NickeH

Mar 7, 2014
If my pro rmk without ES started by it self I wouldn't sleep at night . The key on my 2012 is a joke just pull the hood contact and go.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I'll bet you a case of beer it's your keyed switch unless there was some damage to the wires in that circuit or to the relay itself. But I doubt it.
I had a similar problem with my backhoe a month ago. Went to start it up and the battery was not charged enough to start it, but good enough to barely turn it over so I shut the key off and the starter kept turning the motor over for a short time until the battery died. Heat gun on the switch for a short time, jump the battery. Problem solved. Or you could call an exorcist. :devil:

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
I saw a D-6 caterpillar start up on it's own, it was a short in the starter solenoid. Same basic principle.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Are you talking about the circuit breaker? I don't see a relay next to the solenoid.

My bad, I was talking about the circuit breaker upstream from the solenoid. Thanks.

Premium Features