• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Up to 9.4%..... Your guess on when we see 10%??

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Jobless rate hits 9.4 percent in May; layoffs slow
Jobless rate jumps to 9.4 percent in May, even as layoffs slow to 345,000
Jeannine Aversa, AP Economics Writer
On Friday June 5, 2009, 8:38 am EDT

Print WASHINGTON (AP) -- With companies in no mood to hire, the unemployment rate jumped to 9.4 percent in May, the highest in more than 25 years. But the pace of layoffs eased, with employers cutting 345,000 jobs, the fewest since September.

The much smaller-than-expected reduction in payroll jobs, reported by the Labor Department on Friday, adds to evidence that the recession is loosening its hold on the country. It marked the fourth straight month that the pace of layoffs slowed.

Still, the increase in the nation's unemployment rate underscores the difficulties that America's 14.5 million unemployed are having in finding new jobs.

If laid-off workers who have given up looking for new jobs or have settled for part-time work are included, the unemployment rate would have been 16.4 percent in May, the highest on records dating to 1994.

Even with layoffs slowing, companies will be reluctant to hire until they feel certain that economic conditions are improving and that any recovery will last.

Since the recession began in December 2007, the economy has lost a net total of 6 million jobs.

Obama said he could stop this and Fix that.... Well when does is start??

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
He'll fix it as soon as we all give up our guns, stop believing in God, don a turban, give him all (what's left of) our money and build a mud hut and bow down to the King of Iran or something like that.

To all those who voted for him: How do you like your change NOW? Not all change is for good.

B
Nov 26, 2007
my guess is we see 10% national average by end of August... as christmas season approaches it'll drop slightly but sales will be WAY down this year and it will spike back up over 11 by january...

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I agree with Bonz.
10% by end of august. I think it will top out at around 11 - 11.5.
Gonna be fun when people get reminded that Obama swore we had to pass the 787 billion stimulus, if we did, he would garantee us that the rate wouldn't go over 8%.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I agree with Bonz.
10% by end of august. I think it will top out at around 11 - 11.5.
Gonna be fun when people get reminded that Obama swore we had to pass the 787 billion stimulus, if we did, he would garantee us that the rate wouldn't go over 8%.

I agree also with the 10% in August but not so sure on toping out at 11.5% next year, OB needs to get it down before Nov 2010. If its 10%+ next summer the Dem's will fall:face-icon-small-coo

B
Nov 26, 2007
I agree also with the 10% in August but not so sure on toping out at 11.5% next year, OB needs to get it down before Nov 2010. If its 10%+ next summer the Dem's will fall:face-icon-small-coo

I know plenty of people who voted from obama specifically so he WOULD fail in epic proportions and we'd get a reminder of what dems really stand for...:D

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
But you have to realize that in the minds of Barack Hussien and so many of his sheep, IT"S STILL GEORGE BUSHES FAULT. I agree some of it is, like the 700 billion"Tarp fund" when we were told the world would end if it isn't passed tday,but the 787 bilion "stimilus" fund that was sold the same way without one person reading it and the next day Obutthead goes on vacation four 4 days and then spends 300 000 or so flying to Denver to sign it. He then signs a multi trillion dollar budget and now he wonders why we are not willing to spend money. I had intended to keep my business going and keep puttering around at it but I can't charge enough now to keep up with the fuel and repair costs on my old machines and I decided I will not pay him one more cent in taxes on my business so I retired in May. From what I see here I would expect to see average unemployment to be over 10 percent and gasoline close to 4 dollars a gallon by Labor day. Those who voted for him can keep hoping, I'll keep my change. We have been had.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
The much smaller-than-expected reduction in payroll jobs, reported by the Labor Department on Friday, adds to evidence that the recession is loosening its hold on the country.

.[/QUOTE]

I I think this just means its slowing down because most of the good jobs have already been cut! Its absoultly amazing someone would call -345,000.00 jobs an improvment.WTF who is that stupid.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
LMAO!
that quote just says that the recession is getting worse at a slower rate.
Gee, and it only cost us 3 trillion dollars.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
Just for comparison, it's 4.6% here.

4.9 here in Saskatchewan in May. A year ago it was 4.0. Mostly attributed to the slowdown in the oil patch. That's ramping back up again though. Talked to a guy in the rig service business that just hired another 20 people a couple weeks ago.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
People have to remember.
A lot of the jobs that were lost permanently were high tech type jobs.
It's the DOT commers and white collar jobs that were lost permanently.
The blue collar jobs will come back.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Lol

C'mon guys...its the era of "fUNemployment"...a term that could only be coined by the liberal media and Nobama...what a joke-BJ

B
Nov 26, 2007
the irony of this is that w/ infrastructures slimming down, when the economy comes back, companies won't hire back the same amount of people.

they will realize after current times, people can be more productive; hence, fewer people employed to get the job done.

with obama crushing new business opportunities, where does that leave the unemployed?

things won't go back to the numbers/employment levels they were when economy comes back. gov needs to support business by lowering operating expenses to incent growth...aka, lowering taxes- not raising them, barry.

and gov sure as F doesn't need to be nationalizing business in any way, shape, or form.

what most dems won't admit is the seemingly ironic statement that the overall result of lowering taxes will be a higher take for the government. just ask Ronnie...or slick willie.

Last edited:
Premium Features