• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Service Honda- 2013 KX500AF Build Project

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys,

Starting a new project. It is a Service Honda, 2013 KX500AF snow bike project. For those not familiar, The company, "Service Honda" builds "new" KX and CR 500 bikes in new 250F aluminum frames. www.servicehonda.com/ They weigh approx 25 to 30 lbs lighter that our standard 450F bikes, and produce nearly "double" the torque, and with engine performance options by "Forward Motion", produce nearly 80hp. www.eric-gorr.com My plan is to take a new 2013 Service Honda, KX500AF weighing 25 lbs less, and producing nearly 80hp, and make an explosive, light weight boondocker. I chose the KX over the CR for the cylinder advantages and exhaust power valve. It is un-crated and the building has begun. Have fun following along as this project comes together. All the technical issues concerning making a big 2 stroke work well in the snow will be addressed before it leaves the shop. A big thank you to A.J. at Service Honda, and Eric Gore at Forward Motion for their amazing work. The bike is a work of art.
Build over view -
1- 2013 KX500AF
2- Forward Motion, Grand Prix porting and head work
3-Penton Performance Ignition and Lighting Stator
4- Thunder Products Inteli-Jet
5- KTM electric carb heater
6- KTM 70C Thermostat
7- Moto Tassanari V-Force 3 Reeds
8- Mountain Horse Clean Air Intake system
9- Volcano Wrap, Insulating pipe wrap
10- Design Engineering 1500 degree silicone header sealer
11- Koso Fast Response EGT with Stinger Probe & Gauge
12- Carb Jacket
13- Rox 2" anti-vibe bar risers
14- Pro Circuit Bars
15- Oury Mountain Grips
16- Cycra Pro Bend guards
17- Pro Moto Snowbike Peg's with 3/4" shims

Time to get to work.....

re-sized.jpg

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
This is great I want to see how this goes... When you says a carb jacket this is something you are making correct either out of GoreTex fabric or molding one?... Not something that is out there commercially...

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
this thing is gonna be sweet! so edumacate us on the mountainhorse clean air intake!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
This is great I want to see how this goes... When you says a carb jacket this is something you are making correct either out of GoreTex fabric or molding one?... Not something that is out there commercially...

Exactly. a gortex jacket that will velcro closures as a jacket. Inside will be a heated carb. Warm and dry

T
Dec 1, 2012
sweet build

hello!
i joined this site to get more info on these bikes. your build is inspiration!
have you heard of the the new rage in carbs? APT SmartCarb.

i would like to build a similar machine with a 11-12' KTM 450 chassis and a cr5. soon.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
hello!
i joined this site to get more info on these bikes. your build is inspiration!
have you heard of the the new rage in carbs? APT SmartCarb.

i would like to build a similar machine with a 11-12' KTM 450 chassis and a cr5. soon.

Yes, I have heard of them. I will do some research. The PWK39 and the inteli-Jet work VERY well. Two key factors are that it has an air intake port in the metering unit that atomizes the fuel that enters. Not just liquid fuel. The other that is so key, is that it adds fuel based on vacuum pulse width, "load". You can be at a steady throttle position and RPM and when your "load" changes, so does your fuel. All the time maintaining a set EGT. I will have around 1150 degrees as the set point. Then you are spot on, all day. Not really any different than adjustable EFI. I will be working on that today and post pic's.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Yes, I have heard of them. I will do some research. The PWK39 and the inteli-Jet work VERY well. Two key factors are that it has an air intake port in the metering unit that atomizes the fuel that enters. Not just liquid fuel. The other that is so key, is that it adds fuel based on vacuum pulse width, "load". You can be at a steady throttle position and RPM and when your "load" changes, so does your fuel. All the time maintaining a set EGT. I will have around 1150 degrees as the set point. Then you are spot on, all day. Not really any different than adjustable EFI. I will be working on that today and post pic's.

Nice build. I use an intellijet on my Timbersled CR500 with a A/F gage and I can jetting spot on for riding conditions. Works great.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks mtn-doo!
It has been great working with you and timbersled on the first bit of this project, looking forward to the final out come !!!!
and some vids!!! :)

Thanks much AJ, It is coming along well. We will be sure to get some good vid's. We will also be unveiling a new proto type unit on this bike and a couple others. Exciting stuff.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Wired up the Regulator/Rectifier provided by Service Honda. Weather proof connections are very nice. Installed it in the air box. This will provide 12V DC Power for the Electric Carb Heater and Koso EGT.

005 small.jpg

Premium Features