• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LORD 406-GB ALTERNATIVE... LORD FUSOR METAL ADHESIVES.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Well... Thanks to a great "Heads up" from Thu Man on the forums here... I gave Lord Adhesives a call
and talked to an application engineer for about 40 minutes.

Seems that there is an alternative to the 406-19GB.

I also found out why the 406-19GB has been so illusive for consumers to buy.
Heck... the Fusor products are avaiable through Amazon and Ebay too!

Price is similar for both products (406 compared to Fusor) in the 50 ml size... BUT the larger sizes of the adhesives... the 406 gets the nod for
price as large size in the Fusor is 225ml and the 406 is 375ml (over 50% more at the same price in the 406)
... both are in the $50 ballpark price in the larger sizes. They both use different plugers (4:1 compared to 2:1)

Most local body shop supply stores have or can get the Fusor products whereas the 406-19GB must be
ordered through an industrial supplier.

Lord also makes their Fusor Metal bonding adhesives that are Methacrillate composition.

It seems that the Fusor 108B/109B, 110B/111B, 112B/113B adhesives are for job shops
and the 400 series are intended for the OEM.

They both, 400 and Fusor series, share the same base Acrylic material..they both use the 400 series base...
but they have different catalysts.

Both are available in "GB" (glass bead) formulations so they are less prone to sagging... the Fusor is more consumer-friendly
in terms of having longer open-times to assemble the product... with the 112B/113B up to 70 min

It seems that the Fusor must have a good cleaning and wipe to it... where the 406 is more tollerant of mill oils
and residue on the surface of the metal.

I did find out from the application engineer at Lord that both are compatible with application on Powder coated items
and/or without abrasion BUT...both would benefit greatly from removal of the pow coat in the bond area and abrasion.

See this link for the package of the 406 ... your local body shop can get the Fusor line.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328615

I'm working on gathering info on any comparible 3M products IF available and truly comparible. :yo:

The Chart below will describe the differnt part numbers/sizes and cure times.

picture.php

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I had talked in detail with a Lords rep some time ago about this exact thing, but in the end I never went with the Fusor because I was told not to. Wish I would have had this info back then.. That stuff is all over.. Lots of local places here had the Fusor, but of coarse nobody had the 406/19..

MH, if you were to use the Fusor, which one would you go with? I need to bond a few more things on my sled so am in the market for some more adhesive.. I am thinking the 108B since its like the middle for the times needed..

Since the plungers are different, is a whole new application gun required?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I usually prefer to talk with the engineers rather than the reps... more often than not they know more about the technical aspects of the material.

I'd go with the fast and medium for most uses.... unless I was working on a hot day in the summer time.

Balancing act .... Longer cure times equal more possibility of sagging and extrusion (oozing out) of the adhesive from the joint.

Get as fast of cure as you can possibly work inside of your "time window" with, IMO.

In the fast cure... the deal I arranged in the link is still solid and may save you some time in getting it... plus the caulk gun adapter.

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I would like to pick something up by this weekend is the reason I ask. Fusor is easy to get here.. the 406/19 is impossible..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I will do some calling.. thanks for all the info

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

live2boutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Sep 28, 2012
Polaris doesn't use the GB versions from the factory, or at least that is what the service manual for the Polaris Pro-ride chassis shows. The Manual calls out Lord 406/19 50mL Adhesive Cartridge.

Why is it that you prefer to use the GB version of the adhesive over just the regular 406/19?

I am rebonding my chaincase to the chassis of my sled this upcoming weekend. I was getting all the proper materials based on the manual, then did some searching here on snowest to see what others have done.

Attachments

• PRO-Ride Chassis Serivce Manual Adhesive Applicator Kit.pdf
    538 KB · Views: 748

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I can confirm that the factory does, indeed, 406 GB (Glass Bead) version.

Polaris doesn't use the GB versions from the factory, or at least that is what the service manual for the Polaris Pro-ride chassis shows. The Manual calls out Lord 406/19 50mL Adhesive Cartridge.

Why is it that you prefer to use the GB version of the adhesive over just the regular 406/19?

I am rebonding my chaincase to the chassis of my sled this upcoming weekend. I was getting all the proper materials based on the manual, then did some searching here on snowest to see what others have done.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
MH, besides the glass bead what other differences does the 406-19GB and 406-19 have? Any downside to using the plain 406-19?

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I use the 406 non glass bead on everything I glue. It works great. The glass beads offer a more uniform thickness but on a snowmobile it's not important IMHO. In the numerous running board and tunnel braces I have glued they all are still going strong.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
I use the 406 non glass bead on everything I glue. It works great. The glass beads offer a more uniform thickness but on a snowmobile it's not important IMHO. In the numerous running board and tunnel braces I have glued they all are still going strong.

Did some more research and the glass beads also help to prevent over tightening and squishing out all of the adhesive. But as long as a guy was careful this might not be a worry? Also found another alternative to the 406-19GB but ill post on it when I know more later. Might be easier to get a hold of :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features