• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on a snowbike ( Mototrax Demo ride )

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
While you are waiting for your strut, get to work on bleeding your brake, especially if it is the hand brake. Took me as long to get that right as it did to install the whole kit. Reverse bleed from the upper nipple in the caliper via a syringe. If you already have a bleeder kit, check the hose size as compared to the bleed nipples. Mine seemed smaller than standard. 1/4" wrench for the bleeder.

I gave up bleeding mine and have been riding without brakes all season. Probably not ideal, but it was a huge PITA and I wanted to ride!

M
Mar 14, 2012
Thats total BS pds shock lengths only lengthened a few millimeters from chassis to chassis change. One strut rod should be able to cover any PDS bike. Timbersled recommends the same strut length for all three chassis styles, 04-07, 08-10, 11-16. While maybe one length isnt perfect for every generation one strut rod should have enough adjustability to cover any year model with PDS. My point is there is no reason your fit kit should have been shipped with the wrong strut, this must not be the first PDS fit kit they sold?

Not true, there is one frame that is over 10mm different. It sits in between struts.

M
Mar 14, 2012
I gave up bleeding mine and have been riding without brakes all season. Probably not ideal, but it was a huge PITA and I wanted to ride!

I can bleed a ktm rear brake from completely dry to perfect in about 5 minutes from start to finish putting tools away.

The fastest I have every done a front brake is about 20 minutes and I got lucky, usually takes a half hour. When I bleed non KTM brakes it usually takes 2x as long for some reason.

Fortunately for me I prefer the foot brake so it is usually very fast.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
Not true, there is one frame that is over 10mm different. It sits in between struts.

Not sure what you mean by this. But I stated there is difference in shock length and just looked it up and shortest is 03 and older at 403mm and longest is 2011-16 at 417mm I'm not sure what the Xplor PDS length is. Point is that is only a 14mm difference for ANY PDS bike so why was this guy shipped a strut 2 inches too short by the pictures. There isn't some random PDS frame out there that takes a different length, I'll call it like it is and you guys shipped the wrong strut. So don't get on here and act like he has some oddball bike that you didn't know and just admit you made a mistake.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon

What frame? KTM 500's only existed from 2012 - now. and im not sure about 2017 but they are all PDS non linkage. and only come in EXC and XCW.

10mm doesn't equal 1.5" which is about how short my strut is.. by best guess. New one will be here monday though.

Also, can you tell me why my chain adjuster didn't fit through the hole? I ground it down and made it fit is that the right fix? is there something off with my kit?

Last edited:
J

Jnorth

Dec 5, 2015
Also, can you tell me why my chain adjuster didn't fit through the hole? I ground it down and made it fit is that the right fix? is there something off with my kit?
[/QUOTE]
I had the same issue and did as you did.

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
What frame? KTM 500's only existed from 2012 - now. and im not sure about 2017 but they are all PDS non linkage. and only come in EXC and XCW.

10mm doesn't equal 1.5" which is about how short my strut is.. by best guess. New one will be here monday though.

We had the same issue with one of my customers kit. After measuring the bulkhead he found that the bulkhead was not in align .
We replaced the bulkhead ( another 10 hr drive to pick up parts, Mototraxs shipping history was not good )
All these parts should bolt together without modifying anything .
I see Moto4life Randy chose to talk about your strut rod vs your bigger problem.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Is this wrong too? WTF....

It sticks out on the right side of bike, and only goes in half way on the left side of the bike...so that outer pinch bolt..isn't actually going to pinch anything. Probably dangerous. Doesn't look like this in install video either.

Does this look right? spindle/axle alignment. It looks like the ski is further back in the install videos.

Last edited:

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
That is how mine is in the pinch bolt, but the doesn't mean it's correct. Now I'm wondering if mine is wrong also. One of my complaints about the kit is that backing up or reefing on the ski when stuck causes the ski to pivot forward and up. Maybe it's because I'm not getting a good pinch.

picture.php

picture.php

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
Is this wrong too? WTF....

