• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bulkhead reinforcement plate

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
This year, broken bulkheads
60 doo's
? Cats -0?
?poo's - 0?

Still don't think its an issue?
Not an epidemic but not the norm !

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Ski Doo had a record sales year and has almost 50% of the market. With that many next generation sleds, there are bound to be some issues.

As for Cat and Poo.... Cat has had a ton of recalls and issues and Poo has had, and still has plenty of issues too (bending tunnels, explosive 800 motor (as in defective pistons) and those bonded carbon fiber a-arms they had that were breaking and pulling apart).

They all have issues. We don't exactly baby these things!

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Ski Doo had a record sales year and has almost 50% of the market. With that many next generation sleds, there are bound to be some issues.

As for Cat and Poo.... Cat has had a ton of recalls and issues and Poo has had, and still has plenty of issues too (bending tunnels, explosive 800 motor (as in defective pistons) and those bonded carbon fiber a-arms they had that were breaking and pulling apart).

I think your a little off on the years your comparing. As well as the 50% of the market.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia

Wow.....Your a little behind the times. Yes they all have something that could be improved but comparing sleds from 2+ years ago is not exactly apples to apples.:face-icon-small-dis

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
My question is will the free ride bulk head be bulked up over standard summit like years past? I hope I never have to change mine but odds aren't in my favor here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cat man doo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012
I believe they said the bulkhead plates will start shipping next week for those that want to retrofit their 2017s and my sled is going to be all torn apart so I'm going to see if I can purchase one and get it installed. Will report back.

Just a thought but I think BRP should give all 17 owners the plate

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you want to really do a comparison please compare this new sled new engine new clutch to the same from a the other manufacturers never mind the year. I doubt there has been manny launches of totally new sleds with less problems. I am not comparing them to old designed that have been updated and upgraded for several years. Anyone that does not want to take a chance on a new designs could have easily waited a year or bought a leftover 16.
How much fun is that. If you always want to be ahead some call it the Leading Edge and sometimes it is the Bleeding Edge

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
89aa5a10374fc091140377a84d6e497b.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I think your a little off on the years your comparing. As well as the 50% of the market.

Nope, pretty much spot on.

Go to Facebook, Ski Doo reported to its dealers they have 47.2% of the market.

As for years, that was not the point. The point is that all new models have issues and Cat and Poo have had their issues too. No first year sled is immune (or in Polaris's case with the 800, it was years of issues).

A
Jan 28, 2010
I'd be more worried about the new cat walking over the skidoo with 50 less cc. We will see how the new c tech motor holds up, but if it does looks like skidoo will be back in third place in the two stroke mtn market.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I'd be more worried about the new cat walking over the skidoo with 50 less cc. We will see how the new c tech motor holds up, but if it does looks like skidoo will be back in third place in the two stroke mtn market.

Cats are junk and break down more than all other brands combined. Furthermore there market share is nothing compared to Doo. Lastly, not sure how you figure 3 place as they have the largest market share right now. Just because you may prefer a Polaris does not mean most others do to...

N
Oct 25, 2009
Well since ski-doo claims only 60 were broken (2 more added last 2 days so 62) and its only 1% according to Norona on another forum of total production then ski-doo should not worry cause positively this issue will only make 1% of future buyers of ski-doo products reevaluate their next purchase and switch brands. :face-icon-small-con
If I break mine on my g4 then the updated one well be put on I guess. I am fine with that.
I think the bigger issue is that ski-doo Should Supply Everyone with a 17 ski-doo the updated Primary clutch face with integrated fins in it and new cvt cover for FREE yes Free, why you ask?? Well in good faith we trusted their engineering on this product and though I would not call it a out and out fail there are heat issues.
You might say I am just looking for a freebe from ski-doo but in reality I am not it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I shelled out major coin for the 17 in good faith and am left hanging.
And Norona this is not a bash , just a opinion have a nice day :)

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Well since ski-doo claims only 60 were broken (2 more added last 2 days so 62) and its only 1% according to Norona on another forum of total production then ski-doo should not worry cause positively this issue will only make 1% of future buyers of ski-doo products reevaluate their next purchase and switch brands. :face-icon-small-con
If I break mine on my g4 then the updated one well be put on I guess. I am fine with that.
I think the bigger issue is that ski-doo Should Supply Everyone with a 17 ski-doo the updated Primary clutch face with integrated fins in it and new cvt cover for FREE yes Free, why you ask?? Well in good faith we trusted their engineering on this product and though I would not call it a out and out fail there are heat issues.
You might say I am just looking for a freebe from ski-doo but in reality I am not it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I shelled out major coin for the 17 in good faith and am left hanging.
And Norona this is not a bash , just a opinion have a nice day :)

At least the new prime clutch face would be nice, I cut the bottom of my clutch cover so that's not really a problem now. Or at least sell it to people at cost and no markup? Still not perfect but beats nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.

I wonder what is better? Doo's rear brace or grip and rip?
I'm installing the grip and rip kit.
But might want to compare the rear brace's
Almost tempted to just replace the whole updated bulkhead with grip and rip, Preventative maintenence?

The E modules, Thought we were seeing issue with that as well?
With a stronger braced bulkhead is the E module the next week link?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

Lmao. Have you seen the new cat "walking" over the 850? I highly doubt it. Ya we all saw a video where a cat poached the doo track for 10-20 feet and then climbed 20ft higher. That's kinda what happens when any sled poaches track. It's like a shot of nitrous.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Here are some pictures of the grip n rip I installed on my 850 to help give reference to the BRP bracing. There are little right angle brackets that tie the upper a arm mounts to the bulkhead and washers that look like an 8 that tie the lower a arm bolts together. The backing plate looks similar to BRP's just not as big.

It's overwhelming looking at all the parts and pieces sent from grip n rip. Credit is given to them for providing great instructions with pictures and templates. I'm not one for the instructions, but couldn't have done it without this time. It was a 5-6 hour install for me. Have fun PaulAnd!

P1060708.jpg P1060684.jpg P1060705.jpg P1060693.jpg P1060685.jpg

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
This year, broken bulkheads
60 doo's
? Cats -0?
?poo's - 0?

Still don't think its an issue?
Not an epidemic but not the norm !

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Just because nobody posted pictures of it on SnoWest doesn't mean it didn't happen :lol: How much of the snow population checks SnoWest everyday let alone has an account.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Christopher you lucky dog you.

"since ski-doo claims only 60 were broken"

You have some karma coming to you.

Go get a lottery ticket eh.

Premium Features