• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Triple point vs Stud Boy Deuce skag for Timbersled Traverse ski?

M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Hi guys, I have a 2019 Timbersled Raw 120 with the same ski as the ARO. I HATE this ski anytime I need to ride on a compact trail, ice or road. I have the TSS shock and tried different adjustment to it and to the fork height. I also cut a little the center skag to reduce the ski from grabbing on trees or obstacles.

I’m was looking into the Triple Point Skeg as the reviews are really good:
https://www.snowbikekits.com/product-page/gold-standard-triplepoint-skeg-for-timbersled-aro-ski
Then came across the Stud Boy Deuce Skag.
https://www.timbersled.com/en-us/shop/accessories/tracks-skis/2884022/
I didn’t find many infos about the Deuce bar so I would like to know which one I should get? Anyone rode the two? :juggle:

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Observations of my riding pal who has had both on his aro is that the triple point bent and cause erratic sketchy handling on pack, and the stud boy one is legit and better quality. I still have the steel stocker but I sharpened the blades a little with a grinder.
I’ll probably treat my bike to the stud boy unit this summer.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I've never bent a triple point in 4-5 year/kits

For what it's worth, my triple points have worked well and have held up to any abuse. My .02 is all else being equal, support the little guy versus The Corporation. But to be fair, I have not run the Stud Boy.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
lets straighten things out

When we got the first ARO skis we naturally assumed they would work better on icy roads and snow pack and ruttted trails with the triple point skags.
But none were available so we made our own just like the old days track racing sleds.

But after configuring about 10 different versions of single runner with blades/bars/sharp blades more and less carbide/aggressive etc etc. In side by side riding and tests we went right back to the stock dual runner with the front edge ground back to not hang on logs and rocks.

Anyway that's our story here. I posted a picture a year ago with all the versions we tried just so it might same you some time. And anybody that wants to stop by and try my pile of single blade long short or medium runners is welcome.

As I have posted several times the biggest handling improvement we have found on old TS kits running the ARO ski or ARO kits with the ARO ski, is getting to the correct spring weight in the rear suspension for the kit. Stock these kits are sent out with springs for 125 lb riders on 180 lb bike.

Most riders when they sit on the bike out on the trail with stock springs are using 1/2 their suspension travel standing still. That puts way toooooo much pressure on the ski, period , and it makes for nervous handling.

I weight 200 lbs

my bikes with Yam WR or KTM 500

old kit with Yam type rear sliding set up 240 front shock 230 rear shock
old kit with rear scissor 225 front spring 200 rear spring
Aro kit 120 200 lbs front and rear

I have not played with an ARO 129 or 137. I am sure the 129 only needs just a little more preload to bring it around.

Long tracks usually need to go stiffer in the rear.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yes a lot is set up but in general the deuce bar requires a bit more steering force than the triple point. Both are better than the stock runner. That is unless you grind the stock one in a total banana shape -- done right it can work surprisingly well.
I like the carbides for the overflow ice that we often get ( springs) on the trail in sections -- seen and taken to manny spills with just plain steel runners.
I also grind down the first 1/4 inch on the carbides so they do not hang up on frozen in rocks -- learned my lesson there to.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yes a lot is set up but in general the deuce bar requires a bit more steering force than the triple point. Both are better than the stock runner. That is unless you grind the stock one in a total banana shape -- done right it can work surprisingly well.
I like the carbides for the overflow ice that we often get ( springs) on the trail in sections -- seen and taken to manny spills with just plain steel runners.
I also grind down the first 1/4 inch on the carbides so they do not hang up on frozen in rocks -- learned my lesson there to.

The triple point also eliminates any sketchyness with road crossings.

Overall consistent snow / ice tracking.

I too $hit my pants on the stock skeg (roots and rock), ground it down to follow the ski shape and had awesome results BUT after 1 season the skeg was a flatbar, I have about 400 meter of asphalt to do in the spring to get to my riding spot, since I ride alot, the steel was indeed destroyed.

This season I run the triple point skeg, IMO it's even better as the grinded stock U-steel as it needs less effort to steer in moderate to hard snow.
It's also FAR superior on ice and on asphalt.
In deep snow I didn't noticed much, maybee a LITTLE bit less stable since the skeg height is less than stock.

Didn't tried the deuce skeg tho sorry.

Condition du Québec en plus de ca !

Last edited:
P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
When we got the first ARO skis we naturally assumed they would work better on icy roads and snow pack and ruttted trails with the triple point skags.
But none were available so we made our own just like the old days track racing sleds.

But after configuring about 10 different versions of single runner with blades/bars/sharp blades more and less carbide/aggressive etc etc. In side by side riding and tests we went right back to the stock dual runner with the front edge ground back to not hang on logs and rocks.

Anyway that's our story here. I posted a picture a year ago with all the versions we tried just so it might same you some time. And anybody that wants to stop by and try my pile of single blade long short or medium runners is welcome.

As I have posted several times the biggest handling improvement we have found on old TS kits running the ARO ski or ARO kits with the ARO ski, is getting to the correct spring weight in the rear suspension for the kit. Stock these kits are sent out with springs for 125 lb riders on 180 lb bike.

Most riders when they sit on the bike out on the trail with stock springs are using 1/2 their suspension travel standing still. That puts way toooooo much pressure on the ski, period , and it makes for nervous handling.

I weight 200 lbs

my bikes with Yam WR or KTM 500

old kit with Yam type rear sliding set up 240 front shock 230 rear shock
old kit with rear scissor 225 front spring 200 rear spring
Aro kit 120 200 lbs front and rear

I have not played with an ARO 129 or 137. I am sure the 129 only needs just a little more preload to bring it around.

