• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 350 Longevity

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Was recently thinking about maintenance on my 350 and I was wondering what guys are seeing for top ends on 350s on the snow.

This is all over the board on the dirt and I am usually pretty strict on when I do a top end but on the snowbike I put triple the snow hours than dirt. (Snow bike does not tire me out)

Costs are not the concern its more dependability.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know how I ride... 100 hours for sure I would be doing a top end... As long as your cleaning the filter religiously with wheels

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
I did my YZ this year at 90 hours and it only needed a light hone but the cylinder did show wear. I got between 40 and 60 hours on my 2 KTM 520 POS Thumper racing big bores. 100 hours on stock parts is the number I use regardless of bike brand. The 350 is designed to rev so odds are more RPM equals more wear. Don't forget the timing chain.

M5

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Was recently thinking about maintenance on my 350 and I was wondering what guys are seeing for top ends on 350s on the snow.

This is all over the board on the dirt and I am usually pretty strict on when I do a top end but on the snowbike I put triple the snow hours than dirt. (Snow bike does not tire me out)

Costs are not the concern its more dependability.

Although ive never owned a 350, maintanance needs should be similar to any other 4 stroke. at 100 hrs a piston and rings would be a good idea, personally id be more worried about the valve train/ timing chain all the sudden stranding you. PM never hurts but I certainly wouldnt blame you for wanting to finish the season if all looks good. (lets ride some time!)

E
Dec 19, 2007
had a 350 go to 400 hours mix of dirt and snow. no valve adjustments needed, but piston and timing chain were shot.

so pure snow 200 hours should be possible with frequent oil changes.
350s are pretty bullet proof

I guess I should clarify it greatly depends on the rider with the 350, I have a buddy who rarely goes over 8000rpm with his 350 he is at least 300 snow hours and never had wheels on the bike.

Then there is the guys who bounce the rev limiter all the time probably won't get a 100hrs.

Mine was probably 75% idleing singletrack and 25% snow but snow did see the rev limiter at times.

Last edited:
K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Although ive never owned a 350, maintanance needs should be similar to any other 4 stroke. at 100 hrs a piston and rings would be a good idea, personally id be more worried about the valve train/ timing chain all the sudden stranding you. PM never hurts but I certainly wouldnt blame you for wanting to finish the season if all looks good. (lets ride some time!)

Thanks, Its kinda how I feel but other opinions are nice to hear. Yes! I have been riding my sled alot just due to snow and not alot of people with bikes in my riding circle. Its fun to ride with just bikes.

PM me!

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
had a 350 go to 400 hours mix of dirt and snow. no valve adjustments needed, but piston and timing chain were shot.

so pure snow 200 hours should be possible with frequent oil changes.
350s are pretty bullet proof

I keep hearing stories like this and to be honest thats why I started this thread.

A close friend used to own a KTM dealer tell about a year ago. Now they were moto guys but pretty honest and they had substantially different opinions.

My last top end was all PM, once it was apart.. it started to make me think that this is just to much maintenance.

I ride a little moto and now mostly single track in the summer its not a race bike.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I did my YZ this year at 90 hours and it only needed a light hone but the cylinder did show wear. I got between 40 and 60 hours on my 2 KTM 520 POS Thumper racing big bores. 100 hours on stock parts is the number I use regardless of bike brand. The 350 is designed to rev so odds are more RPM equals more wear. Don't forget the timing chain.

M5

did you just replace your timing chain?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Seen 350 exc’s at 3,4,500 hours + in dirt use. Wouldn’t push that far with snow use myself, but it does speak to a pretty bomber motor, so that’s nice. I think you’re on the right track somewhere in the 100-200 range depending on riding.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Longevity

Did a top end on my 17yzfx this summer. It had just over 200 hours on the snow. I seldom hit rev limiter, try to not lug at low rpm, and try not to abuse in anyway. I replaced all valve springs, valve seals, timing chain and piston and rings. Nothing I replaced was visibly worn or defective. The new and old timing chains were exactly the same length, ring gap between old and new rings was nearly identical, the moly coat on the old piston was still 80%. Slight amount worn off at bottom of skirt. Cylinder looked great. Crank assembly width and big end rod clearance were both middle of spec. I have no doubt it would have been fine for an additional 100 or more hrs. My 2010 510 husky has over 300 hrs and never touched. Just my experience.

M
Jan 14, 2004
did you just replace your timing chain?

No I did piston, rings, timing chain and valve set, valves were all in spec. Mine was due. In part it depends on how and where you ride. I'm forced to be wound out quite a bit where we ride.

M5

Premium Features