• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing down 700 RMK/ good clutch set up

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Does anyone know how much i should gear down my 06 700 polaris ? I am wanting to gear it down and i have no idea how much i should go.

Also, does anyone have a realy good clutch set up they would be willing to share?

Also, what are soem realy good, cheep vents to help keep belt life up in thease beasts. I have surched and the cheepest and best looking are the SLP ones but im not sure if they are good enough to help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

R
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
I just went and talked to the polaris guy today and I was thinking of gearing down too. I live in michigan and he told me to go with a 19/41, I have a 2002 rmk 700 144". he told me that I would lose 4mph on the top end. I don't live out west so I wouldn't gear down any more than that, but since you live in montana you might want to gear down even more. I've heard alot of people talking about 19/43 that live out west. That's my two cents. when it comes to clutch i don't have any suggestions. sorry.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
you have to give more info to get an informed answer.......any mods on your sled? what elevation do you ride? exactly the sled....i.e. track length.
have run 19-42 on the last 5 sleds i have had. ride 9-11k.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
ok i ride a 2006 700 RMK with 151x2. Stock engine, new crank, 200 pound rider. I ride from 7500 ft and up. I plan on adding a few mods as i go like big wheel kit on the inside of the rails, a few vents, new running boards, and new skis. I don't think any of that will matter realy thoe.

Any other info you might need? btw, what is stock gearing? Im sorry, i realy don't know much about thease sleds but every one i talk to tells me that there is alot of performence to be gained by gearing it down and doing some clutch work.

Last edited:
R

RockinMntKing

Dec 10, 2007
Wibur, WA
Yeah, i ride a 05 700 rmk, i ride around 6000 and above, i have twin CPI pipes and a red/black secondary spring and a almound primary spring with 10-62 weights, i geared it down from 19/41 to 19/43. The climbin difference and accleration was impressively better. but i did loose about 5 mph at the top end, but really who cares i have more track speed while climbin. I would highly reccomend gearing down if you want a snappy sled that packs the skis and climbs well.

The stock gearing on a 06 is 20/41. I have a 06 700 with a 151 2.4 in track I put on holz spindles and powder pro skis. I highly recommend that as it about eliminates the front end push. I also have SLP can and airbox The running boards are going to be next. I also want to gear down, I'm thinking 19/42 and use the stock chain. I would also like to know if someone has some clutching info. Tons of info for the 900's on here but not so much for the 7's. I would guess a steeper helix and a little stiffer spring in the secondary.

Premium Features