• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shorten Pro 163 ??

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
I am a smaller guy (145lbs.) but I purchased a Pro 163" because I had plans to turbo it. After spending some time on a 155 the other day I realize that I can ride so much better on the 155.
So my question is.... how hard will it be to shorten up my sled a little, what are the options and what parts will I need?
I think there is a 155 option and a 159 option??? And I am under the impression that I will need new rails and a new track, but what else am I missing?? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I weigh 165 and snowchecked a 163. When it came down to making a decision the determining factor is the fact that the 163 only has 1 more row of lugs on the ground compared to a 155. I could not see that 1 row of lugs hindering me at all even when riding in the trees. And it was only $200 more to get the 163.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I weigh 165 and snowchecked a 163. When it came down to making a decision the determining factor is the fact that the 163 only has 1 more row of lugs on the ground compared to a 155. I could not see that 1 row of lugs hindering me at all even when riding in the trees. And it was only $200 more to get the 163.

I agree. I think this 163 vs 155 is way overthought. A guy i ride with swears he can tell the difference but i have been on one then the other...same day, same snow conditions, riding in the same trees...and there is no way i can tell.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
you might want to think about shortening your tunnel, seems it would start to drag a lot faster when trenching than a 155 tunnel and if your running the shorter track why not get all the benefits? also had my 155 and my buddies 163 side by side and there were actually 2 extra rows of lugs on the ground, the track has a lug missing on the outside edge of every row and it alternates from side to side every row, so unless your at ground level from the side it looks like only one row extra is on the ground...

Last edited:
D
Oct 13, 2008
I have a 162 X2.5 and a 174 x 2.5 and I cannot tell any difference in the handling between the two. I can however tell the difference in performance in the deep snow.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Was the 155 set up the same? Suspension, bar height/position, I really have never been able to tell the difference, until the going gets tough.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I would trade your 163 for my 155 too. Not because its better or worse, but I've ridden a 162 cat since 05, so for free I would run down to Evanston and swap you for your 163 if everything was in as good of shape as mine is...

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
Thanks

Ya, the sleds were set up the same. I really think its my weight. I'm sure if I was over 165 that the sleds would feel closer. I just don't think I have the weight to get the sled on its edge easy enough.
The tunnel swap would be awesome too but not sure that is gonna happen. Isn't that a huge PITA and expense to swap? Plus mine has a little hole in it for my turbo exhaust.

Thanks to those of you willing to swap tracks. Send me pms and we can talk about it. I am open to the idea.

Thanks all.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Call Carl's in Boise and see if they can hook you up with someone to trade with or find someone on here. The 163 is super sought after and you have an asset that will make your situation an advantage. Why on earth would you interchange and ruin the possibility of having a marketable sled when or if you decide to move on?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I agree I would find someone to trade sleds with rather than monkeying it all up. Be faster, easier and less headaches. Guys are already willing to in this thread alone....so I don't think finding someone and coming to an agreement would be hard at all.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Trading sleds? It sound slike he has a turbo..

Do a track/rail swap and be done.
I did this with my Rev, from 159 to 151 and was pleased.

Why have a sled he enjoys riding more by swapping to a 155? Yeah, that doesn't make sense..
Ride what works for you, not what works for someone else.
If the 163 isn't as enjoyable/fun to ride FOR YOUR PERSON, do what does make it enjoyable for you.

GL and have fun. :)

Premium Features