• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper MTX skid plate?

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
This is for my riding buddy who dinged his sparkly new Viper on her maiden voyage at Seeley today. Anyone have suggestions on skid plate options that don't make oil changes a hassle? The exchanger is intact, thank the snow gods. But while it goes back in for the turbo install, he would like to solve this problem forever... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418017908.906894.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418017927.184442.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418017937.735496.jpg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Ouch!!! that sucks Not sure there is anyone out there yet making an aftermarket skid plate for the viper. A plastic one looks like it wouldn't have helped in your case. I am sure someone will fill the need. Mountaintech makes a really nice one for the nytro maybe he will start making one for the viper. Good luck with the fix let us know what you end up doing

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I went over a rock and hit so softly I didn't feel it but it caught the edge of the aluminum and pulled it. I will be putting the plastic skid plate on mine not to stop major hits but to keep stuff from catching the edge.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Ouch!!! that sucks Not sure there is anyone out there yet making an aftermarket skid plate for the viper. A plastic one looks like it wouldn't have helped in your case. I am sure someone will fill the need. Mountaintech makes a really nice one for the nytro maybe he will start making one for the viper. Good luck with the fix let us know what you end up doing

I have 2 versions in the works.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Racewerx has a nice aluminum skid plate. Skinz has plastic. Arctic cat has a couple plastic versions. Z bros has a bumper/skid plate combo.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Ouch!!

I put the Zbroz bumper/skidplate on mine. I bought the old 1 piece design. The new version is 2 piece, which would aid in changing you oil.

I didn't wanna drill rivets to change oil, so I drilled the back 4 access holes through the skidplate to help hold it in place.

20141121_112721_zpsamapznsg.jpg

20141205_154112_zpscqzartky.jpg

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks Everyone for the feedback. He's settled on the ZBroz. setup, and it may even be here in time for riding again this weekend!

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Doesn't Yamaha make a skid plate for these vipers. I thought I seen some on ebay for sale. Looks like there are two kinds, one full plate and one skinny one that just goes down the center.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Well, the first ride or for my buddy with both his turbo installed and the zbroz skid plate and bumper. He's really happy with the turbo, and likes the skid plate. But he's not totally sold on the bumper. It's tucked in close to the nose and fits slightly below the plastic "prongs" on the front of the hood. So the hood will make contact with whatever you run into before the bumper does. I suspect he'll have it modified to include an additional horizontal bar that wraps around the nose, more like the Arctic Cat wrap around bumper.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I went with race werx it offers pretty good protection underneath and front end putting his boards on next he makes nice stuff but pricey

IMG_3251.JPG

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Well, the first ride or for my buddy with both his turbo installed and the zbroz skid plate and bumper. He's really badly with the turbo, and likes the skid plate. But he's not totally sold on the bumper. It's tucked in close to the nose and fits slightly below the plastic "prongs" on the front of the hood. So the hood will make contact with whatever you run into before the bumper does. I suspect he'll have it modified to include an additional horizontal bar that wraps around the nose, more like the Arctic Cat wrap around bumper.

Yes, it was designed around the M8 and they have a flat nose instead of coming to a point on the Viper.

Premium Features