• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 175 :)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
At our elevations in the NW US and SW Canada turbos aren't near a big of an advantage as the guys who ride 8000-12000 ft. A LOT of our riding is at 4000 ft and a stock engine makes great power. What I think Dave was saying was is a 2018 175 stocker is going to go where a turbo 154 or 163 would go. In the trees where it's slow and steep to very steep it's been my experience a 174-175-3" track sled is just as good a weapon as a shorter track Turbo. Also it takes a more skilled rider to really exploit the turbo in the trees. So I think what Dave said is for the most part true most of the time for most riders.

J
Mar 19, 2008
Dave is to Doo what Burandt is to Polaris . . . .both are salesmen and get paid to say good things about their "brand" :)

I'm sorry, I understand what you're saying, but watch the two of them ride. That to me is also the difference between Polaris and ski doo.
Two different directions IMO.
Burandt is busy building 350 lb sleds, not worrying about how to make it easier to start.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
This is some serious BS right there ahaha

Last years statement from Doorona about the 165 G4. " The 174 xm can't climb as high as the G4 even poaching its line". Never saw that happen. Cant trust a guy that takes misery sticks sledding.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
This is some serious BS right there ahaha

Last years statement from Doorona about the 165 G4. " The 174 xm can't climb as high as the G4 even poaching its line". Never saw that happen. Cant trust a guy that takes misery sticks sledding.

Well like he said older models with turbos are the ones he is referring to. I'd say to you... Prove him wrong and post us a video with evidence if you ever get the chance since you don't believe him.

T
Aug 8, 2011

Ya this statement was the height of ignorant and has not proven to be the case at all.

But, overall I think Norona does a good job supporting and promoting Doo and I enjoy getting his insight on the new stuff.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Well like he said older models with turbos are the ones he is referring to. I'd say to you... Prove him wrong and post us a video with evidence if you ever get the chance since you don't believe him.

Post Videos ??? Do you ride snowmobiles?? This is all you need A 174xm, A 165 G some deep snow and a steep hill. Make your own Video.... It was the most ridiculous statement made.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada

Were not the ones making crazy claims....hes the one having to backup his talk.

Put a g4 175 side by side with a pro rmk turbo and a m8 turbo and a xm turbo and prove us wrong.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
At our elevations in the NW US and SW Canada turbos aren't near a big of an advantage as the guys who ride 8000-12000 ft. A LOT of our riding is at 4000 ft and a stock engine makes great power. What I think Dave was saying was is a 2018 175 stocker is going to go where a turbo 154 or 163 would go. In the trees where it's slow and steep to very steep it's been my experience a 174-175-3" track sled is just as good a weapon as a shorter track Turbo. Also it takes a more skilled rider to really exploit the turbo in the trees. So I think what Dave said is for the most part true most of the time for most riders.

I actually agree. I have been a fairly vocal critic of Norona as a skidoo rep pimpin' his wares in the past, but I think his assessment is true for him. He rides the real steep n deep and for him I think the longer track, deeper lug, and extra power from the 850 will get him places a 155 needed a turbo for previously. I don't think he meant he would be highmarking turbo 155s, but simply be able to follow them to the play grounds and challenging terrain despite epic snow conditions. I bet it will go many more places just because of the float + engine combo, but I will let Norona perhaps clarify his statement.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Post Videos ??? Do you ride snowmobiles?? This is all you need A 174xm, A 165 G some deep snow and a steep hill. Make your own Video.... It was the most ridiculous statement made.

Well then maybe I or him could post a video. Either way someone has to do it. In my experiences this winter the 165x3 G4 indeed did/climbed everything the 174 XM did. I never got a good hill with powder to do a highmark test but truth is the 165 easily hung.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Were not the ones making crazy claims....hes the one having to backup his talk.

Put a g4 175 side by side with a pro rmk turbo and a m8 turbo and a xm turbo and prove us wrong.

Yes this was all I was saying I wasn't saying you guys in particular but I think someone should this winter to give us something to go off! I might have the chance but nothing is certain yet!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Think Dave might be a Little hungover from the show making a statement Like that..

no way in hell and back a G4 will even stay in a t3174T tracks on a decent hill.. been there done that many times:present: a few here can back that up on here..

Best test will be next year with a G4 to a t3 174s both turbo up..

And I might have to put decent cash on the smaller bore..lol

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada

That is an ignorant statement about the misery sticks.

The sled-skiers and snowboarders are the ones supporting us in keeping riding areas open because they need sled access as much as us. It seems that only Doo understands that important aspect of working together with different groups to benefit us all. And they are definitely starting to be a market worth looking at for any manufacturer. At least in our riding area and community there is a lot of crossover.
Some guys ride on day and Ski or Snowboard the next it definitely has brought both communities closer together.
One riding area that used to be one weekend motorized one Non motorized is now 3 weekends a month motorized and one none motorized.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
That is an ignorant statement about the misery sticks.

The sled-skiers and snowboarders are the ones supporting us in keeping riding areas open because they need sled access as much as us. It seems that only Doo understands that important aspect of working together with different groups to benefit us all. And they are definitely starting to be a market worth looking at for any manufacturer. At least in our riding area and community there is a lot of crossover.
Some guys ride on day and Ski or Snowboard the next it definitely has brought both communities closer together.
One riding area that used to be one weekend motorized one Non motorized is now 3 weekends a month motorized and one none motorized.
Maybe in your area. Thats Great. Thats not the case in our area..

Premium Features