• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 Budget build and all things Cr500

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
OK here's my jetting.

Main 170
Pilot 48
Float 16mm
DGM needle 3rd clip
Air screw 1 3/4 turns
Pod filter
14 16 gearing

M5

Huh, way leaner that what I was running. 175, 55 & DGH #4. Anyone had experience with fat jetting causing excessive coolant temps?

Sure sucks there's no snow around here to go test any changes out!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
M5
does you skid plate cover the pipe or is it like a regular skid plate ?
does it seem to effect the engine hp if the pipe gets a cold shot of snow ?
great write up and build :face-icon-small-hap
thanks

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I run Millar Racings 250 clutch setup. It uses all Hinson and Barnett billet parts. The basket has to be machined to fit in the 500. It has heavier clutch springs. Smooth and strong ! Only thing it needs is a hydraulic pull ! Rekluse will go in soon.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Huh, way leaner that what I was running. 175, 55 & DGH #4. Anyone had experience with fat jetting causing excessive coolant temps?

If you do the area cross section calculation between a 38mm and a 39mm (which I haven't) and the amount of each can flow there's probably not too much difference between my 170 and your 175 mains. Different bikes as well. I'm finding the CR500 is relatively forgiving jetting wise. If it's a tiny bit off now and then I'm not getting my panties in a knot about it and run out and drop another whack of cash on a new carb. CHEAP build, I've had the $30k sleds and I have more fun on this 1992 dirt bike, go figure. I have no idea what you should be jetted at but just looking at the numbers maybe I'm lean down low and you are rich. My bike doesn't foul plugs or burn them up so I'm not changing anything.

M5

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
M5
does you skid plate cover the pipe or is it like a regular skid plate ?
does it seem to effect the engine hp if the pipe gets a cold shot of snow ?
great write up and build :face-icon-small-hap
thanks

No my skid plate doesn't cover the pipe, its really nothing special, just covers the bottom of the motor. You need heat in the pipe for sure but when I'm riding around snow doesn't seem to change it very much which is why I haven't wrapped the pipe. When I start out from cold it takes a bit to warm things up for sure. If we stop on the hill for 5 or 10 minutes then get going I'll notice a little lag almost like an old RX1 rear mount turbo, but it's gone in the first 100 feet.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I run the stock clutch. I will likely freshen that up this summer. I'm personally not feeling the need for a Rekluse, its just more money. The object of this build was to NOT spend $17k. I think SB has a stock clutch too, riding the two bikes back to back I didn't notice much if any difference. I'll ask him. I know he has a Rekluse ready to go but hasn't installed it.

M5
I did this last season... I replaced everything on the bike.... .painted the frame had it ported in California installed a Rekluse, smart carb, heat, heated grips and 06 forks (I am sure I am forgetting things) ... I was still under 5 grand..... when I say replaced everything I mean everything besides the transmission.... that was having someone else put everything together.... that is the beauty of the cr500 is you can go crazy and it is still relatively cheap...

uploadfromtaptalk1422543328112.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run Millar Racings 250 clutch setup. It uses all Hinson and Barnett billet parts. The basket has to be machined to fit in the 500. It has heavier clutch springs. Smooth and strong ! Only thing it needs is a hydraulic pull ! Rekluse will go in soon.

Oh yah now I remember, I did know that, it's just so hard to keep up. LOL

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
I did this last season... I replaced everything on the bike.... .painted the frame had it ported in California installed a Rekluse, smart carb, heat, heated grips and 06 forks (I am sure I am forgetting things) ... I was still under 5 grand..... when I say replaced everything I mean everything besides the transmission.... that was having someone else put everything together.... that is the beauty of the cr500 is you can go crazy and it is still relatively cheap...

The one thing you forgot is they rip. That's a nice pic I like it.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
A Pulsed 38mm will flow more air than a regular 40 PWK so ive been told. Thats prob why i run a 200 main, drilled 65 pilot LOL !

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Funny thing is it seems efficient. Thought it would just eat the fuel but seems no different than my Smartcarb. Except without all the drama lol. And more power of course.

P
Aug 24, 2013
Curious, what clip position are you running summitboy?
I run a 195 main, DGM needle clip 3, and 48 pilot on a PWK 39.5mm.
Thats with no air filter, just a pre-filter skin on a cage setup.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Pulse setup is very different than a regular PWK. My needle is a Honda needle on clip 5. Its a richer needle than the regular Pulse needle. We thought it would be better since we run no foam filter. Pulse runs excellent. Smooth idle, simple starting, simple tuning, and POWER ! Havent even taken the carb off or rotated for jetting.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Yeah, the previous owner put on some larger capacity fluidynes so I was surprised to see cooling issues. It seems to have happened when I added the ktm T-stat so I guess it's time to pull that sucker back out.

In powder there's no way you should still be getting hot with rads still on, somthing else is causing you to overheat . I'd leave your t stat in, consistent temps are the best thing you can do to help that engine . Start exploring tunnel cooler options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Call Adam. He has the goods for the clutch setup. I really like the Pulse so far. You wont find much on the Millar site. They are full service machine shop. They build race engines, diesels, and all other things. Adams CR500 thing is his side business. He builds AFs like Service Honda just cheaper. He also does work on the green machines as well as red. I cant say enough good things about Adam over the last couple years. Excellent resource and loves the best dirt bike ever built !

M
Oct 26, 2008
I have an idea of the running hot! Head gasket possible or a tiny crack or mark on the head gasket surface. I had a similar problem on a 2 stroke I had!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Answered on the other thread, trying to keep this thread CR500 oriented.

M5

Last edited:

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
It's pulls harder than any naturally aspirated four stroke dirt bike but it's not like you will go places they can't . Same thing as long track short track argument . The shorts go everywhere the long does , just not as easy. Agility is preference , I like my 500 but the Kawi 450 is more nimble I think . Best part of the 500 is the seat hands down lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features