• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making the Pro run cooler?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
As has been alluded to, this is a sled that was purpose built for deep snow and when in deep snow has absolutely no issues with temps unless there's something else wrong.

Normal operating temp is 125* +/- a degree or two.

I run hard, icy trails a lot and while I don't like seeing my temps over 150* it's not hurting the sled. The potential issue you run into with a hotter running temp is the sled is more susceptible to detonation.

IIRC 194* as indicated on the MFD is when ignition time is interrupted.

I run stock scratchers and find the faster I go the cooler the sled runs when snow is thin. Poking along on a rough trail to the hills or in a bigger group where you can't maintain 15-20 MPH and you WILL overheat in just about all conditions.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
As has been alluded to, this is a sled that was purpose built for deep snow and when in deep snow has absolutely no issues with temps unless there's something else wrong.

Normal operating temp is 125* +/- a degree or two.

I run hard, icy trails a lot and while I don't like seeing my temps over 150* it's not hurting the sled. The potential issue you run into with a hotter running temp is the sled is more susceptible to detonation.

IIRC 194* as indicated on the MFD is when ignition time is interrupted.

I run stock scratchers and find the faster I go the cooler the sled runs when snow is thin. Poking along on a rough trail to the hills or in a bigger group where you can't maintain 15-20 MPH and you WILL overheat in just about all conditions.

While you may not notice it at slower speeds on the trail, the ECU starts clipping the timing whenever water temps are below 98* or above 127*

Quoted from TRS a well respected Polaris Guru "The ECU and engine like temps north of 98* and south of 127*." He posted this in another thread regarding the PRO RMK and it's marginal stock cooling abilities.

Last edited:

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
I must say it seems as though if you dont live/ride in the west it is assumed that you must trail ride. I do not trail ride my Pro, i have owned mountain sleds since 02 and have not used them as trail sleds. Believe it or not most of Upper Michigan where i live is very rough, deep and steep. Do i have the elevation that you do in the west no, but do we have extreme terrain also YES! Last year we had over 300" of snow!:face-icon-small-hap I am sure that there are some in the west that also have seen the Pro run hot and just wanted to see if there were any options.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I must say it seems as though if you dont live/ride in the west it is assumed that you must trail ride. I do not trail ride my Pro, i have owned mountain sleds since 02 and have not used them as trail sleds. Believe it or not most of Upper Michigan where i live is very rough, deep and steep. Do i have the elevation that you do in the west no, but do we have extreme terrain also YES! Last year we had over 300" of snow!:face-icon-small-hap I am sure that there are some in the west that also have seen the Pro run hot and just wanted to see if there were any options.

UP is a low elevation deep snow wonderland. Would be nice to have that low elevation power at my altitude.
Edit: I am a Northern Wisconsinite transplanted to Wyoming.

Last edited:

RMK 163

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I found keeping things off the tunnel help. buy a rack that gives an air space. a lot of the tunnel bags help to hold heat but the best thing to do is the $28 kit. 111 degrees all day long in any condition.

What is the $28 kit? The wife's 2011 pro overheats when ever on a rough trail..

Dec 4, 2007
Another option on the snowflap is to order the flap from Polaris for the '16 Axys with 3" track. It's solid and about 2.5 - 3 inches longer than the ported flap. Ice Storm scratchers also throw up a lot more snow and seem to direct it better to where it is needed.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Carl's built my sled boondocker intercooled, race gas gtx2863.

They removed the thermostat, I havnt had any trouble with it being too hot or too cool....

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
On my Pro I had the Ski Doo scratchers mounted on the front of the rails and left them down pretty much all the time. When I needed more cooling on the trail I put the stock scratchers down as well. It worked pretty well.

Premium Features