• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

registering a trailer in ND to pull it in MT/WY???

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i just received my yearly reminder to pay the registration on my snowmobile trailer. it is $20/year here in ND. i am wondering if it pays to register it. i dont believe i have to register it for on the roads of ND. here is what i found online https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/mv/docs/faqtrailers.pdf

i am not a commercial user. i use the trailer for random, personal things and for hauling sleds to the mountains. it is not used in any commercial way.

towards the middle of that document, it states this.... My trailer is not required to be titled or licensed. How do I legally use it out of state? so if i got that one time, $5 plate i would be good to go out of state?

my trailer has been pulled over 2 times by MT's finest. nether time i was driving, but the cop never once bothered to even ask about the trailer. they just wanted the common documentation for the pickup, and of course the driver's license.

can i save my $20 i have been spending on it? dont even use a licence plate? at the very least, get one of those $5 plates? what do you other guys do?

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
We live in Bismarck and our understanding is that if we take our trailer(s) out of state then it is required that they are registered with a plate on the trailer itself.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Did you read the description in that link I had in the original post?

P
Jan 30, 2013
I am From bcr forum. Less than 1500# you can use a plate starting with the letter
P which is what I use for my 12 ft triton with a cap on. My PJ 14 ft utility has a factory wt above 1500 and requires a plate. Just pay it. I went fives to dmv to get a title for my sled trailer. I have been down this way to much
Pm me on bcr if you need more info

Premium Features