• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Service Honda- 2013 KX500AF Build Project

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
looks very nice. She is gonna be a runner!!

Yep, Thanks Bryce! a couple short test runs and it is insane! It will scream WOT in all 5 gears in three feet of pow. Geared it to the moon. Now third is about 60mph. It will hydroplane and get on top of deep pow and float. It was a crazy feeling at first. To see what was really happening, I chopped the throttle and pulled in the clutch, and sunk to my gas tank! Track speed buddy! That's the goal. This is going to be too much fun.

025small.jpg

Last edited:
K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
Yep, Thanks Bryce! a couple short test runs and it is insane! It will scream WOT in all 5 gears in three feet of pow. Geared it to the moon. Now third is about 60mph. It will hydroplane and get on top of deep pow and float. It was a crazy feeling at first. To see what was really happening, I chopped the throttle and pulled in the clutch, and sunk to my gas tank! Track speed buddy! That's the goal. This is going to be too much fun.

YES its fast and YES you should let me ride it (im in bigfork mt:face-icon-small-hap)

S

snow gumby

Jul 30, 2011
North Idaho
Found a nice place to mount the carb heat switch. I removed the automatic thermostat sensor and wired in a simple on/off rocker switch with a red LED lite. QUOTE]

I'm adding the same kit to my bike and ready to wire up. My question is did you wire the rest of the KTM heater harness to the bike as is? Did you have to add a seperate ground to the switch? Sorry not that electrical savy.

Like what you did to the pipe. What size webing is that and how many rolls?

Thanks

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Found a nice place to mount the carb heat switch. I removed the automatic thermostat sensor and wired in a simple on/off rocker switch with a red LED lite. QUOTE]

I'm adding the same kit to my bike and ready to wire up. My question is did you wire the rest of the KTM heater harness to the bike as is? Did you have to add a seperate ground to the switch? Sorry not that electrical savy.

Thanks

The harness they give you is an in line replacement. You need to cut either the female or male connector off. Doesn't matter which, it's all the same circuit. Then drill and tap a ground for the three prong switch. The yellow hot goes to hot. The brown goes under the heater probe with the ring terminal. Those are your only two wires to the heater. The switch needs a third wire simply grounded to the frame anywhere. I drilled and tapped a 10/32 for that purpose in the sub-frame at the air box. Call or P.M. me with any questions.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

Thanks

I use the " insulating heat wrap", 2" wide. It takes a 50 ft roll. I over lap 1" and follow the seam one inch under your previous wrap. Keep it tight!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Oh yes, vid's will be made. You all have to hound Randy to keep his GoPro on! This year we will have some 3rd person perspective (not just helmet cams) and will put a little more production into the videos themselves. Everyone wants to see how this thing shreds and we need to do it some justice with better footage.

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
sounds great! always fun riding with new people. I have yet to ride a snowbike, we are thinking homemade snowbikes or tube frame/carbon fiber sleds for a project this upcoming summer.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Did a little make over last night. UFO black plastics, super moto front fender and a cool graphics kit. Today took the "monster" out today for a another test rip. Carb heat, carb jacket, EGT, inteli-jet, clean air intake, no snow build up, no carb ice. Rode in gas tank deep pow. Everything "spot on". Idles at altitude smoothly and is a crazy runner. Some vid's coming next!

002small.jpg 003small.jpg 005small.jpg 007small.jpg

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Thanks much AJ, It is coming along well. We will be sure to get some good vid's. We will also be unveiling a new proto type unit on this bike and a couple others. Exciting stuff.

Looking forward to the videos!
So when will the Unveiling take place. Im very curious as I'm very close to pulling the trigger on my first MH setup. Wondering if its worth waiting till next year.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Looks like youve gone all out on this build! very nice!
how are the big bore vibrations on the new chassis?

They are not bad. The first ride was obviously not the 450 four stroke feel. There is a big two stroke vibe in the bars. After the first few minutes, it was gone. I haven't even noticed any at all. Snow gear, etc, and hanging on tight while thinking %*@!!! made the vibes disappear! Magic!

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Looking forward to the videos!
So when will the Unveiling take place. Im very curious as I'm very close to pulling the trigger on my first MH setup. Wondering if its worth waiting till next year.

The unveiling will be a couple of weeks yet. It will blow your mind. It will be a snowcheck option only and expensive. For the riders who want to invest in a long term unit that nothing can touch, then you will want one. Hang tight, I will detail it as soon as possible.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The release of a new kit will make some more used units available for sale(as people upgrade) and drop the price into a range that more people can afford to get into the sport.
Lots of guys here looking . Just holding of because of cost.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
With the Service Honda ignition did you run a battery with the DC system ? I see with the AC you just hook a light up to it but with the DC unit it shows a battery. How did you do yours ?

Premium Features