• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 800, wont start after pulling teather. need help quick, have 2 more days to ride

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
I got thrown off today and the sled was killed by the teather being pulled. had to get towed back to the lodge. We tried unplugging the kill switch and the 3 wire harness for the teather. Is there any ways to bypass the teather switch? Not getting any spark at all. Cant find another ski-doo right now to see if another teather will start it. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Brant

B
I think you prolly have a different problem then the tether, my 04 will start and run with a different DESS key then my own but it wont rev past 4000 RPM. This would lead me to believe that it would run with no DESS key and just not rev past 4000 RPM, but there should still be spark.

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
will not run without tether or dess post hooked up. might be either a bad key or bad dess post. Take it to the dealer(if theres one near by) they will be able to tell you pretty quick. Does your guage still light up a little when you pull the rope? If not it could be a bad stator. I shut my rev off on the trail once to help someone and then went to start it up and stator took a crap. No warning or running bad, just worked fine then nothin.

Last edited:
T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Moisture is usually the problem, getting bucked from the sled...snow has gotten into the cap and or the switch that the cap attaches to. Dino

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
No the headlights will not even try to light up. but would they try to if the teather is off. I didn't think they would be getting any voltage if the teather is unplugged? thanks for all the inputs still trying to see if I can find another doo so I can try another teather.

W

weltdoo

Jan 27, 2008
check the inside of your teather, there should be a small square contact, they come off easy, you will have to get a new one.

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
No the headlights will not even try to light up. but would they try to if the teather is off. I didn't think they would be getting any voltage if the teather is unplugged? thanks for all the inputs still trying to see if I can find another doo so I can try another teather.

The stator powers the headlight and the gauge no matter what. you have an issue where ther is no power. Sounds like a bad stator. If it were just the tether or the dess post it would still light up.

Premium Features