• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled vs UFO

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
I just wish they made one you could jump !
I'm new to the snow bikes . The thing feels like its gonna nose dive!

I love jumping my sled and riding motocross on my yz .
I thought they would be more like a motocross bike .. Im a little disapointed

I have a st mountain horse on a 2010 yz 450 gonna try the stiffest fork springs I can get maybe it will help

Stiffer fork springs should help and a set of bar risers will help too. I rode all of last year without these things and always felt like I would go over the bars if I rode too aggressively. Adding stiffer fork springs and taller bar risers this year helped a lot. Now I can ride standing up a lot more and it's a lot easier to get my weight back to lighten the front. Definitely feels more dirtbike-like this year, but it's never going to be exactly like riding with wheels.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
The SX kit apparently feels a lot more Dirtbike like as does the UFO I hear also.

S
Dec 17, 2007
The SX kit apparently feels a lot more Dirtbike like as does the UFO I hear also.

The SX is definatley better then the regular short track version but I think the 2moto still would out handle it on hardpack, and I think it was more fun to ride. Of course the 2moto is pretty bad in any fresh deep snow and is prone to getting stuck and digging itself a hole when going slower.

I suppose these will end up being like sleds where it will be hard to get one to do everything, so well have different setups like sleds such as mountain sleds/ trail sleds/ snocross, etc.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I'm curious if an SX with a powder track will be the best of all worlds?

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Mx kit?

When are we going to see an ST kit with the 3rd shock? Deep snow performance with SX suspension, best of both worlds, the STX. Might as well make a long track version as well, the LTX.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Any new impressions from folks who rode the UFO with the updates over this past weekend?

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I'm curious if an SX with a powder track will be the best of all worlds?

I was talking to Justin at UFO last night and asked if he has ever trimmed the side paddles on a 12"track to give it the rounded profile like the sx track. He said he was thinking about it and would try it and compare it to an identical bike with an uncut track and let me know if it was worth doing. He is going to take .25"off the side rows of paddles.

He also said he went with a firm moto revalve on his 13 XC-F450 and it worked better than the stock XC valving did. It prevents the chassis from blowing through the travel but still allows weight transfer when wanted. I have Factory Connection right in my town so I am going to drop my stufff off for a revalve. They do it for free once they have done it once. You just pay for fluids.

He also said he went to the foreward mount on the skid shock and has a refined shock setting that makes a big difference.

I got to talk to him for 40 minutes at least and he has some epic ideas for snow bikes in his head. I can't wait to get my hands on some of the stuff he is working on!

Wundah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2013
Central Washington
I was talking to Justin at UFO last night and asked if he has ever trimmed the side paddles on a 12"track to give it the rounded profile like the sx track. He said he was thinking about it and would try it and compare it to an identical bike with an uncut track and let me know if it was worth doing. He is going to take .25"off the side rows of paddles.

He also said he went with a firm moto revalve on his 13 XC-F450 and it worked better than the stock XC valving did. It prevents the chassis from blowing through the travel but still allows weight transfer when wanted. I have Factory Connection right in my town so I am going to drop my stufff off for a revalve. They do it for free once they have done it once. You just pay for fluids.

He also said he went to the foreward mount on the skid shock and has a refined shock setting that makes a big difference.

I got to talk to him for 40 minutes at least and he has some epic ideas for snow bikes in his head. I can't wait to get my hands on some of the stuff he is working on!

So Justin set his shock forward? When I was at the shop this fall he was saying that was mainly for roads and low angle and that the rear setting was for climbing steep hills. I've thought about that a couple times since that's how the TS kits are done but those are a completely different setup.

Have you been having issues with your front ski constantly working its way back in the adjustable travel? Mine does it almost every ride no matter how much I tighten it down, just wondering.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
Mine only moves if I hit something. I leave one of the caliper bracket bolts a little less tight so it doesn't hurt the longer bracket. I replaced the Allen bolts that do most of the work with hex had bolts so I can get more torque on them. Seems to help a lot.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
The SX is definatley better then the regular short track version but I think the 2moto still would out handle it on hardpack, and I think it was more fun to ride. Of course the 2moto is pretty bad in any fresh deep snow and is prone to getting stuck and digging itself a hole when going slower.

I suppose these will end up being like sleds where it will be hard to get one to do everything, so well have different setups like sleds such as mountain sleds/ trail sleds/ snocross, etc.

Totally agree with that. On trail I would love the 2moto over any hit any day of the week, but I still want the new TS ski with the dual skag go make max speed on the trail.

In powder the MH kit will outperform the 2moto even with 400 pounds extra to carry. EASY!

Just my 2 cents

Regards Rob

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Regarding the UFO - can a super stiff spring (or even a bar like the TS) be used to lock out the rear shock to make equal to an ST in deep snow? That seems to be an easy solution to the UFO trenching issues (unless the remaining shock in the track cannot handle the load). Just throwing out some options because I sent an email to UFO asking some of these questions with no response. Not good when you can only talk to dealers and not the manufacturer themselves. I'm trying to justify buying a UFO but they are making it very difficult with lack of info.

Wundah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2013
Central Washington
So I haven't done all the updates yet but I did move the main suspension shock forward at Justin's suggestion and yah that made a huge difference. He offered to do the whole upgrade for me but since I have a shop and I like to figure stuff out I said to just send the parts out. That and we are in the midst of an awesome snow cycle so not having the bike ready to go isn't acceptable. I like the TS but for me it's too stiff and not like a motorcycle when your riding along. The UFO is smoother, transitions better and all in all is more my style for hauling throughout the trees and fields. I think the TS may hill climb better but if I wanted to hill climb I should have kept my sled.

Have you seen the newest version of this kit? the 2moto R2

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Any further impressions of the UFO in the deep stuff with all of the updates?

M
Jan 15, 2013
I just road the best of all worlds. 2015 MH SX (prototype)

2015 prototype Timbersled SX MH.
1. Powder track 6 pounds lighter than 2014
2. New Driver. Faster and lighter
3. Fox FLOAT 3 EVOL RC2 and fox float 3. also lighter
4. 12 pounds lighter all together!
5.New scag
6. Flex Motion
Result?
1. 70+ mph top speed! And will Pull all gears
2.Goes better in deep power than a MH ST kit. 36' of fresh power and had to break trail.
3.The track floats and spins faster.
4.Mind blowing handling on trail and in the trees
5.Blows through bumps in the trail, like its groomed.
6.Can't figure out why it does so amazing in deep deep powder

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Your talking sx not st? I have heard good things about the new st as well.

Premium Features