Long tracks usually need to go stiffer in the rear.

So did you spring up both your skid springs given 200lbs weight? I have a lot of ski sketchiness on my 2016 TS Short track with triple point and am 185lbs.

M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
attachment.php

Thank you guys for all the good info and opinion shared :yo:
I choose the Triple point even if it was more expensive than the Stud Boy Deuce Skeg only because it's the one I could find the most positive reviews. I also think the Triple point is more "logical" for a snowbike. Hope I will have time to test ride it by the end of this winter and give you my input about it.

Has for the suspension setup, the RAW 120 have cheap, non-adjustable shocks. On the Timbersled website, there is no spring option. I think the suspension is stiff!? I weight 155 pounds and our riding area is tight treeriding so fee jumps and practically no drop at all. I’m not sure if I bottomed these shocks but my TSS yes. My TSS is adjusted on the soft side, mostly to compensate for the stiff shock and give back the motocross feeling. Searching for better shocks it seems to always be way too expensive. Think I would be better off changing the whole kit for a better one like we can have in snowcheck right now.

triple point vs deuce bar.JPG

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
They are the same price. We have them both on hand. The triple point seem better for most of the guys we are selling them too. The Stud Boy is a great option and probably easier to find.

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Observations of my riding pal who has had both on his aro is that the triple point bent and cause erratic sketchy handling on pack, and the stud boy one is legit and better quality. I still have the steel stocker but I sharpened the blades a little with a grinder.
I’ll probably treat my bike to the stud boy unit this summer.
Stud Boy dueces sell for $69.95 each. Or $109 each from timbersled.

Triple Points have 18" of carbide (3x6" inserts) at the same cost as the Duece.

Triple Points weigh less and have less drag than the Duece.

Brett at Timbersled contacted me to buy Triple Points years ago when I was a TS dealer and first started selling Triple Points. Big corporate guy pretends TS is a small company and has a tight budget to get a discount from me. Funny stuff. I told him no he said the would call Bergstrom and buy one direct. Berstrom said no. I ended up selling him one.

They could not buy them from Bergstrom as Bergstrom does not want to be an OEM supplier, they have played that game and OEs always want profit over a quality product. Exactly what Bergtrom is against.

I am the guy that came up with the idea and worked with Scott Bergstrom to come up with a solution in 2013! I brought the first skegs out west in the spring of 2014 and they worked great.

I sell a quality product and I try to provide customers with the best advice and service I can. I do not upsell.

If you decide to add a skeg with carbide inserts I would appreciate your business!

Mike @ snowbikekits

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

C
Apr 22, 2019
I have tried:
Stock 2019 skag
2020 skag -- shallower front angle
Deuce boy
Triple point

Hands down the Triple point works much better than the rest on hard ice or road crossings.
The Deuce boy is the worst of the bunch.
The 2020 skag works good in the fluff ...but not really any better than the Triple point.
The 2020 skag holds a side hill the best...by about 20%

For general riding I use the Triple point...it also steers the easiest of all of them.

Polaris is supposed to be coming out with a new skag that has an even shallower front angle and sharper bottoms...and is made of extremely hard material...but it is not available yet as of Friday when I ordered one.

Chris

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Another vote for triple point and for Mike at snowbike kits. I've used a triple point on two ts skis and a yeti ski. I find much less chance of washout crossing roads, ice and even leaves and mud. I've done the face plant from a washout and don't care to do that again. Also, Mike at snowbike kits is great to deal with. I've bought two or three triple points from him.

Feb 23, 2019
Cheney Wa
Stud Boy dueces sell for $69.95 each. Or $109 each from timbersled.

Triple Points have 18" of carbide (3x6" inserts) at the same cost as the Duece.

Triple Points weigh less and have less drag than the Duece.

Brett at Timbersled contacted me to buy Triple Points years ago when I was a TS dealer and first started selling Triple Points. Big corporate guy pretends TS is a small company and has a tight budget to get a discount from me. Funny stuff. I told him no he said the would call Bergstrom and buy one direct. Berstrom said no. I ended up selling him one.

They could not buy them from Bergstrom as Bergstrom does not want to be an OEM supplier, they have played that game and OEs always want profit over a quality product. Exactly what Bergtrom is against.

I am the guy that came up with the idea and worked with Scott Bergstrom to come up with a solution in 2013! I brought the first skegs out west in the spring of 2014 and they worked great.

I sell a quality product and I try to provide customers with the best advice and service I can. I do not upsell.

If you decide to add a skeg with carbide inserts I would appreciate your business!

Mike @ snowbikekits

My order has been placed. I loved my triple point on my MH. Now I will give It a go on Aro3

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I have tried:
Stock 2019 skag
2020 skag -- shallower front angle
Deuce boy
Triple point

Hands down the Triple point works much better than the rest on hard ice or road crossings.
The Deuce boy is the worst of the bunch.
The 2020 skag works good in the fluff ...but not really any better than the Triple point.
The 2020 skag holds a side hill the best...by about 20%

For general riding I use the Triple point...it also steers the easiest of all of them.

Polaris is supposed to be coming out with a new skag that has an even shallower front angle and sharper bottoms...and is made of extremely hard material...but it is not available yet as of Friday when I ordered one.

Chris

Thanks for your past business Chris!

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Another vote for triple point and for Mike at snowbike kits. I've used a triple point on two ts skis and a yeti ski. I find much less chance of washout crossing roads, ice and even leaves and mud. I've done the face plant from a washout and don't care to do that again. Also, Mike at snowbike kits is great to deal with. I've bought two or three triple points from him.
Always good to visit with you Steve! And thank you for your business and post!

Premium Features