• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Products Carb Heater, APT and PWK

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
on the kawasaki we did avid and engine shrouds would run 190-200 pretty consistant.

day 2 of riding the thermostat stuck closed and was over 230 in a hurry. there was a possibility of the temp sensor hitting the thermo when open and could maybe cause a problem. robbie sent new thermo and it works again and also a extension to the temp sensor port to prevent possible contact. I hope its not aa bad batch of thermostats.

I have seen a few skidoo thermos fail in just a few days.

if your not getting your temps up with just the thermostat, and ill almost promise you wont spend the money on some good engine shrouds.

Robbie is sending me one as well. A new fitting that allows the probe to clear the stat as well as a new thermostat. Just trying to figure out if a thermostat is actually necessary.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
We ran in waist deep powder today and without a carb rap both smarties experienced some slide sticking. One was on a kx500 and one was on a ktm 300. 100 percent better than last year but will have to rap carb in light powder. I would not remove the thermostat. What happened to it??? Stick closed ???

I'm not surprised at all with Gman's experience. He stated that he had 130 degrees until he ran in waist deep snow. His engine was completely covered in snow, all the heat was going through the case and head of the engine to the snow. J&L Snowhawk is right on with his covers. It keeps the snow off the engine and allows the cooling system to operate.

Gman didn't state whether his heat returned when he was on the trail riding home. If it did, the system was operating as designed.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Its still a little early to tell but the 300 seems like it runs pretty cool. To only see 130 on the trail seems unusual to me since i see higher than that on the 500. Would be nice to hear from other 300 owners monitoring temps.

If this is the case on the 300 with a tstat i would want to make sure my stat is a true closed stat (no bleed holes) and a proper sized bypass line. This is how the thermobob setup works. Its kind of the secret to stable temps. Although on a snowbike if it gets above say 130F (130 stat) the cooling system is not really doing much for you. Thats where a snowcooler would come in handy.

Nix a rad, add a cooler, add a true closed stat with correct sized bypass and you will see true stabilized temps. Bike rads dont do much on the trail imo under load and going slow.

One other thing to remember is when u run these bikes in the hot summer a 300 runs much higher than 130F. On a XCW with factory stat those temps get hot in hard technical single track ! That stat only close when u shut the bike off LOL

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I have been testing several new 300's the past week for owners before they pick them up. All have the Avid heated Smart Carb set up with the Neoprene Carb jacket. None have tto's. My observation is; Quick warm up of the engine and carb heat collar and a cold radiator. Stat's working and heater working. After everything comes up to temp, the rads begin to warm, stat is opening. While riding, I periodically stop and open the carb jacket and feel the carb. The heat collar and entire carb body are very warm and dry. Everything is running smoothly and zero ice or temp issues. I will have a tto on my personal bike. I will report temps with it. Remember on these two strokes, we do not want four stroke temps in that 180 to 200 range. The OEM KTM stat is 130F. The two stroke engine shines a little cooler. Heat soaking a two stroke is not good. Enough heat through stat and recirc system to provide carb heat is all I am looking for. Slow forward speed doesn't provide air flow through the rads. When we are on the throttle working the engine but not moving forward fast enough for effective air flow, we build a lot of heat. I would be careful not to take it too far. The opposite is true running down the road. High speeds, ton's of air flow, rad's working super well and the thermostat and bypass system really shine.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Robbie you are right. Temps didn't come back up going off the hill. Late in day and not working the bike. Ordered carb jacket from pemco. Was surprised how good of a heat exchanger the carb was.lol. I also didn't plug my holes in Stat as wanted to see if I needed to.this is just a fyi.shields going on bike also

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I find temps going down are not as high as going up the hill. Less load and weight.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
What are you guys doing for a filter boot with the TSS when running a avid heater? The flange is bigger on the avid heater and don't fit the setup that comes with the tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
What are you guys doing for a filter boot with the TSS when running a avid heater? The flange is bigger on the avid heater and don't fit the setup that comes with the tss

No other 2 strokes with this problem

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Just use some silicone turbo housing off eBay... Most likely an elbow.. they have all type of sizes that reduce down ...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Premium Features