• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled balance

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Ok so I got interested in the skinz sled balancing clip on youtube and thought since I had some scales I would give it a try on my Viper.

I found some pretty interesting things doing it and am still working on the suspension a bit, but my question is, with the few lightweight parts I have on it now it's weighing in around 590 ready to ride. That's with the tool kit and spare belt and a tunnel bag.

I weighed it the way I rode last year and got
162 front left
175 front right
52 center
and 199 rear

This works out to about a 57% front to 43% rear weight balance with no rider,
With me on it in a standing neutral position like I usually ride the weight shifts to
207 front left
208 front right
201 center and
240 rear
this is with just my work clothes.
those weights work out to 48.5 front -51.5 rear

I have tried a couple different air combos and mounting location changes to see what would happen and so far the empty weight is around 51 front 49 rear on most other setups and 45 front 55 rear with me on it.
Riding last year the sled did pretty well in most conditions, it bottomed out a couple times and I will be replacing the front spring heavier and the rear shock to a evol shock to help the bottoming issues.

So my question is to anyone who has tried this, what is more important to balance?

I know the sled shouldn't normally go without me on it but,

I am thinking the sled empty is more important to work on the balance that way I can use my body English to adjust the weight distribution when I ride,

or should I balance with me in a neutral position standing? or seated?

The issue with me on the sled is, it is very easy to manipulate the weight distribution if I lean just a little, so I am concerned it might not be as accurate as I want.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Thanks

That was the video that got me going down this path. I am just wondering if anyone has done it themselves and had riding experience afterwards, I understand that I need to load the back a little more based on my numbers but wanted to know if there was a target range people found worked best for them. Based on the video I'm thinking he was a little heavy on the rear at 57% so I'm gonna try to get around 52-53 and see what happens.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I would work on having it balanced with you on the sled, standing in a neutral riding position. If you want the ski's planted, more weight on the rear shock. If you want to pop the front end up then more weight should be on the center skid spring.

It really comes down to how you want to ride, and it may take a few rides in different conditions to find a sweet spot. Plus if you know you're going to be boondocking or chute climbing, snow conditions ect...all plays a factor in how you want to set up your shocks.

Premium Features