• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Build a DIY bullet proof 800 CFI

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I have been nominated to build my friends 2014 800 cfi that has gone south twice ,
once on the factory build and the 500 miles later on his build .

I will list the Mods that i have seen on here to help prevent this from happening again .

Please feel free to add in any that I may have missed

shim kit and longer rods

shim kit and taller pistons

wossner pistons

newer monoblock with tighter tolerances

newer OEM pistons with thicker skirts

BRP T-Stat mixing valve

Oil tank venting

Oil pump stroke indexing increased approx 3 turns

is there a way to reduce the lash between the brass center drive and the cross shaft that drive the oil and water pump ?
how much las are people seeing here ? lets say we use a clock as an index template on the water pump impeller , this one has approx 5 min ish

all regular build parameters will be observed like , ring end gap , piston clearance , cylinder head to piston squish , OEM TPS setting . no sealant in the mag oil port!! , circlips at 12 or 6 oclock , oil everywhere and cleanliness observed , and proper torques , did I miss anything ?

Last edited:
bullet proof CFI ? - im supprised all the indy dan long rod three year waranty guys arnt going bananas here.
i am at 4000 miles and just got fitted pistons in my top end, next time round will be at 6000 miles a redone mape crank and again new pistons and redo the water pump - if all goes as planed.
good luck whatever way you go with your bullet proof effort

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you really want Bullet proof, forget DIY, and send it to Indy Dan

An Indy Dan Blueprinted engine is not "DIY" as the OP asked for. But they are as close as you're ever going to get to "Bullet Proof" (assuming you take your head out of your AZZ, and follow his directions and don't sabotage the build yourself due to ignorance)!

The Average Joe does not have the machine shop access, measurement tools, nor knowledge to truly get a bullet proof build. IMO

often motor, high output, bulletproof, long life, just don't go together, i use a machinest to measure my stuff, it takes a variable out of the mix and i use other profesionals as needed, my hat is off to anyone who will dig in on a modern sled and just do it, if a shop built me a 500 mile motor you can bet i would be putting the next one together.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
maybe bullet proof was to strong of a term !!

I am just trying to build this motor so it lasts longer than it did .

I'm not sure why it went down the first time, but this time around the Mag side piston is scored on the intake side , and the crank bearings are rough , one of the shims were missed on the rebuild and the center brass gear has abnormal wear on it .

I am sure that Indy Dan long rod motors are top notch , but that option is to expensive for me up here in Canada .

I'm just trying to find out if there are any other things besides the ones I listed above can increase the life of this 800 CFI .

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
How do I differentiate between the Mape crank and the Fugi crank ?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
How do I differentiate between the Mape crank and the Fugi crank ?

Part number difference, for one, that is Laser etched into the square face of the crank where the clutch bolt enters the crank shaft.

Additionally;

The Fugi crank is faced square at the end of the taper.

The Mape crank is faced square but has a small protruding step around the clutch bolt hole.

Mape cranks in the 800's ended in late 2012 or the Fuji cranks started on the 2013 model so by 2014 you should have the better Fuji .
I seen on eBay long rod cranks and they also had rod kits With longer rods from Utah crank , so if your building a crankshaft any way how much more to go long rod? I think if it's quality parts it should extend engine life .

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Mape cranks in the 800's ended in late 2012 or the Fuji cranks started on the 2013 model so by 2014 you should have the better Fuji .
I seen on eBay long rod cranks and they also had rod kits With longer rods from Utah crank , so if your building a crankshaft any way how much more to go long rod? I think if it's quality parts it should extend engine life .

As a note the Fuji Cranks need the taper lapped to fit the clutch. The Mapes cranks don't, usually.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Turn oil up 3 turns

Vented oil cap (Paaso Racing)

MTNTEK Fix Kit

High quality oil

Very thorough warm ups with the forged pistons

Ensure proper primary clutch balance

Premium Features