• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

power valves

R
Jan 9, 2011
The LOOPS
hey guys no sure if anyone else has had this problem, but my sled lost the pto cyl last weekend, i started ripping into see if i could find the problem. when i took the head off there was obvious damage tot he piston and power valve. after ripping it all apart it appears like the small aluminum stopper on the pto power valave had actually worn down causing the power valve to creep into the cylinder and they made contact.

2014 pro rmk
2500kms

IMG_4837.jpg IMG_4842.jpg IMG_4839.jpg IMG_4841.jpg IMG_4835.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I sent in a cylinder this fall to get repaired on my 600. When I was digging around it seemed that the pv shoulder would wear out the bottom of the hole in the cylinder and do the same thing. Is this Polaris' fix to that constant slamming? If so, is this a common wear item that should be replaced at a given interval? First I have seen of them but I don't own an 800.

R
Jan 9, 2011
The LOOPS
i havent read anyother topics on this so it seems slighly rare, well rare enough that my polaris dealer cant even find the part in their system or maintance manual

any one have a part number for these?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Quite the little scheme by Polaris to sell more top end engine parts, pistons, cylinders, PVs, etc.

2500kms ain't that much - wonder why we haven't seen more of this. Gotta open up some PV assemblies now.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I think RK Tek uses spacers like that instead of cutting/grinding down the valve. Not positive, but I know where there is a RK Tek 858 kit for sale and it has those Iron Cross looking spacers.

My 15 doesn't have anything like that.

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
If those spacers are indeed add-ons to gain clearance for a larger piston in a big bore kit, I'd be speaking with the manufacturer. If an interval for replacement of the spacers is not specified at the time of purchase then this failure should be considered as a flaw in the design of the kit. IMO

D
The exhaust valves have not changed for many years. 2015 back has used the same valves. The spacer is an add on. There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post that need to be answered before a judgment can be made. Once you MOD a motor all bets are off for motor longevity. You want more power you pay the price and take the risk of failure. Just my two cents.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Had the same issues with older CFI4 Engines and the gillotines were contacting pistons and same damages. I have a process whereby I take about .030 off the faces of the valves and have done this to all of my pro's (3) now and the 800 dragon and hopefully have no more valve to piston-interference. Hope this helps, Indy Dan can cut the valve faces for you also. I have spoken with him about this problem.

gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features