It sticks out on the right side of bike, and only goes in half way on the left side of the bike...so that outer pinch bolt..isn't actually going to pinch anything. Probably dangerous. Doesn't look like this in install video either.

Does this look right? spindle/axle alignment. It looks like the ski is further back in the install videos.

Both bikes have the wrong parts
6mm out both sides
I gave Randy the correct measurements back in Nov 2016 ' I got mine Feb 2017

(QUOTE) Moto4 life
KTM made oval track bikes in those years .Call our customer support hotline they might get you going by next weekend maybe.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Conveniently their ticket system is broken down today and they wont send me parts until it works.

My new strut did show up today though and I was able to get the bolts in finally. I wont know if its good until I get the correct front fit kit parts and can get it off the stand. But on the stand I had to turn the eyelet in as far as it would go and then lift the bike a tad ( not the track ) to get them threaded in..so i'm thinking now its a bit long..but I dont know yet.

Last edited:
H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
Ran into a couple of installation problems.. I sent emails out to mototrax tonight, I'll have to call them tomorrow ( Pro caliber/Mototrax or both ). Its probably after business hours at the moment. I only have time to work on it when I get home from work.

Problem 1
The chain adjuster on the chainside would not fit through the hole without binding..couldn't actually get it on at all. I fixed that by grinding at least 2mm off one side of the chain adjuster with an angle grinder.

( the part my thumb is touching I ground down a bunch on the inside so it would fit in tigher and go through the hole without binding )

Pic: Before I ground it down, wouldn't go any further than that because its going in at an angle because of misalignment.

Problem 2
I have a 2014 KTM 500 EXC. The Strut seems to be way too short.

They recommend starting at 3/8" thread showing, and going up to 3/4" MAX. My pictures are at 1/2" thread showing and its not even close to being able to fit...plus I have the rear end lifted up so high in the picture that the entire thing is actually hitting the bottom of my airbox and I cannot lift it any higher.

Maybe i'm doing something stupid but it seems way too short.

Pic 1: Chain side is hitting airbox..

Pic 2: Strut is about 11" long

Pic 3: Fit kit box it came in ( masking tape is me I opened the box over the weekend to look at the parts before install and re-taped it )

4 months and Mototrax is still doing this to their customers.
Now the kit has been installed on a bike he can not get a refund

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm still trying to get them to send the right front fork fit kit spacers. Been 2 days and nothings sent since i called them. I have sent a load of pictures and don't ever get any responses.

They told me my fit kit spacers were for 4CS forks( nonsense ) by accident and would send new ones immediately. Nothings been sent.

Also I need a new bulkhead, I did some measuring its skewed out on the chain-side 1/8" and is why my chain adjuster would not fit without going in crooked and binding.

Did some measuring its all good until the roundbar thats welded across, and then the chain side veers outwards, like its bent or something. This totally accounts for my problems, and how my chain adjusters bolt goes in crooked on the chain side and binds and wont go in.

I clamped a straight edge to the inside of the white side panels and measured out at the ends.

Then I measured the distance to the main bulkhead arms on each side.

Non Chain side = 3 5/8"
Chain side = 3 1/2"

Chain side is off by 1/8" inch.

Non Chainside picture

Chainside picture

This is a picture of me trying the chain slider and chain adjusters on opposite sides just to see if the fit was any diffrent. You can see how crooked the bolt goes through its because that main bulkhead bar is veered out on that side and skewed.

Last edited:
T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
The comment about the ski spacers being for 4cs like you mentioned is nonsense, the open cartridge forks take the same front axle as the 4cs.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
The comment about the ski spacers being for 4cs like you mentioned is nonsense, the open cartridge forks take the same front axle as the 4cs.

No I don't think that true, the new husky 501 has 4CS I think hell now i'm confused? and the diameter is diff-rent, smaller diameter on the bike right hand side for sure.

I was looking at it at the dealers demo bike here with my spacers in my hands. no way mine would fit in the 4CS forks... mine are too big around. We were hunting around hoping one of their husky fit kits would fit my bike but the forks are way diffrent.

Regardless, looks like my new parts will be here Friday *crosses fingers* that it works out finally.

Last edited:
Premium Features