• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 M8?!?! MODS, AND ADD ONS

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
ok people i am sorry for starting this up again! but, i have a 09 m8 i want your opinions on pipe's, clutch work, head's and anything else thats a good add on for this sled! i know there is alot of topics on this all over the internet but trying to piece together things from all over gets a little overwhelming! i have a wildchild gauge cage, 2 cool side vents, home made hood lift, speedwerx pipe kit, boondocker box, speedwerx clutch kit, SLP pipe kit, 40/36 SLP helix, shift assist and i am looking to pick up a good adjustable clutch kit like cutler. what is your opinion on the best route for me to go with what i have and anything else i could add on to make it run nice. i'm not looking to turbo (yet!!), NOS or big bore. just make it run a little more efficient! thanks for everyone that helps!

oh!
my riding altitude is 0' - 3000' above sea level max, i boondock alot and a little climbing. don't like trails only to get to a good spot!

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
is the SLP pipe set up all that people say it is? i mean is it just mental HP like when you put a loud can on the thing and you think its way better when actually its hurting your machine? or is it actual seat of the pants HP? thanks again people

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
cheap:
- oil delete
- clutching
- goldfinger
- vent the dash
- gauge cage
- the 10' and newer hood vent hole sticker/vent thingy
- ditch the key switch and replace with the SLP red coil thingy
- revalve shocks for your weight and rdiing style, style is basically you jump or dont jump
- muffpot, cold food sucks:light:
-scratchers

not cheap, but sweet to have:
- SLP skis, carl cycle mod cut
- KMOD rear converstion kit
- SLP can/pipe and attitude box
- boss seat

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I would never do the oil delete but that is just my opinion. On my 09 M8 I have done the following

RKT hood lift
Sly dog ski's
2010 seat
faslane side vents
SLP pipe, porting, head mod, power commander fuel box, slp clutching on primary and secondary
3" riser.

The sled runs awesome and I could not be happier. I ran the sled for one year with just the pipe and than did the porting the next year and the porting made a huge difference. If you do not want to spend a ton of money than I would do the slp pipe with a good clutch kit.

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
thanks, my plan is to run the slp pipe, slp 40/36 helix, shift assist, speedwerx 125-340 primary spring to get the engagement down and be able to hit 8100 rpms or so, then throw a cutler adjustable weight set on the primary so i can adjust easily. if i can't get this to work then i'm going to try my speedwerx gear again. and if that don't work any good i'm selling everything sled related in my garage and moving on to something else like maybe Kniting!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
is the SLP pipe set up all that people say it is? i mean is it just mental HP like when you put a loud can on the thing and you think its way better when actually its hurting your machine? or is it actual seat of the pants HP? thanks again people

Not just mental hp like a can or somethig. I put that on my 07 and you can really feel the sled wake up

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
The SLP pipe makes really good power on the pre 10 M8, and depending on your fuel quality it doesn't need a fuel control box. Several running them in the midwest w/o boxes. Also look into the SLP performance edition with their porting.

Not to leave them out, but Rktek also does some sick porting, you may want to call or email Kelsey to see what he has to wake up that beast.

Dont forget to upgrade you Diamond Drive Bearing!

John

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I have the slp kit on my 09 crossfire 800 and riding partner has one without. I cannot stand to ride the crossfire without (spare sled) if something happens to mine, it feels like a dog compared to the slp piped 800. When Im at home i ride 0-3000 with the pipe and have zero problems. Definitely worth the coin.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
You seem to have most of the good stuff already. I will tell you the best $150 i spent on my sled, (and i spend a lot of $150's lol) were the fastlane no snows. Snow just does not stick to the plastic, and they are pleanty strong.

If it helps you any, I put 2000 trouble free miles on a 08 M8 with slp pipe and intake at 1000 ft. this past winter with no issues.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
There was a slp piped, dakota performance ported, 09 m8 with a mesh hood and some other lightweight stuff that beat my 09 slp piped m1000. Figured he was about 70lbs total lighter but it was an impressive sled.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
I ride 0-3000 on average myself up here in the AK

Here is my list:

SLP pipe set
SLP intake
SLP 120/300 primary spring, will go to 120/340 this season.
AC 75 gram weights
Rock rollers in secondary, will go with the RKT progressive adjustable helix kit this year
BOSS seat
BDX Diamond Lite Drive with one step lower gearing
Slydog skis
Timbersled side panel vents
Rox 3.5 riser

The SLP pipe set really works well, and with the combination of all the other lightweight goodies my sled will straight up spank a stock 09 all day, in any condition. Its not even close. I also think you are making a great choice leaving your primary spring at a 125 starting rate as the 140 spring from cat makes your engagement too high and leaves you trenching in the deep. I would go SLP pipe, change your clutching a bit and throw any lightweight parts you can at it and youll be a happy man this season.

Last edited:
Premium Features