• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 2T Thermostat

B
Feb 18, 2009
I have a Husqvarna TE300i I'm setting up with a CMX kit. Having a hard time figuring out what I need to do for a thermostat. In searching around sounds like I should use a thermostat that pops at 130 but everything I have found is higher. C3 has one that pops at 140, is that fine? Also, do I then remove my factory thermostat and install the C3 universal Thermostat in it's place? Then in the summer can I just bypass it or do I have to switch back to the stock thermostat?

Looking forward to joining the snowbike club! :)

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would just do the 140 and use it year around
.. on my yz250 I have a raze 180 and it is fine...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It has a thermostat on it but it does let a good amount of coolant by now that I think about it... I would do a fan and see how it does.. they do heat up quick... I have been riding one with wheels as of late.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
140 is pretty close. You could drill a small hole in it if you want to get fancy

2 stokes make max power at a coolant temp of 90f. That’s where I try to run mine. Below 75 and your risking your carb sticking I have found.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
140 is pretty close. You could drill a small hole in it if you want to get fancy

2 stokes make max power at a coolant temp of 90f. That’s where I try to run mine. Below 75 and your risking your carb sticking I have found.
His is fuel injected

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Portgrinder knows his stuff. But the 90deg optimum temp for power is a question mark. My kx 500 runs like a pig at 90deg. My 500 runs in the 150's all day,and I couldn't be happier. Makes crisp, consistet power. That temperature gives the carb heater plenty of ice melting power, too. It would be interesting to see what temperature the most powerful 2 strokes on earth ran.500cc Moto GP of the past never ran that cool.And they made 3 times the HP of my 500.Hmmmmmm.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know that mine does not run crisp till it hits 130 degrees...... Maybe it is a perimeter on the ecu... don't know..

Portgrinder knows his stuff. But the 90deg optimum temp for power is a question mark. My kx 500 runs like a pig at 90deg. My 500 runs in the 150's all day,and I couldn't be happier. Makes crisp, consistet power. That temperature gives the carb heater plenty of ice melting power, too. It would be interesting to see what temperature the most powerful 2 strokes on earth ran.500cc Moto GP of the past never ran that cool.And they made 3 times the HP of my 500.Hmmmmmm.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
My 2008 XCW 2 strokes have the same thermostat. No problems generally in running colder temperatures. Both bikes always start well. My problem is finding a place to tap into the cooling system to get a source of handlebar heat. There is no way to do it without modifying the existing plumbing. I'd like to remove the existing aluminium hose bung on the top of the cylinder head and replace it with a t-fitting plumbed to the handlebars. Does anyone know how to remove the existing hose stem from the cylinder...likely loc-tited in there?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
My 2008 XCW 2 strokes have the same thermostat. No problems generally in running colder temperatures. Both bikes always start well. My problem is finding a place to tap into the cooling system to get a source of handlebar heat. There is no way to do it without modifying the existing plumbing. I'd like to remove the existing aluminium hose bung on the top of the cylinder head and replace it with a t-fitting plumbed to the handlebars. Does anyone know how to remove the existing hose stem from the cylinder...likely loc-tited in there?

If you want to make an omelette you gotta crack a few eggs.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I would guess its the same fitting they use on the 4 stroke heads. With a C3 thermostat you get a tool specigically made to remove this fitting. They may supply this tool seperately or you could likely buy it from KTM. If you look at the instructions in the link below you will see the tool and some recommendations about removing this fitting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdDki1QzDPKYEUJTvBlZiSd-iIrXZfRP/view

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I think you are right. Half way down in that instruction sheet, the adapter looks to be the same thread as on the 2T head. I do not need the adapter or a thermostat, only the new fitting which I will make to have two or three ports = 1. sensor, 2. handle bar hose feed 3. carb heat circuit.

I guess I'll heat the existing unit out of the head and measure the thread. Then make a new fitting to branch out to the existing thermostat circuit and the 2-3 other luxuries I want. Anyone know the thread diametre and pitch on a 2008 KTM 2 stroke head rad hose fitting?

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
You'll want to heat it to loosen the locktite but you will need that tool to turn it out. It does not have a hex head on it. It has an internal 3 spline drive arrangement which is what the tool matches up to.
If you contact C3 Powersports they can supply the tool and confirm the thread size as they supply a fitting designed to go in that location.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
I think you are right. Half way down in that instruction sheet, the adapter looks to be the same thread as on the 2T head. I do not need the adapter or a thermostat, only the new fitting which I will make to have two or three ports = 1. sensor, 2. handle bar hose feed 3. carb heat circuit.

I guess I'll heat the existing unit out of the head and measure the thread. Then make a new fitting to branch out to the existing thermostat circuit and the 2-3 other luxuries I want. Anyone know the thread diametre and pitch on a 2008 KTM 2 stroke head rad hose fitting?

couldnt you just run the carb outlet to feed the bars? would ensure your carb gets the most heat possible and less fittings.

B
Feb 18, 2009
An update for anyone looking for a Thermostat for the 300 2T. Thermo-bob has a specific kit for the 300 2T however its NOT on their website. It's call the KT3. Email them and they will provide instructions for ordering it.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
An update for anyone looking for a Thermostat for the 300 2T. Thermo-bob has a specific kit for the 300 2T however its NOT on their website. It's call the KT3. Email them and they will provide instructions for ordering it.

Works great too! you can also get 130 or 150 deg now.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I’ve got the thermobob 150 degree tstat on my 300 and it runs well, steady at 150 other than after a long climb in deep snow where the temp has been as high as 190.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Sure wish one of you guys would have chimed in regarding the Thermobob as I did a lot of research before I found that option as it was not listed on their website so I was looking at any and all options that could possibly work... :mad:

Premium Features